• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
honestbharani said:
I am not saying Australia WILL lose, but my hunch and in fact, prediction, is that they may well lose. Plus, it just seems to me that they will miss McGrath more than Gilly or Warne. Don't ask me why, but it seems to be the case.
Ahahaha ,So your saying they will lose hahaha Classic stuff honestbhrani dont think you meant it but youve just said........Jeez, no McGrath = an Aussie loss. It always seems to work that way.

then followed up with...I am not saying Australia WILL lose, but my hunch and in fact, prediction, is that they may well lose. Well done m8

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Jono said:
Well I went to Wednesday's game, which was a disappointment both in atmosphere and through the World XI's performance (was delighted for Vettori though). I am going for the Friday and Sunday games too, and I was really hoping for Friday's game to make up for Wednesday but if the World XI belt Australia or even put up a good performance its going to be tainted (with justification too) without McGrath there.
Jono,i made it along as well, What about the ticket prices,,,mine was 125 dollars for 2nd level,Even though i got it for free thats not the point,$125 and 46 for cheapest seats just seems a bit much,even for the worlds best,i said to the guy we (aussies) see the worlds best every summer and dont have to pay that amount hahaha, Agree on the atmosphere but at no stage did the ROW look like getting close,this made it impossible to get any excitment among the crowd, about the only excitment was the guys trying to start the mexican wave about 20 times before half succeding oh and the noisey efforts by the Sri Lanken crowd trying to get some life into the ROW team, I think there pride would have been *****ed and they will be chucking the kitchen sink at the Oz today huh? expect fireworks in this do or die game for them. 11 champions dont like being humiliated like that and we cant afford to give these guys lives by dropped catches as they will eventually make us pay...

Blaze

Banned
Haha I love Bill Lawry in the commentary box. He is one of those people that are so biased that it is laughable and not annoying to listen to.

I love it when something goes against Australia, he tries to act neutral but his Australian passion comes through. I wish the other comentators would whind him up a bit more.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
jlo33692 said:
You will admit though that the both allrounders i have said,Kallis and Symonds are a class above Freddie in the batting stakes wouldnt you?
Kallis, maybe, but Symonds - what are you basing this on?

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
greg said:
It's a debate that could be had, but he's certainly not "a class apart".
Class above i said not class apart. I mean IMO he is a better batsman in ODI, In the best ODI team in perhaps the history of the game he has been the stand out ,clearly best batsman in the last 18 months,IMO without peer in world ODI, In tests Kallis as a test batsman is the best in the world over last 2 years. Kallis bowling figures have diminished as he has moved up to occupy no 3 batting slot,in early days when he was a bowler who was bowling at same or faster pace than flintoff his allrounder staus was not in question,as age has caught up and he is pro longing his carrer he has mostly been a part time bowler. As will happen to Mr Flintoff as he gets older,,,IMO ,as an All rounder bat and Bowl,i would have freddie as a bat in test id have kallis as a bat at ODI id certainly take Symonds

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well even though i really didn't want to see Clark n e where near the the aussie team let the ODI side, but i saw him bowl in the nets at OT when Australia where here before the 3rd ashes test and his action looks simple, but i'll be supporting him to do well & Australia to play well again & go 2-0 up before i head of to school tommorrow morning...

Go aussies

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
yea slighty
Slightly? Blatantly!

While his bowling is not at the level of Flintoff, they play 2 very different roles. Flintoff is a strike bowler and is expected to take wickets. Symonds will usually bowl his 10 but his job is to bowl economically and pick up 1 or 2 wickets. If he gets a bag of them it is a bonus.

Both players have improved in the ODI form since the selectors/captains realised that they are batsman and not sloggers and put them in batting positions that reflect that.

Symonds does his job exceptionally well for his team, as does Flintoff. If they were doing the same role then you could compare them, but they don't so saying one is better than the other is only going to lead to more arguments.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But the thing is, even though Symonds is picked to stop runs and Flintoff to take wickets, Flintoff still remains a lot more economical...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
But the thing is, even though Symonds is picked to stop runs and Flintoff to take wickets, Flintoff still remains a lot more economical...
So? Big deal. Symonds usually bowls spin so is likely to be a bit more expensive.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fred does bowl at the death, yeah. Anyone remember his shirt-off celeb v India on our last tour back before he was so swelte? Not nice..... :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Fred does bowl at the death, yeah. Anyone remember his shirt-off celeb v India on our last tour back before he was so swelte? Not nice..... :p
haha how can i forget, Freddie had a huge tummy then :D

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Mister Wright said:
I'm not 100% sure, you'll have to ask Marc on that one.
Yeah, im with mr wright...It is just an opinion,but you wont get many aussies saying anyone in ODI cricket is a better batsman than Symonds for last 18 month,he is the MAN...go symo

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hold up Kyle & Marc aren't we debating who is better ODI batsman between Freddie & Symo??, whats all this stuff about bowling....