• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official ** Sri Lanka in New Zealand tour

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The other player I would consider is Shanan Stewart...he hasn't been opening as of late for Canterbury, but I think he might be worth looking at in that position.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd be interested to know where Styris and Butler are currently at fitness-wise.

The last I heard was that Styris was hopeful of playing for ND about a fortnight ago but then pulled out, and that Butler was back bowling in the nets several weeks ago.

Also interested to see if Bond makes himself available for this Major Associations XI. There was some suggestion that he's only played three SC games in a row because his workload in New Plymouth was reduced by rain, but from all reports he's now really working into a groove and bowling the best he has since surgery.

A bit of a dilemma for him if he plays, I would've thought. No doubt plenty of talkback callers will be demanding that his test comeback is fast-tracked if he takes a few Lankan scalps.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
With this major associations team, I think that Greg Todd and Aaron Redmond deserve a go. They have both been very consistent this season.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If Bond is selected in this team, then that might go some way to suggesting that selectors are seriously considering him for the Sri Lankan Series.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Have to feel sorry for Tuffey ! Do you think he will be forgiven and recalled for SL tests , since he has served his punishment now ?

anzac

International Debutant
Kippax said:
Here would be my Major Associations XII -
How
Gaffaney
Fulton (c)
Sinclair
J Marshall (Styris if available)
Taylor
Hopkins †
Yovich (never really rated his bowling, but his all-round stats deserve a place I suppose)
Bond
B Martin
Tuffey
12th Aldridge or Taylor
looks good but obviously J Marshall won't be there now.............I'd replace him with Stewart.................

Tuffey would be a doubtful starter for mind unless he has his release sorted out - nothing to do with the so called breach of conduct charge - what a farce!!!!!

I'd also be keen to have another look at the likes of Hamilton to see if he could bounce back from his mauling at the hands of the AUS batsmen.............

an alternative for Yovich could be Ryder - he's put together a nice little run with both bat & ball recently........but seeing as how Wellington are a good chance to defend their title I guess that won't be happening..............

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Shannon Stewart is not that good.

Certainly not as good as some of the other batsmen that you guys have failed to suggest.

Two that didn't get a mention in that posters team were Greg Todd and Aaron Redmond, both of which have made this team.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
The team is.

NZC's announced the squad - Mathew Sinclair, Craig McMillan (capt), Graeme Aldridge, Peter Fulton, Gareth Hopkins, Jamie How, Warren McSkimming, Bruce Martin, Aaron Redmond, Ross Taylor, Greg Todd, Daryl Tuffey, Joseph Yovich.

shaka

International Regular
Bond ruled himself out of Sri Lanka series, making a comeback against Zimbabwe in September.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
southern man said:
The team is.

NZC's announced the squad - Mathew Sinclair, Craig McMillan (capt), Graeme Aldridge, Peter Fulton, Gareth Hopkins, Jamie How, Warren McSkimming, Bruce Martin, Aaron Redmond, Ross Taylor, Greg Todd, Daryl Tuffey, Joseph Yovich.
Interesting to see both McMillan and Tuffey have been included in the side, fairly sensible move from NZC to select both to have another look at the two against a quality opposition. Also good to see Aldridge and Taylor there, both potential future Black Caps.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
shaka said:
Bond ruled himself out of Sri Lanka series, making a comeback against Zimbabwe in September.
To me it seems Bond will go down in the history of Test Cricket as the player who stayed on contract longest despite not playing Test cricket and costing a cricket board a fortune (while still contracted) for the period of time he never played Test cricket !!

Blaze

Banned
JASON said:
To me it seems Bond will go down in the history of Test Cricket as the player who stayed on contract longest despite not playing Test cricket and costing a cricket board a fortune (while still contracted) for the period of time he never played Test cricket !!

Kool

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Will Redmond open? It seems to me that he's now playing as an aggresive top order batsman these days for Otago.

Ming

State 12th Man
Stewart is a talented batsman, and looks to have the full range of shots. He's been tried all over the place as a stop gap measure, much like Englefield when he was down in Canterbury. Hopefully he can cement a 4 or 5 spot next year, with the likes of Stead moving on.

Where will Tim McIntosh go for next season? His excuse for moving from Auckland last season, was because there were better wickets down in Canterbury, however, his game has just worsened this season, after being labelled a potential candidate for the opening spot in the Tests last year.

To be honest, I haven't seen Todd bat, but I shall follow his future with interest. And Tim, you said Redmond was being used as an attacking opening batsman for Otago? I agree on that totally. This lad is a very inventive cricketer, and some of those shots he played in that SOO match last year (where he scored 50*) were quite outstanding.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Redders is good, but he has no concentration what so ever. He cannot bat for long periods of time. Sure he has got the talent but until he can develop the ability to bat time he should not be considered for higher honours. Good 4-day player but lacks application, but a very average one day player.

Toddy, is a bloody ugly batsman, but is very effective and you will never get an easy wicket where bowling to Toddy. He is a bloody big bloke and when he decides to hit the ball, it stays hit. Toddy is the sort of gritty batsman that could become a very good test batsman. I have alot of faith in him, I think he can go a long way.

anzac

International Debutant
southern man said:
Shannon Stewart is not that good.

Certainly not as good as some of the other batsmen that you guys have failed to suggest.

Two that didn't get a mention in that posters team were Greg Todd and Aaron Redmond, both of which have made this team.
I didn't think that Redmond had been bowling all that well this season.............

anzac

International Debutant
Somerset said:
Interesting to see both McMillan and Tuffey have been included in the side, fairly sensible move from NZC to select both to have another look at the two against a quality opposition. Also good to see Aldridge and Taylor there, both potential future Black Caps.
not sure that I agree with their selections - Macca has not scored any runs with the bat, and his approach to his craft is questionable atm.........Tuffey is supposedly returning from injury prior to which his ball release at delivery was shot...............IMO they've been selected as much as senior members of the full squad (reputation) as opposed to current form...........even Sinclair was dropped in the middle of a poor ODI series and I'm not sure what he's done in the mean time..........

I do think it is significant that Papps is not in the squad - a strong indication that he may not be in the frame as such, but also another reason as to why I question the above selections..........