• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
honestbharani said:
lol, any commentary without Jeff Thompson is good in my book. :D
Any commentary with Bill Lawry, Tony Greig, Mark Taylor and Ian Chappell cannot be considered as even 'pretty good'.

Mister Wright

honestbharani said:
I don't mind Ian Chappell of that lot. But yes, the others aren't that great.
I will never forgive Ian Chappell when he suggested that batsman should warn the bowlers when they are going to play the reverse sweep because bowlers have to let the batsman know when they are bowling around the wicket. Not only did he say this he said it with such belief that he was actually serious and not joking. It is IMO the worst call in a commentary box and he has some many other corkers. While he has good knowledge of the game he ruins it all with stupid comments. After him Taylor is the most boring commentator ever and Greig and Lawry are past it. Time for a generational change.

Healy and Slater to head up the team with Benaud being used as a guest commentator.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Mister Wright said:
I will never forgive Ian Chappell when he suggested that batsman should warn the bowlers when they are going to play the reverse sweep because bowlers have to let the batsman know when they are bowling around the wicket. Not only did he say this he said it with such belief that he was actually serious and not joking. It is IMO the worst call in a commentary box and he has some many other corkers. While he has good knowledge of the game he ruins it all with stupid comments. After him Taylor is the most boring commentator ever and Greig and Lawry are past it. Time for a generational change.

Healy and Slater to head up the team with Benaud being used as a guest commentator.
lol, yeah, that was weird. He even said that the reverse sweep should be outlawed. The only sensible he did say in relation to that shot was that the harsh leg side wide rule should not apply when the batsman is looking to reverse sweep. Somehow, I tend to agree with that. Otherwise, I just hit the mute button when someone reverse sweeps and Ian is the commentator.

Mister Wright

burkey_1988 said:
What chance does Australia have, honestly ?
Very little. However, (and I know it's a cliche) but on the day when both teams turn up they have equal chance of winning the game. Who honestly gave Bangladesh a chance of winning a game in the Natwest Series, let alone one against Australia?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Mister Wright said:
Very little. However, (and I know it's a cliche) but on the day when both teams turn up they have equal chance of winning the game. Who honestly gave Bangladesh a chance of winning a game in the Natwest Series, let alone one against Australia?
True, but where are weak links in that World XI side ? All the batsman are world-class, so as soon as you get one out another just comes in. Vettori and Akhtar might be a target for the batsmen, but that's assuming they don't have the best of days.

Wheras, Australia will have Cameron White. A good young player, but nowhere in the league of the supertars in the Australian and World XI sides

Mister Wright

burkey_1988 said:
True, but where are weak links in that World XI side ? All the batsman are world-class, so as soon as you get one out another just comes in. Vettori and Akhtar might be a target for the batsmen, but that's assuming they don't have the best of days.

Wheras, Australia will have Cameron White. A good young player, but nowhere in the league of the supertars in the Australian and World XI sides
That's true, but at the end of the day the World XI players are only human. We saw a middle order collapse against Victoria and if that were to happen against Australia there would probably be more pressure on them. McGrath, Lee and Symonds are all very good one day bowlers and are experienced enough to keep the pressure on. It is a step up in class from the Victorian side.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
It'll be interesting to see how the Aussies perform. This would be the first time in quite a while they weren't favourites in a series. That said, the pressure is on after the Ashes loss.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Mister Wright said:
Australia name their side also:

Super Series teams named

I hope that isn't the Australian batting order, because I'd hate to see Symonds shoved down to 7 or 8.
Thats a long batting lineup though, even if one was used as a super sub.

I doubt Symonds would come in that low, TBH. He's much more effective batting with another batsman, rather than the tail.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a pretty good balance IMO. The side should be able to adapt well to different situations, especially if the Supersub has to be used early if the toss doesn't go Australia's way.

Mister Wright

SquidAU said:
Thats a long batting lineup though, even if one was used as a super sub.

I doubt Symonds would come in that low, TBH. He's much more effective batting with another batsman, rather than the tail.
It is a very long batting line-up. But, it's been shown that Symonds doesn't suit the lower order hitter or pinch hitter role. He is a batsman and needs to play himself in. He scores quickly enough anyway. He should keep his spot at 5.

I'd like to see an order of:

Gilchrist
Katich
Ponting
Martyn
Symonds
Clarke
Watson
White/Hussey
Lee
Bracken
McGrath

with White or Hussey being the super sub.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Mister Wright said:
It is a very long batting line-up. But, it's been shown that Symonds doesn't suit the lower order hitter or pinch hitter role. He is a batsman and needs to play himself in. He scores quickly enough anyway. He should keep his spot at 5.

I'd like to see an order of:

Gilchrist
Katich
Ponting
Martyn
Symonds
Clarke
Watson
White/Hussey
Lee
Bracken
McGrath

with White or Hussey being the super sub.
That lineup is a pretty powerful one, even if White was to play. Which I suspect he will be given the greenlight to play tomorrow, since we usually have not gone without a decent leggie in the side.

Mister Wright

burkey_1988 said:
I'd put Hussey above Watson, but White below Watson
Yeah, I agree. However, Watson is in a similar mould to Symonds where he isn't really a hit from the start kind of a batsman, which is not what you want at 8. However in the one day game he is considered more of a bowling option than that of a batting option I guess. :thumbdown

It would probably be better if Martyn weren't in the side so Symonds could bat at 4 and push the others up one, and he may not be there for much longer.

Mister Wright

SquidAU said:
That lineup is a pretty powerful one, even if White was to play. Which I suspect he will be given the greenlight to play tomorrow, since we usually have not gone without a decent leggie in the side.
Yes we have, we've been going with Hogg now for 3 years.