• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Australia

Slow Love™

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Really intelligent stuff from Lee, as mentioned. The best he's bowled in a test match ever, in my opinion. 5/30 against the West Indies isn't that stunning on paper, but I thought he was really good.
You can only bowl to the opposition you're given - but he consistently put it in the right places, and looked to have some real direction today. Against a better team his stats might not have looked as good, but it would still be regarded as a fantastic spell of aggressive fast bowling. Didn't get carried away or stupid, either. And while what vic said can be true, and it's easy to bowl well when defending a high total, it's also easy to bowl really badly in the same situation. :p

He's still got a lot to prove in test cricket though. We really need to see a lot more of this from him.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Slow Love™ said:
I've got the volume down - what did he say? I guess on a superficial level you could say that they both have what have been judged to be "overly" laid-back attitudes and a very high level of potential not quite fulfilled....
Very talented players, play similarly but under utilised or some thing on those lines.

Now if you say two players are similar you see their batting shots and not just talent. Samuels, what Liam mentioned, may still have some issues versus spin. He is a player I hope can be a quality player for the Windies.

Hooper on the other hand was superb versus spin. Completely different players apart from maybe both having talent.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hopefully, some people will give credit where it is due.

Lee, with the exception of his first spell, bowled beautifully in this match whilst Bracken was excellent throughout.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't get carried away or stupid, either. And while what vic said can be true, and it's easy to bowl well when defending a high total, it's also easy to bowl really badly in the same situation.
Proof; Lee himself has certainly done exactly that before!

Lee bowled really well in the second-innings and if he can produce more of the type of delivery that knocked over Ramdin, he'll be much tougher to play. Bracken swung the ball really nicely and pretty late but it wasn't hooping. I wonder how he'll do when the conditions aren't quite so good for swing-bowling.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Very talented players, play similarly but under utilised or some thing on those lines.

Now if you say two players are similar you see their batting shots and not just talent. Samuels, what Liam mentioned, may still have some issues versus spin. He is a player I hope can be a quality player for the Windies.

Hooper on the other hand was superb versus spin. Completely different players apart from maybe both having talent.
"Similar" is different to "alike in all respects" though - as long as you're just comparing specific aspects that you find similar (for example, Sachin Tendulkar and the South African cricket team are hardly alike, but they are similar in that they both choke when the heat is on. :p).

I probably haven't noted enough of Samuels' performance against spin to judge him on that basis, but it's true that Hooper was very good. I actually really miss that guy, and I think West Indian cricket made a disastrous decision (far from their first, or the last, for that matter) to sack him after the '03 World Cup. I really thought that team was turning the corner at the time.

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
Look i think he got a bit of movement early on, but once he got that 'i must bowl as fast as possible' thing going again, he was back to the Lee of old. His success was mostly down to poor batting for mine

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
parttimer said:
Look i think he got a bit of movement early on, but once he got that 'i must bowl as fast as possible' thing going again, he was back to the Lee of old. His success was mostly down to poor batting for mine
Like when he got Ramdin with a series of bouncers followed by one that seamed away and got the edge? Shocking batting that.

thierry henry

International Coach
I dunno if this has been mentioned, but does the current WI team have the worst tail in living memory? I know people talk about the English tail in the '99 series v NZ, where they had Caddick (who could occasionally get a few runs) at 8, and then utter bunnies at 9, 10, 11, but I reckon this one is worse. Numbers 8,9,10,11 are all genuine number 11 batsmen.

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
FaaipDeOiad said:
Like when he got Ramdin with a series of bouncers followed by one that seamed away and got the edge? Shocking batting that.
He may bowl a good un every now and then, like he did when he got Flintoff. But the majority of his bowling is rubbish

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Did I get the prediction right or what? BTW, that was a good catch by HAyden to get rid of Lara, who was once again, looking pretty solid. I am afraid a 3-0 whitewash looms large on the horizon for the Windies, and worse still, I don't think LAra will be able to make even a half century in this series. :(

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Can anyone give me a full description of how Watson got injured?

I only saw it in passing, and people have been asking me about it.

Eclipse

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Really intelligent stuff from Lee, as mentioned. The best he's bowled in a test match ever, in my opinion. 5/30 against the West Indies isn't that stunning on paper, but I thought he was really good. And, obviously, the best Bracken has bowled in a test as well. And, no wickets to either Warne or McGrath.
good to see him get rewards for bowling good line and length.. hopefully this convinces him that it works and he never goes back to his bouncer yorker ways..

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Prince EWS said:
Can anyone give me a full description of how Watson got injured?

I only saw it in passing, and people have been asking me about it.
Mid-on, dived rather brilliantly to stop a ball, and just jarred his shoulder on impact. Grabbed it, mouthed something to Ponting and then left the field holding it.

King_Ponting

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
Mid-on, dived rather brilliantly to stop a ball, and just jarred his shoulder on impact. Grabbed it, mouthed something to Ponting and then left the field holding it.
probably bruising, he always acts like its more serious than it is....

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Continuously bagging out Watson is really getting old.

Hes not even half as bad as you make out.

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. Doesnt sound all that serious; hope hes alright.

Eclipse

International Debutant
King_Ponting said:
probably bruising, he always acts like its more serious than it is....
**** off this is getting a bit old..

fine don't like him as a player but no need to rubbish his character as well.