• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WTF are you talking about mate

those where both missing my a mile..

how you can say that after replays showed how far they where missing by i don't know
The LBW after Clark'e dismissal was definitely NOT missing by a mile. Should have been given out, I reckon.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussies who have seen an awful lot of Giclhrist, how many times now has he played that slog over mid-wicket off Vettori dalm...

Eclipse

International Debutant
aussie said:
aussies who have seen an awful lot of Giclhrist, how many times now has he played that slog over mid-wicket off Vettori dalm...
yeah he would have hit around 15 or so sixes off him in his carear with that shot..

must really **** Vettori off :lol:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Watson really does have a superb technique. Every time I see him bat, I feel better about him. Haven't really seen him play swing and seam much yet, but he looks the part with the bat in every way.

Will be interesting to see how he bowls tomorrow if the pitch still has a bit of life in it. I get the feeling that McGrath in particular would have had a field day on this pitch on day 1. Signs of big, big turn once the grass is all gone as well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Barney Rubble said:
Ponting wins the toss and bats (surprisingly, after events this summer! :D ), and Pollock misses out for the World XI, meaning Harmison and Flintoff will be taking the new ball for them - not quite deja vu, but near enough.
Crazy selection IMO.

Load the batting, and leave the bowling a bit thin to say the least.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Top_Cat said:
And I think I'll not be the first to nominate Harmi's third ball as the ball of the summer. Very tough one to cope with early on and it was just great stuff.
I just hope that isn't his good ball for the winter quota all used up.

greg

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Crazy selection IMO.

Load the batting, and leave the bowling a bit thin to say the least.
Agreed - huge batting resources and only pick 4 bowlers? (fair to say it wouldn't have happened had they picked Sangakarra) Including Vettori? (Pollock should've played). Flintoff opening the bowling when he never does it normally?

(btw - 4 bowlers, Kallis clearly doesn't count)

I thought they said they were learning from England? The key to the summer was the relentless attack never giving the Australian middle order the chance to get away against tired and/or fillin bowlers. Anyone who watched the Oval match should have seen the difference. So World XI go in with this attack. Crazy.

And I'm not at all happy about the implied workload on Harmison and Flintoff.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Pollock should have been in the team, especially given the pitch had a significant amount of live grass on it. Flintoff has struggled all series, Harmison didn't have a great ashes, and with swing and seam movement in the morning Pollock would have been perfect. Plus, "five bowlers" doesn't really weaken the batting when you consider that one of them is a test number six and the other two are the best number 8s in world cricket and pretty much genuine all-rounders themselves.

The only reason to leave Pollock out is that there was a political need to have Inzamam in the team. Pollock also had a poor ODI Super Series, which may have counted against him.

Eclipse

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Watson looks great, but he can't pick Murali for the life of him. He'll be praying Smith takes the new ball soon.
yeah but he's doing pretty well seeing it's the first time he's faced him in a test..

greg

International Debutant
The game isn't being played properly. Regardless of that wicket, it seems pretty clear that Smith was told not to take the new ball to guarantee a full days play.

greg

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah, Pollock should have been in the team, especially given the pitch had a significant amount of live grass on it. Flintoff has struggled all series, Harmison didn't have a great ashes, and with swing and seam movement in the morning Pollock would have been perfect. Plus, "five bowlers" doesn't really weaken the batting when you consider that one of them is a test number six and the other two are the best number 8s in world cricket and pretty much genuine all-rounders themselves.

The only reason to leave Pollock out is that there was a political need to have Inzamam in the team. Pollock also had a poor ODI Super Series, which may have counted against him.
He should have still played ahead of Vettori.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well it was inevitable Watson had problems picking Murali but other than that he was very organised out their.

Knopfler

School Boy/Girl Captain
Eclipse said:
Running has been a bit iffy Watson has had to make a few dives

Yes but he has to be one of the best divers in world cricket. His dive against the Flintoff throw in particular had to be the best dive I have ever seen :p Lots of slide.

He is out now. LBW to Murali. Good decision as well.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
He should have still played ahead of Vettori.
Vettori's a good pick. This pitch will turn and turn a lot in a day or two, and Vettori's a proven performer against Australia (excluding Gilchrist, who consistently dominates him), and he can bat too. Pollock should be in the team ahead of Inzy for mine.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
4 men on the leg-side for Gilchrist, i remember Fleming having that feel in NZ earlier this year but Gilly still cleared them :p