• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

Blaze

Banned
Hayden was out LBW twice in that session IMO, top edged a couple of sweep shots and got dropped. I wouldn't say he is back in form.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Clarke for me wasn't out. Snicko said there was a noise, but I thought from the first replay that Clarke hit his own pad with the bat (hence his bat turned), and missed the ball which then hit his pad and his arm. Snicko is unreliable at best, and completely useless at worst, and I don't think on the evidence available that there is any way Clarke could have been given out.

The Katich/Murali one was interesting as well. Katich was definately out, but Katich moved to get around the bowler in the last few strides of his run, and Murali actually took two paces back to get back into Katich's path. I don't think it was intentional, but the bowler (I believe) is allowed under the rules to stand his ground but not to move to obstruct the batsman. This situation was certainly obstruction, and it involved moving into the path of the batsmen, but it wasn't intentional. Tricky decision.

Anyway, nice stuff from Hayden today. Survived some very difficult conditions early on a grassy pitch with a bit of swing around, and has played the spin well. Smith's captaincy has been rubbish, from choosing Kallis as first slip to Murali instead of Dravid, to using Inzy as his leg-side sweeper, to overusing his spinners to new batsmen on a pitch that is obviously not going to turn given the amount of live grass on it. Even Murali is barely turning it, and Vettori isn't doing a thing, while there's some opportunity for seam movement for Harmison and Flintoff. Would have made sense to use them more through the middle of the afternoon session. Ponting and Clarke were superb, aside from one poor shot for Ponting and one bad decision for Clarke. Interestingly, since the start of the Ashes, Clarke has passed 25 eight times in ten innings, but made just two half-centuries. Shows that he's got no problem getting starts, and indeed that his problems are mostly related to temprament.

Hopefully Hayden can get another century here.

Blaze

Banned
Clarke was out. It was pretty obvious from snicko and all the players were very excited which indicates there was a woody sound. Koetzon obviously heard the nick as well.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For mine, Clarke was definitely gone. The twist of the bat was, from what I saw, caused by ball on the shoulder of his bat. Yes there was pad in the way but it's rarely a coincidence that at the exact moment the ball enters that area, the bat moves in that way, particularly since there was enough daylight between the top of the pad and the shoulder of the bat to indicate that the bat didn't get caught on it. That in combination with the Snicko was enough for me. Certainly it appeared Rudi would have given it out if there was no 3rd umpire but decided to check it anyway.

Kat was very unlucky to be run-out. Bad luck with Murali getting in the way but it was a very risky single and in that situation, to make it, you can't have the slightest thing slow you down. Just bad luck, really. Murali certainly can't be blamed for it.

And I think I'll not be the first to nominate Harmi's third ball as the ball of the summer. Very tough one to cope with early on and it was just great stuff.

Slow Love™

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Clarke for me wasn't out. Snicko said there was a noise, but I thought from the first replay that Clarke hit his own pad with the bat (hence his bat turned), and missed the ball which then hit his pad and his arm. Snicko is unreliable at best, and completely useless at worst, and I don't think on the evidence available that there is any way Clarke could have been given out.
LOL

The Katich/Murali one was interesting as well. Katich was definately out, but Katich moved to get around the bowler in the last few strides of his run, and Murali actually took two paces back to get back into Katich's path. I don't think it was intentional, but the bowler (I believe) is allowed under the rules to stand his ground but not to move to obstruct the batsman. This situation was certainly obstruction, and it involved moving into the path of the batsmen, but it wasn't intentional. Tricky decision.
Yeah, I wasn't sure about this one either, but according to Tony Greig, the rule is that the obstruction has to be shown to be wilful.

Slow Love™

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Ponting and Clarke were superb, aside from one poor shot for Ponting and one bad decision for Clarke. Interestingly, since the start of the Ashes, Clarke has passed 25 eight times in ten innings, but made just two half-centuries. Shows that he's got no problem getting starts, and indeed that his problems are mostly related to temprament.
Technology arguments aside, I had some CW dollars on Clarke to be top-scorer in Australia's first innings, and he was looking utterly fantastic. It was very frustrating to see him go in such a manner, knowing that it'll lead to more claims from some quarters that he's not good enough to be in the side.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
Hayden was out LBW twice in that session IMO, top edged a couple of sweep shots and got dropped. I wouldn't say he is back in form.
well i dont think he was out LBW twice, but regardless of being dropped he has been very impressive that cannot be denied...

Knopfler

School Boy/Girl Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Smith's captaincy has been rubbish, from choosing Kallis as first slip to Murali instead of Dravid, to using Inzy as his leg-side sweeper, to overusing his spinners to new batsmen on a pitch that is obviously not going to turn given the amount of live grass on it.

I haven't been able to see much play today, but Inzy as a leg side sweeper? That does sound silly. Maybe Smith did it for a bit of comic relief.

Deja moo

International Captain
Jono said:
Best 4 spin bowlers in the world in this match Richie? Are you sure about that :huh:
I dont care if the majority of CW members worship at Benauds feet, he can talk real rubbish at times. And how do they keep listening to him? Hes commentary's equivalent of McGraths metronome methods. Atleast McGrath gets wickets. Benaud just gets boring after a while.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Actually not a bad ton from Hayden - just equalled Langer on the Aussie century count, too.

Gilly's looking fairly good, as well. It's a pity that Flintoff has looked a shadow of his Ashes self so far.

Blaze

Banned
aussie said:
well i dont think he was out LBW twice, but regardless of being dropped he has been very impressive that cannot be denied...

He was dead and buried at least twice and I haven't seen the one where he didn't offer a shot against Harmison

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
He was dead and buried at least twice and I haven't seen the one where he didn't offer a shot against Harmison
dead n buried twice?, u talking about those 2 times he was hit by Freddie from around the wicket which were definately missing leg-stump?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
t's a pity that Flintoff has looked a shadow of his Ashes self so far.
for me thats due to 3 reasons:

- he may be a bit tired
- he is bowling in an alien role. i.e opening the bowling & being used has a stock bowler and not a strike bowler like he was in the ashes.

- lack of reverse swing

chalky

International Debutant
Anyone else not really excited by this?

Usually I can watch a test match between any two sides in the world (except Zim & Bang). But I am really struggling to get in to this series, just seems to be missing something.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Knopfler said:
I haven't been able to see much play today, but Inzy as a leg side sweeper? That does sound silly. Maybe Smith did it for a bit of comic relief.
Well the crowd certainly cheered a lot every time he chased down a ball. :D

I think fielding is a problem for Smith though, in fairness. Smith himself as captain wanted to be in the slips... Dravid is one of the best slippers in the world, Flintoff is an excellent slip fielder, and Kallis, Sehwag and Inzy are decent in close catching positions and quite poor and slow everywhere else. You can't have six people in the slip cordon all the time, and guys like Murali and Harmison aren't exactly gun fielders either, and Lara isn't as quick as he used to be. That leaves him with... Vettori.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Blaze said:

WTF are you talking about mate :-O

those where both missing my a mile..

how you can say that after replays showed how far they where missing by i don't know :blink: