• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official ** Sri Lanka in New Zealand tour

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Same way it used to be with whether to use the floodlights at all, I suppose.
That became standard-fare before all that long, and I reckon it's probably not long until this does the same - it makes sense, seeing a red-ball against a darkening sky isn't easy.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Can anyone explain to me why NZ cricket has chosen to play both the Tests against Sri Lanka in April (5th to 8th and 11th to 15th) from Monday to Friday, thus avoiding weekends (when most fans would expect to attend the Test Matches or watch it on TV ) ?

Strange decision IMO. :-O :blink: :huh:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
Can anyone explain to me why NZ cricket has chosen to play both the Tests against Sri Lanka in April (5th to 8th and 11th to 15th) from Monday to Friday, thus avoiding weekends (when most fans would expect to attend the Test Matches or watch it on TV ) ?

Hmmm...I've just checked and you're correct...very strange decision from NZ Cricket which I and probably the majority of New Zealanders was unaware of.

Blaze

Banned
JASON said:

Because the rugby season is in full flow by then and so NZ cricket cooperated with sky t.v and put the games on weekdays to avoid clashes with rugby.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Blaze said:
Because the rugby season is in full flow by then and so NZ cricket cooperated with sky t.v and put the games on weekdays to avoid clashes with rugby.
That makes a little more sense, I can understand why from Sky's perspective now. Why not start the tests on a Sunday though, and at least give people a chance to get to the game or watch it on TV when most people are available.

anzac

International Debutant
I'd have thought that NZCC wouldn't want to clash with the RFU re crowd gates regardless of SKY...............

but I think they messed up not starting on Sunday...............

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
The NRL is one of Sky's more popular products, which may be a factor in that.

The Warriors often kick off anywhere between 2-4pm NZT on Sundays when they're at home, then the Channel 9 'match of the round' kicks off at 5pm. There are also other Fox Sports games which Sky often takes either live or delayed.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Murali very doubtful for NZ tour !!
That should put paid to any chance SL had of winning !!
NZ on the rebound from an Aussie thrashing , will be waiting eagerly to do the same to SL and the absence of Murali should mean they can do just that, and get over their frustrations of an Aussie walloping !! :D :D

Here's the Cricinfo news item.

Zoysa ruled out ... Murali doubtful for NZ tour

Sri Lanka struggle with spate of injuries

Charlie Austin

March 7, 2005

Nuwan Zoysa will miss Sri Lanka's postponed tour of New Zealand because of a lingering knee injury that now requires surgery, and Muttiah Muralitharan is also virtually certain to miss the entire tour, which starts on March 26 and includes two Tests at Napier and Wellington.

Zoysa broke down with the knee problem about three weeks ago, during the early stages of the provincial tournament. Sri Lanka Cricket's physiotherapy department tried to avoid surgery, but the knee failed to respond to treatment and now he will be sent to Australia to see Dr David Young, Sri Lanka's Melbourne-based surgeon.

"It is very likely that Zoysa has a tear of the medial meniscus inside his knee," CJ Clarke, the national team's physiotherapist, told reporters. "An MRI scan and a bone scan have been inconclusive, and we've therefore decided to send him for diagnostic arthroscopy and a general clean-up in Australia.

"The general recovery time for this is four to six weeks, but there is no need to rush him back into action too early," Clarke added. "We can build up his workload gradually and give him some A-team cricket before the next national tour against the West Indies in July."

Murali has not officially been ruled out of the New Zealand series yet, but he's still complaining of stiffness and some pain. He is due to start the second stage of rehabilitation on March 17 and resume bowling again, but Clarke believes that "New Zealand now looks unrealistic".

There may also be a few concerns in Lancashire, where Muralitharan is contracted to play during the first half of the summer. Murali, increasingly frustrated after the longest injury layoff of his career, is confident of being ready by the end of April - but Clarke appears more wary, saying: "His suitability for England depends on the rehabilitation period."

Murali was first sidelined in August, when he pulled out of a home series against South Africa and travelled to Australia to have an internal cyst drained in his bowling shoulder. After rehabilitation he returned on schedule to play in three tsunami fundraisers in Australia and New Zealand before further pain prompted more surgery.

Zoysa and Murali are not the only injury concerns, either. After an especially demanding provincial-tournament schedule during February, several other fast bowlers are struggling with injuries, including Farveez Maharoof (knee), Lasith Malinga (back), Dilhara Fernando (knee) and Ruchira Perera (side).

"Farveez, Lasith and Ruchira are all now responding well to treatment and we expect them to be fine for New Zealand," revealed Clarke. "Dilhara, though, is a minor concern as his knee is making slow progress. We may have to give him clean-up surgery in the break."

Clarke believes that too much cricket is the simple cause for the mini injury crisis: "The guys have had a very heavy workload in the last month, some of them playing 12 days out of a 16-day period. With travelling as well that will always be difficult."

The spate of injuries leaves the selectors, who are scheduled to pick their final tour squad on Monday, with a headache. Chaminda Vaas and Nuwan Kulasekera are the only injury-free fast bowlers among the original tour party, and a couple of new faces could be on the cards.

The one good news story is that Prabath Nissanka, the almost-forgotten pace bowler who was sidelined in mid-2003, has battled his way back from chronic tendonitis of the knees and a series of hamstring tears to return to practice with the national side.

"Prabath has been bowling in the nets and will also take part in the Mercantile Tournament," said Clarke. "Obviously, after two years out of the game, he is short of match fitness but he's back bowling and that's excellent news. The knee will still have to be managed carefully though as the tendonitis is a long-term problem."

© Cricinfo

anzac

International Debutant
I see that Bond has been ruled out of the series after his comeback match.................

any news on how he was actually bowling??????

anzac

International Debutant
yep & good to see a bowler / player with some common sence & to do it early enough to scotch any false hopes etc..................

a bit disappointing that he went for a few but I'd put that down to being rusty & nerves..............

I'd be interested to see what his last spells were like regarding pace & control..............and how he pulled up afterwards...........

dinu23

International Debutant
JASON said:
Murali very doubtful for NZ tour !!
That should put paid to any chance SL had of winning !!
NZ on the rebound from an Aussie thrashing , will be waiting eagerly to do the same to SL and the absence of Murali should mean they can do just that, and get over their frustrations of an Aussie walloping !! :D :D
so u think we have no chance of winning without murali, eh?
we'll see who laughs last!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
cric_manic said:
Apart from Vass the Srilankan bowlers wont really test the NZ batsman
Same could be said about the Kiwi bowlers apart from Vettori, but we do some good young quicks who will love bowling on Kiwi pitiches as well as Herath a very under rated bowler.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
dinu23 said:
Tuffy and Vettori are the only bowlers that can post a threat to the SL batsmen.
But how good is Tuffey form ATM, he bowling as well as Thursha for the A Team. Not a very big threat on current form. Martin more of a threat, if they really had another threat outside Vettori.