• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official ** Sri Lanka in New Zealand tour

psxpro

Banned
But Australia will always find it harder to win in srilanka than in nz, no matter what the team is like.
I know our test record over the last year is very poor but ive seen signs from this series that we are getting things right with a lot of stuff. Australia didnt get scores of 600 plus or anything, I also think Franklin is improving and will do well vs sa.
I really hope oram is fit, he could be crucial.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
psxpro said:
But Australia will always find it harder to win in srilanka than in nz, no matter what the team is like.
I know our test record over the last year is very poor but ive seen signs from this series that we are getting things right with a lot of stuff. Australia didnt get scores of 600 plus or anything, I also think Franklin is improving and will do well vs sa.
I really hope oram is fit, he could be crucial.
Yeah but what about over performances in Australia verus Kiwis performance in Australia. Sri Lanka were slightly better then Kiwis in Australia IMO. Franklin got talent their no doubt about that but he isn't that much better then our young quicks, if better at all. Also where is the support going to come from outside Franklin and Vettori. Martin, O'Brien and Tuffey aren't bowling very well, Wiseman looks ok, but the Kiwis don't play two spinners too often.

psxpro

Banned
lord_of_darkness said:
whats the schedule for the series?

Just 2 tests, starts on april 14th I think.
I'm quite excited about it if it doesn't rain we will finally see 2 pretty even teams.
At first I was excited about the aussie challenge but got sick of them dominating too much.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
At first I was excited about the aussie challenge but got sick of them dominating too much.
uhh i know.. lets just hope the weather keeps away.. because its startin to turn real shizz off late.. glad the australian tour finished in time.. i can see some big thunder and rain creeping up one of these days.

neither of the 2 tests in auckland tho yeh?

psxpro

Banned
chaminda_00 said:
Yeah but what about over performances in Australia verus Kiwis performance in Australia. Sri Lanka were slightly better then Kiwis in Australia IMO. Franklin got talent their no doubt about that but he isn't that much better then our young quicks, if better at all. Also where is the support going to come from outside Franklin and Vettori. Martin, O'Brien and Tuffey aren't bowling very well, Wiseman looks ok, but the Kiwis don't play two spinners too often.

Yes you were better in Australia than us, but I just put that down to horrible nz form. Also Aus had it all over Fleming, he is likely to score a lot more vs Srilanka. Hamish Marshall has had a good start and cumming will feel a bit more safe with the srilankan opening bowlers.
I think oram is a key , he can score lots of runs plus in NZ consitions i think he is a very useful bowler. Which will mean we will have Franklin, Oram and vettori. The fourth bowling option is a concern for me, Who should open with franklin? Martin is struggling.
Maybe a bolter? Maybe O''brein gets another go? Or Tuffey?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
psxpro said:
Yes you were better in Australia than us, but I just put that down to horrible nz form. Also Aus had it all over Fleming, he is likely to score a lot more vs Srilanka. Hamish Marshall has had a good start and cumming will feel a bit more safe with the srilankan opening bowlers.
I think oram is a key , he can score lots of runs plus in NZ consitions i think he is a very useful bowler. Which will mean we will have Franklin, Oram and vettori. The fourth bowling option is a concern for me, Who should open with franklin? Martin is struggling.
Maybe a bolter? Maybe O''brein gets another go? Or Tuffey?
I love the way people underestimate our bowlers, Cumming will be test by Vaas, if he is good enough to pass then test then good for him. How is Oram and Stryris fitness coming along. Also what about the Major Ass. XI, do any of u guys rate them.

Blaze

Banned
psxpro said:
it sux theres no game in auckland, we hardly get rain outs here. even if it rains atleast it stops quickly.

I can't stand the games in Auckland. Short boundaries and an empty concrete stadium .

psxpro

Banned
chaminda_00 said:
I love the way people underestimate our bowlers, Cumming will be test by Vaas, if he is good enough to pass then test then good for him. How is Oram and Stryris fitness coming along. Also what about the Major Ass. XI, do any of u guys rate them.
I'm not underestimating You bowlers, but there is alawys a big difference after you face aus, then another team. Other bowling attacks never apply the same pressure.
I rate Vaas as a very good bowler, and Cummming may struggle vs him but it will be easier than mgrath and gillespie first up. I'm not convinced that cumming should be our long term Opener yet but he should play vs srilanka, he needs to be given a few matches to prove himself.

About the assn XI, the match isnt televised so i'm not sure. Not even sure what the full team is, but Mcmillan got a hundred. From there theres a good batsman called Peter Fulton who has a higher first class average than any other nz batsman ever but he hasnt been picked yet (played an odi in bangladesh) for the nz test team.
At the moment I wouldn't make many changes except for Styris and oram back in. I like the way Vincent is playing, he looked agressive and looks a good middle order batsman.

I really like Ross Taylor (20 year old) playing for Assn XI, hes a very aggressive player who has a good future ahead of him. I'd pick him for our next odi series.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
psxpro said:
I'm not underestimating You bowlers, but there is alawys a big difference after you face aus, then another team. Other bowling attacks never apply the same pressure.
I rate Vaas as a very good bowler, and Cummming may struggle vs him but it will be easier than mgrath and gillespie first up. I'm not convinced that cumming should be our long term Opener yet but he should play vs srilanka, he needs to be given a few matches to prove himself.

About the assn XI, the match isnt televised so i'm not sure. Not even sure what the full team is, but Mcmillan got a hundred. From there theres a good batsman called Peter Fulton who has a higher first class average than any other nz batsman ever but he hasnt been picked yet (played an odi in bangladesh) for the nz test team.
At the moment I wouldn't make many changes except for Styris and oram back in. I like the way Vincent is playing, he looked agressive and looks a good middle order batsman.

I really like Ross Taylor (20 year old) playing for Assn XI, hes a very aggressive player who has a good future ahead of him. I'd pick him for our next odi series.
I've got same opinion of Kalavitgoda, a top order batsmen on this tour, his not a long term option at the top of the order for us but he should be given a go aganist the Kiwis. His FC record is nothing special, but Hamish FC record isn't that special and look how good he is playing. For me the long term option at the top of order should be Daniel and Vandort, Jaysuriya and Attapattu aren't going to be around forever.

When it comes to the Assn XI i was talking more about bowlers.

psxpro

Banned
We really have a lack of bowlers in NZ domestic cricket that are going to trouble class batsmen.
Maybe Butler will be fit? If he is I would pick him ahead of martin but I know Bracewell wont pick him.

I don't know much about the srilankan players yuo mentioned, what are they like?

I think the key Srilankan batsmen for us to dismiss will be attapattu and sangakarra.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
psxpro said:
We really have a lack of bowlers in NZ domestic cricket that are going to trouble class batsmen.
Maybe Butler will be fit? If he is I would pick him ahead of martin but I know Bracewell wont pick him.

I don't know much about the srilankan players yuo mentioned, what are they like?

I think the key Srilankan batsmen for us to dismiss will be attapattu and sangakarra.
Well the key batsmen for us is the big four jayasuriya, atapattu, sangakkara and mahela. I think Fleming and Hamish are the key wickets for us, i would add Astle and oram to that considering it in New Zealand.

Kalavitgoda is a decent opening batsmen who had a fair bet of success on the domestic circuit of late. He just got back into the A team and have a ok series aganist England A, which got him into the squad.

Ian Daniel has proabably been our best A batsmen of late, well until the England A series. He has a very good defence, similar type of batsmen to Atapattu.

Micheal Vandort is another good young opener but had problem with his technique of late, but it seems his solve them. he is having a really good OD Series aganist Pakistan A and England A. He made his Test debut aganist Bangladesh, got a 50 i think, but they play an A side in that match and hasn't really been close to the nation side since. Got allot of potential but.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
my thoughts exactly.. i hope he gets an opportunity soon and does well too! he looks like a good future for NZ Cricket !

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
psxpro said:
I really think NZ bowlers will do better against Srilanka, than they did against Australia.
Don't forget this was the Best Team in the world. And all teams do well after being thrashed by Aussies.

As a Sri Lankan, I would like to wish otherwise, but my gut feeling is Martin, Franklin and co. who looked ordinary against the World Champs, will look like Lion Tamers and Havoc breakers and routers against SL .

Even if I wish otherwise, I fear the Kiwis are getting ready to thrash the hell out of our team !! :D :D

I however have some confidence in Chaminda Vaas and Maharoof and Malinga to create some damage for the Kiwis in return .

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Second days play has been washed out in the only practice match before next week's Test.

I hope John Dyson and Brendon Kuruppu (SL coach and Manager) are trying their best to organise an extra practice match to get the batsmen some sort of a decent hit out before the test.

Otherwise, if tomorrow is washed out, the SL batters would have hardly had a chance to get used to the conditions before the first test.

dinu23

International Debutant
my line-up for the first test

marvan
sanath
kalavitigoda
sanga
mahela
dilshan
chandana
vass
maharoof
ruchira
malinga

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
dinu23 said:
my line-up for the first test

marvan
sanath
kalavitigoda
sanga
mahela
dilshan
chandana
vass
maharoof
ruchira
malinga
no samerawerra, i think they go with seven batsmen and four bowlers

psxpro

Banned
My NZ Team, If Oram and Styris are both fit, thats a big if becasue ive heard nothing.

C.Cumming
J.Marshall
H.Marshall
Fleming
Styris/Vincent
Astle
Oram
Mccullum
Vettori
Franklin
??

Just can't decide who will open the bowling with Franklin. Martin may have had enough chances now, he has done nothing since that great series performance vs southafrica.

Also Vincent Vs styris is very interesting. Normally I'd go for styris, he has a average around 40, does well when we have backs to the wall (eg that awesome 170 vs sa when we were 12/2), plays spin well and im a fan of styris. But then I don't want to drop vincent. He impressed me vs aussie even though he didnt get that many runs, he got a 68, 40 and 22. That 40 he hit today was really positive and I think he could be our answer in the middle order. Maybe hamish and james could open or maybe hamish and cumming. and move everyone up 1 so we can play both styris and Vincent.