• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Australia

Blaze

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
Wow, two huge wickets there, pretty much put the game to bed. 2 each for Bracken and Lee now.

? are you serious? The game was never in doubt.

I reckon WI would give Aus a run for their money if Warne, McGrath and one of their top 6 wern't playing.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Slow Love™ said:
Well, my bloody hard-drive got fried, and I haven't been around for a couple of days. A few observations:

a) Ponting sometimes captains like he has a team of losers. He operates like he has no faith in his bowlers to knock over a a team cheaply that they just dismissed 200 runs behind, and like he has no faith in his batsmen to chase a target, no matter how small. I guess people's evaluation of his captaincy in this regard will depend on whether they think he's right to have such low confidence in his players. Obviously Australia has had some bad experiences chasing small totals over the last decade or so, but they've also knocked some off with consumate ease. I don't expect him to cop stick over the declaration or follow-on though, because it seems like this will only happen when the team loses (in which case, he's a fine captain... and then suddenly, he's bad).
I was actually waiting for your view on this given we had similar views when India did not enforce the follow on in India's tour of Australia the last time around to see if we would differ on this. Glad to know you have similar thoughts on this as well.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Blaze said:

I reckon WI would give Aus a run for their money if Warne, McGrath and one of their top 6 wern't playing.
You've virtually got three members of the top order not playing ATM...

:ph34r:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:

I'm not saying the game was in doubt, I'm saying that those wickets put the game to bed, as in removed most of the interest from it.

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
Top_Cat said:
Yeah funny how they always look venomous against weaker teams yet blink against teams of similar strength.

I think the word you're looking for is 'bullying'.
Interesting comment. My take on it is that Ponting and Buchs now think their new softly softly approach, whatever u do don't throw the ball back at the batsman and glare at him in case you offend him, spirit of cricket rubbish was a disadvantage. A bit of the old iceman steve waughish steel is now back in the team.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Why cant Bracken try a bit of a middle stump line with the swing he is generating?

And he does that for the first ball I see, defended.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looks like some decent shape into the batsmen Bracken is getting. Wow, haven't seen that from an Aussie pacer for a while!

Slow Love™

International Captain
Pratyush said:
I was actually waiting for your view on this given we had similar views when India did not enforce the follow on in India's tour of Australia the last time around to see if we would differ on this. Glad to know you have similar thoughts on this as well.
Well, I guess Ponting was far less likely to run out of time than Ganguly was (unless rain played a significant part), but IMO, this has become something of a complex for the Australians - both in terms of enforcing the follow-on, and in terms of setting 500+ totals. Vaughan shows far more confidence in his players than Ponting does, and I think they respond.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Slow Love™ said:
Well, I guess Ponting was far less likely to run out of time than Ganguly was (unless rain played a significant part), but IMO, this has become something of a complex for the Australians - both in terms of enforcing the follow-on, and in terms of setting 500+ totals. Vaughan shows far more confidence in his players than Ponting does, and I think they respond.
Yeah. I didnt mean to compare the two ocassions. Just that I get the feeling Ponting is a very conservative captain. You have quality players in the team. Have some faith in them!

Slow Love™

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Yeah. I didnt mean to compare the two ocassions. Just that I get the feeling Ponting is a very conservative captain. You have quality players in the team. Have some faith in them!
Maybe seeing Bracken and Lee bowl such good spells here will help his confidence. Or maybe not. :) Hopefully Lee can keep this up through the series, 'cause I do think that he's bowled intelligently today. He's definitely capable of it.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Really intelligent stuff from Lee, as mentioned. The best he's bowled in a test match ever, in my opinion. 5/30 against the West Indies isn't that stunning on paper, but I thought he was really good. And, obviously, the best Bracken has bowled in a test as well. And, no wickets to either Warne or McGrath.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Samuels has NO similarity to Hooper. Ian Chappell is crazy.
I've got the volume down - what did he say? I guess on a superficial level you could say that they both have what have been judged to be "overly" laid-back attitudes and a very high level of potential not quite fulfilled....