• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England Thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Hard Harry said:
Hey, I'm certainly not belittling Vaughan's efforts here, but to me more pressure would have been on Chanderpaul with the match situation, also knowing how fragile your lower order is and how erratic your bowlers are.

When he scored most of those runs in the second innings, what real pressure was there as the match was all but over?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
I got it wrong so what?
You didn't just get it wrong, you made one of the silliest calls in a long time at an early stage of a game when he'd done no wrong.

chris.hinton said:
Marc Giles has Flighted the ball and look at the results he got 9 wickets for the first time you what him to bowl flat and its wrong
No it is not wrong.

A lot of situations call for the spinner to be the controlling bowler in the game, and if that is required at Edgbaston then I would have no hesitation in 100% supporting him bowling it flat and tying the game down.

I think you'll find it was at Lords earlier in the season when Giles bowled a super-length spell of flattish spin and in the process bowled England into a position from which they were chasing 286 rather than 350 or more.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
But Flight is his Strong Point, he bowls better
If the wicket isn't suited then flighting it will only cause him to concede a lot of runs - when will you understand that?

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Originally Posted by chris.hinton
But Flight is his Strong Point, he bowls better
If the wicket isn't suited then flighting it will only cause him to concede a lot of runs - when will you understand that?
When Worcestershire win the Pura Cup.

Cheers,

Mike

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Hard Harry said:
Not much, he didn't. I was sitting side on (in the Mound Stand) and he looked like a medium pacer from there.
Are you Chris Hinton in disguise?

Sorry, but how is having an average speed of 51 mph bowling flat?

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
marc71178 said:
When he scored most of those runs in the second innings, what real pressure was there as the match was all but over?
Of course there was pressure.Pressure to not be all out for under 200 and maybe coax a draw.That was in the cards if Best hadn't thrown his wicket away.I'm sure the result would have been much worse if he had gotten out.Also when you get let off like he did you have to try to make the best of it and not go back to your previous form.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Just saw the highlights of Tino Bests innings, had me in stitches, he obviously just fell for the banter completely and lost his head.

Chanderpaul looked in great nick though.

Anderson for Jones the only change IMO for England.

For WI i guess Collymore in for Best or if Best is fit (Holding reckons no chance) then Edwards to drop out.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
If Sarwan fails to correct his technique Joseph may get his Test debut.Not sure about Dwayne Smith.Lawson has more of a chance as a batsman than he does.I'll be glad when Marlon Samuels comes back until Smith sorts out his problems.He needs to go play County Cricket for a while that is if anyone will sign him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
roseboy64 said:
Of course there was pressure.Pressure to not be all out for under 200 and maybe coax a draw.That was in the cards if Best hadn't thrown his wicket away.

I don't think you really believe that.

3 batsmen all with sub 10 averages lasting the best part of four hours when the top order haven't lasted that long?

Revelation

U19 Debutant
Sarwan scored 261* (admittedly vs Bangladesh) just a couple months ago. He is also WI Vice Captian and averages over 40. He isn't going anywhere.

Edwards should be rested and Collymore be given a chance.

Lara and Logie should sit down and read the riot act to Tino Best;put your discipline act together or be faced with not playing.

Banks should remain, if only because there isn't anyone to take over from him. It won't make sense to play dwayne smith; Bravo should also be able to retain his place

MY ASSESSMENT OF THE FIRST TEST:

England played well but there were crucial moments that would have turned it WI way, including some chances that went abegging and a couple of bad umpiring decisions. West Indies showed that they are indeed a good batting side but their bowling is still a bit of a worry. What seems to be favouring WI though, is that once they can manage to prise out a few wickets, England look anything but stable as was shown on the second day of the match when they went from 391/2 to 568 all out. Overall, WI played just about average with the team that they had. Improvements can happen with the bowling and lower order batting. England take a 1-0 series lead. I can't see anything that will prevent them from making that 2-0 in the 2nd Test save a huge WI improvement. I can't say that i am terribly disappointed with WI performance, but i do look forward to some improvements. I think that Lara needs to get 10,000 (115 away) out of the way as soon as possible as does Chanderpaul who needs 20 more to get to 5,000.

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
I don't think you really believe that.

3 batsmen all with sub 10 averages lasting the best part of four hours when the top order haven't lasted that long?
But you always have to give yourselves the chance?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
But you always have to give yourselves the chance?
Yes, but with the level of expectancy on him, it made AA's superb Lords ton look like a real knife-edge job.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Revelation said:
England played well but there were crucial moments that would have turned it WI way, including some chances that went abegging and a couple of bad umpiring decisions.

You have to counterbalance them with the ones that went WI's way though.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
A few observations. Not that they mean anything :) but Sarwan has had the exact same problem in all of the tests vs England this winter. He then claimed to have 'sorted' it for the one day games (which to be fair he did seem to have done) but has no gone back to his old ways it seems.
I cant see them dropping Best just cos of his batting, yes he needs telling off but he is a tailender at the end of the day and is there for his bowling.

I also noticed how england never seem to get the respect they deserve over the last year. Its always stuff like 'England played well but there were crucial moments that would have turned it WI way' etc. But thats how 99% of test matches are won. You cant play at a super high level for all 5 days so you have to pace yourself and take control for those few cruicial sessions when you need to.

Swervy

International Captain
Revelation said:
MY ASSESSMENT OF THE FIRST TEST:

England played well but there were crucial moments that would have turned it WI way, including some chances that went abegging and a couple of bad umpiring decisions. West Indies showed that they are indeed a good batting side but their bowling is still a bit of a worry. What seems to be favouring WI though, is that once they can manage to prise out a few wickets, England look anything but stable as was shown on the second day of the match when they went from 391/2 to 568 all out. Overall, WI played just about average with the team that they had. Improvements can happen with the bowling and lower order batting. England take a 1-0 series lead. I can't see anything that will prevent them from making that 2-0 in the 2nd Test save a huge WI improvement. I can't say that i am terribly disappointed with WI performance, but i do look forward to some improvements. I think that Lara needs to get 10,000 (115 away) out of the way as soon as possible as does Chanderpaul who needs 20 more to get to 5,000.
Right then ..here is a neutrals overview of the game:

WI bowling on day one was shambolic, amongst the worst I have ever seen at test level. Most disapointing for me was Edwards, for me his first spell on day one basically let England off the hook as before then Best didnt bowl to badly and COllins was a bit erratic but again not too bad. After Edwards came on, WI lost the plot and England took full advantage. Key and Strauss batted brilliantly.

Day two saw a turn around. From The start WI bowled better, but England still played well enough to score pretty quickly before lunch...After lunch Collins bowled well, and England fell apart a bit,but I did get the impression a lot of that was due to the fact that they had already amassed a very large total and they were trying for fairly quick runs. In the end, I think Englands quick demise in the first innings probably did them more good than harm, as it advanced the game to what 5 or 10 years ago would have been about a half way through the 3 rd day situation.

WI came on strong batting, but it always felt that England only needed to be patient and the wickets would come..and they did. Yes Lara shouldnt have been out, but that is cricket.Honours even on day 2

Day 3..WI did a good job,mainly thanks to Chanderpaul , to get up to 416, but I think it was really game over by that point anyway...England would always have the firepower to score quickly when needed vs a struggling WI attack. Vaughan batted brilliantly, and the stroke play by him and Flintoff during their 92 run partnership in 11 was breath taking at times. That partbership allowed England to set a huge target and have enough time to bowl WI out..which is exactly what happened...England outclassed the WI batting in the second innings as a whole. Nothing the likes of Best etc could do about it, WI were never going to save that game as soon as Lara was out to a snorter by Giles.

In conclusion, I think England proved that they are light years ahead of WI in test cricket now, and I really dont see how WI can even consider winning one test in this series. I am going for a 4-0 win, unless the weather intervenes or WI get a hell of a lot better very very quickly (I hope they do, coz this is going to turn nasty if they dont)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
You have to counterbalance them with the ones that went WI's way though.
One decision that I can remember. The others were far from plumb or not out. Also, that was the only one that cost anything.