• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official ** Sri Lanka in New Zealand tour

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
dinu23 said:
Tuffy and Vettori are the only bowlers that can post a threat to the SL batsmen.
Tuffey is nothing currently, he certainly won't be selected for the two test matches. James Franklin, Chris Martin and Daniel Vettori will all test the Sri Lankan batsmen in the conditions, although if the likes of Fernando, Maharoof and Kulusekera can back up Vaas, it could be a very even series.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
dinu23 said:
so u think we have no chance of winning without murali, eh?
we'll see who laughs last!
Sure, the Sri Lankans performed reasonably well against the South Africans without Murali but playing in New Zealand without the star spinner is something completely different.

I guess it makes you wonder whether he really should've been involved in the charity matches with such a large injury cloud hanging over him.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Somerset said:
Sure, the Sri Lankans performed reasonably well against the South Africans without Murali but playing in New Zealand without the star spinner is something completely different.

I guess it makes you wonder whether he really should've been involved in the charity matches with such a large injury cloud hanging over him.
If Murali is out and it looks like Bond is out then the bowling attacks are pretty even, it will probably come down to batting. Allot will depend on who bats at 7 for Sri Lanka Prasanna or one of the batsmen, who ever it has to preform. Also the Kiwi have a problem at the top of the order, but that might be solved by the Australia Series, or made even bigger

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
Same could be said about the Kiwi bowlers apart from Vettori, but we do some good young quicks who will love bowling on Kiwi pitiches as well as Herath a very under rated bowler.
I think you'll find the NZ bowlers are somewhat better than the SL bowlers, especially in NZ conditions.

dinu23

International Debutant
Somerset said:

SL fast bowlers bowled well against SA in spin friendly conditions. so i think they would do better in NZ conditions.

yeah! Murali shouldn't have played in those charity matches. But hey! u know Murali!

bryce

International Regular
dinu23 said:
SL fast bowlers bowled well against SA in spin friendly conditions. so i think they would do better in NZ conditions.

yeah! Murali shouldn't have played in those charity matches. But hey! u know Murali!
i think you'll find the sri lankan bowlers will not be as effective as you seem to be hoping in the NZ conditions because they are typically along the wicket type of bowlers as opposed to into the wicket bowlers where they can extract more out of a pitch with a bit in it, but hey i have been wrong before(i think :happy: )

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
dinu23 said:
so u think we have no chance of winning without murali, eh?
we'll see who laughs last!
As a SriLankan , I hope your confidence is well placed !! And then we can both laugh last :D , or may be you first and me later !! :laugh: :laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
If Murali is out and it looks like Bond is out then the bowling attacks are pretty even, it will probably come down to batting. Allot will depend on who bats at 7 for Sri Lanka Prasanna or one of the batsmen, who ever it has to preform. Also the Kiwi have a problem at the top of the order, but that might be solved by the Australia Series, or made even bigger
While I agree Bond being out is a major blow for NZ, they haven't had him for a long time and their other quicks have learnt to get by without him, But Murali is SriLanka's no. 1 strike force and I am not sure our bowlers have got the ability or the mental strength to cope without their main strike weapon.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
dinu23 said:

NZ cricket organised that charity for Sri Lankan victims. Our country benefits from the goodwill of the Kiwis.

I think it is dreadful to say Murali shouldn't have played in a game that helped our country's poor people!!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
bryce said:
i think you'll find the sri lankan bowlers will not be as effective as you seem to be hoping in the NZ conditions because they are typically along the wicket type of bowlers as opposed to into the wicket bowlers where they can extract more out of a pitch with a bit in it, but hey i have been wrong before(i think :happy: )
Well the NZ conditions are going to be completely different to what they usually are in NZ, cus it will be pretty rugby season over their. Their will be allot more swing around then usually so if the Sri Lanka fast bowlers can make the most of the swing, which im pretty confident they will, then they will be as effective if not more effect then Kiwi bowlers. Most of our bowlers are mainly swing bowlers.

Also if the Kiwi bowlers get smacked around by the Aussies we could be facing a bunch of rookies.

dinu23

International Debutant
JASON said:
NZ cricket organised that charity for Sri Lankan victims. Our country benefits from the goodwill of the Kiwis.

I think it is dreadful to say Murali shouldn't have played in a game that helped our country's poor people!!
as u said, Murali is our no.1 bowler. and i'd hate to see him retire earlier than he would because of an injury. he had already said that too much bowling is a strain on him.

I thought he was 100% fit when going in to that game, but apparently he was not.
I guess even he didn't know that! otherwise I don't think he would have taken the risk.

anyway, it's in the past. We know he is doubtful for the NZ series. maybe if he had rested some more he would be on the plane to NZ.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Latest News on Murali suggests he is certain to miss the tour.

I think there must be serious doubt about whether this guy is ever going to return to Test cricket ? It may be that he is taking the "Shane Bond" Path of being eternally injured and eternally training to come back !!

There must also be concern as to whether all the mudslinging he has had, has finally taken over the guy's psyche and if he has become eternally phobic about touring the Southern Hemisphere (ie the pacific part of ) .

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
JASON said:
Latest News on Murali suggests he is certain to miss the tour.

I think there must be serious doubt about whether this guy is ever going to return to Test cricket ? It may be that he is taking the "Shane Bond" Path of being eternally injured and eternally training to come back !!

There must also be concern as to whether all the mudslinging he has had, has finally taken over the guy's psyche and if he has become eternally phobic about touring the Southern Hemisphere (ie the pacific part of ) .
I give Sri lanka no chance with out Murali in NZ conditions. Who's going to take the wickets?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
zinzan12 said:
I give Sri lanka no chance with out Murali in NZ conditions. Who's going to take the wickets?
SL does have Vaas, Fernando, Malinga (who is an express quickie at about 145k + from what I have heard) and spinners Herath, Chandana and Lokuaaratchi .

They are all capable of taking wickets !! But not as effective as Murali (I have to agree).
But without Murali, they tend to take their responsibility more seriously and as A Team can achieve more !!

When you say, Sri lanka has no chance with out Murali in NZ conditions, the same would've been said of NZ without Bond (and still being said off NZ :D ), so what would you say to that ?

Also , when you say Sri lanka has no chance with out Murali in NZ conditions, which conditions are you talking about ? :D

The conditions in Christchurch yesterday and today (and for rest of Australian tour -By this I mean Dead Flat tracks that have been prepared to nullify the Aussie Pace maestros )
or the Seamy pitches we are likely to return to when SL return in April !!
:laugh: :laugh:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
JASON said:
SL does have Vaas, Fernando, Malinga (who is an express quickie at about 145k + from what I have heard) and spinners Herath, Chandana and Lokuaaratchi .

They are all capable of taking wickets !! But not as effective as Murali (I have to agree).
But without Murali, they tend to take their responsibility more seriously and as A Team can achieve more !!

When you say, Sri lanka has no chance with out Murali in NZ conditions, the same would've been said of NZ without Bond (and still being said off NZ :D ), so what would you say to that ?

Also , when you say Sri lanka has no chance with out Murali in NZ conditions, which conditions are you talking about ? :D

The conditions in Christchurch yesterday and today (and for rest of Australian tour -By this I mean Dead Flat tracks that have been prepared to nullify the Aussie Pace maestros )
or the Seamy pitches we are likely to return to when SL return in April !!
:laugh: :laugh:
We will see.

Blaze

Banned
You Sri Lankans are so ignorant regarding NZ conditions and pitches. It makes me laugh a lot.

I am unaware of the whereabouts of the tests but i presume one of them will be at the basin which will be a good batting track.

Look at the scorecards from the test series in NZ against South Africa and Pakistan last year.

The talk about NZ having green seeming wickets is a myth.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Blaze said:
You Sri Lankans are so ignorant regarding NZ conditions and pitches. It makes me laugh a lot.
Just as you Kiwis are,Mate , when you comment on SriLankan pitches when you guys go on tour there !! :D :D

Blaze said:
The talk about NZ having green seeming wickets is a myth.
Indians who toured NZ not too long ago would argue otherwise. :laugh: :laugh:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Here's the itinerary for the tour, starting with a three-dayer next Monday -

March 28-30: SL v Major Associations XI, QEII Park, Christchurch
April 4-8: 1st Test, Napier
April 11-15: 2nd Test, Wellington

The Major Associations XI will be comprised of players not involved in the SC final (i.e. Auckland or Wellington), and that side will apparently be named when NZ's third test XI is named tomorrow morning.

Here would be my Major Associations XII -
How
Gaffaney
Fulton (c)
Sinclair
J Marshall (Styris if available)
Taylor
Hopkins †
Yovich (never really rated his bowling, but his all-round stats deserve a place I suppose)
Bond
B Martin
Tuffey
12th Aldridge or Taylor

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon it'll be Papps & How as the openers despite the fact that Papps has simply not been good enough this season.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Heard this afternoon that Papps has a finger injury (most injury-prone batsman ever?!), so whether that will rule him out or not I'm not sure.

I think CW already knows roughly where I stand on Papps, but you are probably right in that he'll be picked if fit.