• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

Craig

World Traveller
What a downer really and it disappionted me. It had promised so much and for that to happen left it a lot to be desired.

Crap crowd and rubbish batting from the World XI spoiled it for me.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With Stuart Clark coming in for Pigeon, White might actually get to do something this game

BoyBrumby

Englishman
andyc said:
Well that's clever, isn't it, getting rid of one of the world's most exciting batsmen.
Gayle's no slouch, but yeah I agree. I imagine Afridi was selected partly with an eye on him putting bums on seats. If he fires he's pretty thrilling to watch.

dinu23

International Debutant
andyc said:
Well that's clever, isn't it, getting rid of one of the world's most exciting batsmen.
I think Gayle's loads better than Afridi. u just can't rely on Afridi.

andyc

dinu23 said:
I think Gayle's loads better than Afridi. u just can't rely on Afridi.
But you can rely on him to draw spectators. I'd love to see him slog a few.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
andyc said:
I think it might have something to do with the fact that his one day batting average is less than batting greats like Charles Coventry, Ravindu Shah, Maurice Ouma and Hitesh Modi, and is only fractionally better than Irfan Pathan!

Not to mention the fact that he got out for 2 playing a horrible shot to one of the all-time great offspinners in Andrew Symonds.

Last edited:

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Prince EWS said:
I think it might have something to do with the fact that his one day batting average is less than batting greats like Charles Coventry, Ravindu Shah, Maurice Ouma and Hitesh Modi, and is only fractionally better than Irfan Pathan!

Not to mention the fact that he got to for 2 playing a horrible shot to one of the all-time great offspinners in Andrew Symonds.
I wouldnt really hold it against someone for getting out to Andy Symonds. He usually chimes in with one or two.

Scaly piscine

Hopefully Afridi getting dropped might add to the motivation of the ICC World XI side, Afridi is virtually a walking wicket against Australia anyway.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Linda said:
I wouldnt really hold it against someone for getting out to Andy Symonds. He usually chimes in with one or two.
94 wickets in 125 matches @ 36.71 (38.27 against non-Bangladesh sides..)

Not really someone a world-class batsman should get out to.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
andyc said:
I'd say Gayle's just as exciting as Afridi on his day - I saw his 60-ball 80 in the Test at Lord's last year and that was unbeliveable stuff. He hit Hoggard for six fours in a 6-ball over, apparently the first time it's ever been done in Test cricket.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm a little surprised we in Melbourne were able to watch the whole game though - I'd assumed before the match that it was because it was a sellout. But perhaps the fact that it was live on TV locally had something to do with the poor attendance? There's been suggestions that the admission price was too steep also.
I believe that Channel 9 recently signed a deal allowing them to broadcast against the gate in all centres - which has its biggest effect in Melbourne, because we never sell out the 'G.

Scaly piscine

Prince EWS said:
94 wickets in 125 matches @ 36.71 (38.27 against non-Bangladesh sides..)

Not really someone a world-class batsman should get out to.
If it was Tests then yea, but in ODIs it's different.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Jeez, no McGrath = an Aussie loss. It always seems to work that way. For all that is said and written about Gilly and Warne, it always seems to be McGrath who is their talisman.

Steulen

International Regular
honestbharani said:
Jeez, no McGrath = an Aussie loss. It always seems to work that way. For all that is said and written about Gilly and Warne, it always seems to be McGrath who is their talisman.
Yeah, well, you can't have a Super Series that's done and dusted after two games, now can you?