• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Australia

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It's unorthodox, but it works for him.

Anyway, both Lee and Bracken have been excellent today. Lee in particular has really impressed me. I've never seen him bowl so consistently accurately in a test match. 15 runs from 8 overs, with a wicket and plenty of plays and misses as well.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
It's unorthodox, but it works for him.

Anyway, both Lee and Bracken have been excellent today. Lee in particular has really impressed me. I've never seen him bowl so consistently accurately in a test match. 15 runs from 8 overs, with a wicket and plenty of plays and misses as well.
It's pretty easy to bowl when you've got 500 to defend.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
It's pretty easy to bowl when you've got 500 to defend.
Actually, I think if you're Brett Lee it's probably harder to bowl with the discipline he has today when you're defending 500. The temptation would be to blaze away and try anything for a wicket, but he's stuck to line and length and relegated his variations to just that, variations. The pitch could be flatter and the batting could be better, but that doesn't alter the fact that he's been very good in both spells.

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
Yeah he's bowled well. But i think Lee struggles a bit when he goes for too much pace. I think his early spell today was his best, when he was consistently bowling around the 137 mark and getting a bit of movement thru the air. He loses that when he tries to bowl to quick. And I don't think it was just a case of the ball being new, cos Brackens bowling about the same pace and still getting good movement.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ordinary decision from Rudi for Chanders and nasty ball to Sarwan to follow it up. Always the way.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
150 k bouncer to Ramdin by Lee. Hmm.

He is bowling all out fast now with another one just hitting the bat.

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
Good to see a bit of venom from the aussies. We were a bit soft during the Ashes IMO, there was too much backslapping and photogenic smiles going on

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
When was the last time there was a test inning Australia bowled in which neither Warne nor McGrath got a wicket?

Top_Cat

Good to see a bit of venom from the aussies. We were a bit soft during the Ashes IMO, there was too much backslapping and photogenic smiles going on
Yeah funny how they always look venomous against weaker teams yet blink against teams of similar strength.

I think the word you're looking for is 'bullying'.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Well, my bloody hard-drive got fried, and I haven't been around for a couple of days. A few observations:

a) Ponting sometimes captains like he has a team of losers. He operates like he has no faith in his bowlers to knock over a a team cheaply that they just dismissed 200 runs behind, and like he has no faith in his batsmen to chase a target, no matter how small. I guess people's evaluation of his captaincy in this regard will depend on whether they think he's right to have such low confidence in his players. Obviously Australia has had some bad experiences chasing small totals over the last decade or so, but they've also knocked some off with consumate ease. I don't expect him to cop stick over the declaration or follow-on though, because it seems like this will only happen when the team loses (in which case, he's a fine captain... and then suddenly, he's bad).

b) Chanderpaul should have batted first. Not that it would have necessarily changed the result, but IMO, you bat first unless you have a really, really good reason to send the opposition in. Given Australia's obvious desire to bat first, he should have ensured they didn't get what they most enjoy - the opportunity to post a good total and then pressurise and dominate the opposition for the rest of the match.

c) This is just my opinion, but given that Ponting didn't enforce the follow-on, and was willing to pad out to a lead of 500 or so, wouldn't it have been better maybe to demote himself down the order and give the middle order a bit of a hit under a minimum amount of pressure in order to hopefully get them some much-needed confidence? Dunno. He'd already made a century in the match already, and Katich, Clarke and Watson could maybe have done with the extra time at the crease.

d) I reckon Bracken's played all right this game. This team has been in dire need of someone very economical to tie things up in support of the strike bowlers. Wouldn't mind seeing him given a bit of a go for a while, spinning tracks aside.

e) How serious is Watson's injury? I had the sound down, and he left the field clutching his arm as if it was dislocated.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Again, Lee gets a wicket. Fast, accurate bouncers, followed by a length delivery that moves away off the pitch and gets the edge. Brilliant bowling.

Top_Cat

Now THAT was a good wicket for Lee. Quick (148km/h), moving away and drew the stroke. Excellent stuff.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Top_Cat said:
Yeah funny how they always look venomous against weaker teams yet blink against teams of similar strength.

I think the word you're looking for is 'bullying'.
LOL, that's actually along the lines of what I was thinking. You always tend to look a little more friendly and less arrogant when you're being beaten. This is not a direct criticism of the Aussies in particular, just a general statement.