• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England Thread

tooextracool

International Coach
Hard Harry said:
The ball that got Lara looked like it kept lower than he expected
you really cant blame the pitch for that dismissal.....he came down the track,didnt get to the pitch of the ball and regardless of how much the ball bounced he would still have been out. it was a poor shot to a decent ball.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
I don't think you really believe that.

3 batsmen all with sub 10 averages lasting the best part of four hours when the top order haven't lasted that long?
Why not try? I can see a scenario where he'd gone hell for leather trying for personal glory, then throwing away his wicket. You can be sure that if that had happened everyone would be on his case about being unprofessional and whatnot. As it turned out, Shiv did his best to keep the tailenders off strike by not taking singles.

It has been done before, I was just reading in Dickie Bird's autobiography about how Len Hutton did exactly that - put on 100 with his number 11, who only faced one ball.

Dick Rockett

tooextracool said:
you really cant blame the pitch for that dismissal.....he came down the track,didnt get to the pitch of the ball and regardless of how much the ball bounced he would still have been out. it was a poor shot to a decent ball.
Yeah, I'm sort of indifferent about that one - it was a good ball. Still doesn't make Giles MOTM to me though.

I was more disappointed, my first time at Lord's, I wanted to see Lara get a decent score.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
You can't just drop Sarwan after 1 poor Test.

Also, correcting your technique isn't an overnight thing.
disappointing to see sarwan get out in the same manner that he did in the WI......7 out of 13 innings now that hes been out lbw against england. sometimes the best way to ensure that someone learns from their mistakes would be by dropping them from the side.

Dick Rockett

marc71178 said:
If Giles doesn't deserve it as he was lucky to get the wickets, how does Chanderpaul deserve it considering his second innings let-off?
Have to admit I didn't see much of the fourth day, I'm afraid, so can't comment on that one. What happened?

Dick Rockett

marc71178 said:
When he scored most of those runs in the second innings, what real pressure was there as the match was all but over?
I can tell you're a "glass is half empty" sort of guy, right?

What's the point in turning up if you don't try to do your job, to try to win, or at least not to lose? As I saw it, Chanderpaul did his best to keep the tail off strike. He didn't take any unnecessary risks when he scored his runs - still waited for the bad ball. He looked like a batsman who wants to stay out in the middle, and I admire that, whether it looks like certain defeat or not.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
disappointing to see sarwan get out in the same manner that he did in the WI......7 out of 13 innings now that hes been out lbw against england. sometimes the best way to ensure that someone learns from their mistakes would be by dropping them from the side.
Hugely disappointing. I wasn't surprised by the 1st day shambles, the consistently garbage fielding, or the brainless tail-end batting, but I really thought Sarwan had turned the corner and was going to make big runs.

It would now appear that he's made no progress at all. I wouldn't drop him though. I'd bring in Collymore for Edwards and Lawson for Best, if Best's unfit.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
Surprised so many people seem to be advocating dropping Sarwan, who, incidentally, scored 90, 40 and 261* in his three innings previous to this Test. Clearly he has a technical deficiency which is being exploited, but this is no reason to drop him. Obviously he will work hard over the next couple of days at correcting this, and there is no reason to suggest that any replacement will do any better, especially with little or no experience in English conditions.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
Well why not say that to your buddy Liam, he has on a few occasions commented, even diagreed with me and he has not seen it?

At hasn't stopped other people as well.
Please further explain your allegation. Give details such as when.

Mr Mxyzptlk

garage flower said:
Hugely disappointing. I wasn't surprised by the 1st day shambles, the consistently garbage fielding, or the brainless tail-end batting, but I really thought Sarwan had turned the corner and was going to make big runs.
It's just one Test.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Well it is Best's injury that would mean Banks stays in.
No, that is not the sole reason he's staying in.

Like Giles for England, he considerably strengthens the lower order and is a useful bowler.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
You never actually answered my question on what you define accurate (not in stats).
You really need me to define accuracy?? Accuracy is the ability to land on a good line and length to a particular batsman. That line and length varies with game situation, batsman etc., but generally is about just outside offstump to a righthander and about 2/3 down the pitch I'd say. For a spinner it is a length that will draw the batsman forward and consider driving without actually being there for the drive. The ability of a bowler to maintain whatever line and length he decides upon is accuracy.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
If Brian Lara didn't have a go at Tino Best for playing such a silly attempted slog I would be disappionted in Lara.

Nobody is expecting Best to hang in there and get 78*, but that was reckless to the extreme.
And who would chastise Lara for his silly shot?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Swervy said:
pretty old news really...is it really that big a deal
This has been going one for a while now, so it's not old news. And of course it's not a big deal. The West Indies team should be treated like crap. 8-) In fact, all touring teams should.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
here, here, i mean what the hell is a touring teams problem?!? someone should tell them where to get off. in fact, a touring side doesnt deserve to be a test playing nation. im going to sleep (thank goodness says all).

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Why does Graham Thorpe always back out of tours to India or an Ashes series? He has missed two of these events in the last few years. Or is it a coincidence?

Swervy

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
This has been going one for a while now, so it's not old news. And of course it's not a big deal. The West Indies team should be treated like crap. 8-) In fact, all touring teams should.
well i guess anything to divert attention from the cricket field is welcome relief for a WI supporter :D