• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
jlo33692 said:
Proof of Flintoff being better than Kallis with figures to back it up, Like i can say Stuart McGill is a better allrounder than Freddie but even though that is a stupid statement i would have to back up my point with some facts, I am trying to find the stats on these 2 over the last 2 years but aint got em yet hahaha
Last 2 years to the date of Kallis' last Test:

25 Matches (vs teams other than Ban and Zim)
2739 runs @ 72.07
35 Wickets
Average 50.23

24 Matches (vs teams other than Ban)
1575 runs @ 41.44
91 Wickets
Average 25.65

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
jlo33692 said:
Proof of Flintoff being better than Kallis with figures to back it up, Like i can say Stuart McGill is a better allrounder than Freddie but even though that is a stupid statement i would have to back up my point with some facts, I am trying to find the stats on these 2 over the last 2 years but aint got em yet hahaha
Can't be looking very hard then can you?

Slow Love™

International Captain
marc71178 said:
He's not a standin
He probably means in the sense that he's not a current sitting international captain, as well as the fact that Dravid would have been a more likely candidate, had he not been added to the squad late. (And in a choice between two not-so-great captains like Pollock and Lara, it might have been a good idea to go for Lara given that a South African already had the test captaincy.)

Should Inzy play, he'd have something of a claim over Graeme Smith in captaining the test team, too. Maybe they should have named these captains when the squads were a little more final.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Chappell's views on Smith as World XI captain

``Ian Chappell, the former Australian captain, has questioned the choice of Graeme Smith as captain of the World XI for the one-off Test against Australia at Sydney. Smith has been named captain for the six-day Test, which starts on October 14, but Chappell wasn't convinced about his leadership skills, especially his ability to get the best out of the spinners.

"To beat Australia the opposing captain has to be prepared to attack and use his initiative, as Michael Vaughan so expertly displayed in the recent Ashes series, and on what I have seen so far, this is beyond Smith," Chappell wrote in a column which appeared in Sunday Mid Day, a Mumbai-based tabloid. "What makes Smith a terrific opening batsman is also what holds his captaincy back. He has tunnel vision when he bats and is able to concentrate purely on what he does well. However, he employs this same narrow vision to his captaincy and appears to lack imagination.

"Traditionally South African captains lack understanding when it comes to the value of spin bowlers. They tend to rely heavily on fast and seam bowlers especially when the match is tight. At the SCG spin bowling could play a big part in deciding the Super Series Test and the World XI have a destructive pair in Muttiah Muralitharan and Vettori. However, both need to be employed as attacking weapons against Australia, not just as run-stoppers."

Chappell confessed that he was particularly impressed by the manner in which Stephen Fleming had used Vettori, especially against Australia. "There are currently few leaders who understand the value of attacking with spinners against a strong batting line-up, and New Zealand's Fleming is one such skipper. Under Fleming, Vettori has had great success against a dominant Australian batting line-up. Fleming is even better qualified in this aspect of captaincy than England's successful skipper, as Vaughan's only experience so far revolves around using Ashley Giles in a mainly defensive role."

Chappell scoffed at the suggestion that neither Vaughan nor Fleming merited a place in the XI, arguing that a strong captain will add far more value to a team already brimming with talent. "Picking a team is about selecting the right combination, not just gathering the best players. Without the right captain the World XI is vulnerable against an Australian side that will be hell-bent on revenge after losing the Ashes.

"A bunch of talented individuals not representing their country are going to be hard pushed to beat a skilful team playing under their own nation's colours. Unless the conglomerate has a strong leader who instills a sense of unity and a desperation to win, the team representing their country is always favoured.

Chappell even suggested that it was far more vital to get the right leader than to ensure that the two best openers went out to face the new ball against Glenn McGrath and Brett Lee. "The World XI would have been a stronger side with Vaughan or Fleming opening in place of Smith. There is little difference in actual batting skill, especially when you consider Vaughan's highly successful last tour of Australia as an opener. I'll bet the Australians, smarting after their defeat in England, are quietly relieved they won't have to face a talented bowling line-up under the wily direction of either Fleming or Vaughan."

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jono said:
Oh today was so much fun! It was a great effort from Victoria, and the atmosphere was fantastic. Just seeing all those stars so close (its one thing seeing them all at the MCG, SCG, Telstra Dome etc.) but at the Junction Oval was simply amazing. I got so many autographs, including Lara, Murali and Dravid :cool:

Sangakkara and Sehwag both looked dangerous before going out, and after that collapse with Kallis, Pietersen and Lara going for single digits (:() Gayle and Dravid recovered beautifully with Pollock smashing out at the end. For Victoria, Hodge was superb as was Klinger. Harwood was very good with the ball 2, probably the best spell of his career considering who he dismissed lol.

I have a match report brewing boys, but what needs to be said is that Ntini is the greatest bloke ever. He was absolutely hilarious, and is so much fun. He was signing autographs all day and even when he was being heckled by some drunk idiot in the crowd he was hilarious with his replies to him. Compared to Pietersen, who when abused by another idiot after the game stared him down like he was going to kill him and was quite clearly really ****ed off. Don't blame him though.

MAKHAYA YOU LEGEND :D
You can afford to be carefree in life when you escape a long term jail sentence.

howardj

International Coach
Wednesday's Team (Probable)

Sangakarra
Sehwag
Dravid
Lara
Kallis
Pietersen
Flintoff
Pollock
Vettori
Akhtar
Murali

SuperSub: Afridi

Missing out are Ntini and Gayle

howardj

International Coach
Test Team (Probable)

Smith
Sehwag
Dravid
Lara
Kallis
Flintoff
Boucher
Pollock
Vettori
Akhtar
Murali

Missing out are Inzy (I wouldnt be volunteering to tell him) and Harmison.

Emcee

Cricket Spectator
Breaking news, Hogg out of super series with knee injury, Victorian Captain Cameron White called up. This news so fresh White dosn't even know he has been called up.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Slow Love™ said:
He probably means in the sense that he's not a current sitting international captain, as well as the fact that Dravid would have been a more likely candidate, had he not been added to the squad late. (And in a choice between two not-so-great captains like Pollock and Lara, it might have been a good idea to go for Lara given that a South African already had the test captaincy.)

Should Inzy play, he'd have something of a claim over Graeme Smith in captaining the test team, too. Maybe they should have named these captains when the squads were a little more final.
that is what i was refering to Marc, I thought you could have worked that out surley.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
jlo33692 said:
that is what i was refering to Marc, I thought you could have worked that out surley.
Its more convenient from the guy's angle to ignore what he would like to ignore. Not a surprise.

Blaze

Banned
Emcee said:
Breaking news, Hogg out of super series with knee injury, Victorian Captain Cameron White called up. This news so fresh White dosn't even know he has been called up.

How do you know before he does?

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Last 2 years to the date of Kallis' last Test:

25 Matches (vs teams other than Ban and Zim)
2739 runs @ 72.07
35 Wickets
Average 50.23

24 Matches (vs teams other than Ban)
1575 runs @ 41.44
91 Wickets
Average 25.65
Well in test matches ,it now depends on what you need from your allrounder,if your a batting allrounder then Kallis has it over Freddie,if bowling allrounder then You would have to take Fredrick Von Flintoff,
Aussie ,i wasnt comparing McGill to freddie as an all rounder M8 it was just trying to make a point,(which i think ive lost) but anyways i dont know why i bothered going into it as i think Freddie is a better allrounder than Kallis, One word of caution with the freddie mania going on,let the man earn his reputation over a few more years and lets see where he ends up in time,thats not a put down of the guy as he is potentially a great of the game,but cricket is littered with 1 and 2 year wonders that get found out when teams start to work on the strewngth and weeknesses of players,Lets see how he goes in sub continant,Australia,Sth Afr,NZ,etc over a period of time,i ,along with you think he will do it as his potentiall is untapped and has not peaked,but soemppl claiming him to be the best in last 20 years and things like that would even embarress him,IMHO,
Thanks for providing the stats guys for Kallis/Flintoff.
Does anyone ever go to the site,stump the bearded wonder? if you love your cricket and love trivia this is the site for all questions,,,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/sports_talk/stump_bearders/4166574.stm :cool:

Last edited:

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Blaze said:
How do you know before he does?
Good question Blaze,,

Blaze m8 just on another sport for a second,did you see that rain in the soccer in NZ yestetrday?
It was unbelievable and made the game so interesting for the observers who never watch normally on the TV,it was rivating stuff,does it always rain that hard there m8?

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Pratyush ,you will prob know this one,,Is Sachin playing in this series against Oz?
It seems he is in one day then out the next,I am hoping like hell he will play as in Aussie he is widely regarded as having no peer in cricket apart from the Don,i believe he is also treated as a god in india?
Be a shame to not have the worlds best batsman not playing in the super series..

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
To Aussie,

Ian Chappell has just released a book and he spares NOBODY and i mean NOBODY,he has a dig at a lot of well known current and ex players,a big go at Botham,if you want to read a warts and all book with no punches held back then get a copy of this ,i promise you will never read a book that is so controversial and speaks openly without any fear of offending someone,if you get a chance to read it ,do yourself a favour, Magic stuff.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Emcee said:
oh **** its true not the news i wanted to hear at 4 in the morning :-O , Hogg leg-spinners will be missed but White's batting could be an advantage. OK here's my reshuffled aussie side:

Gilchrist
Clarke
Ponting
Martyn
Symonds
Hussey
Watson
White
Hopes
Lee
McGrath

Supersub: Tait

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Wednesday's Team (Probable)

Sangakarra
Sehwag
Dravid
Lara
Kallis
Pietersen
Flintoff
Pollock
Vettori
Akhtar
Murali

SuperSub: Afridi

Missing out are Ntini and Gayle
i would think Ntini will play in front of Vettori...