• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in England

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Sri Lankan seamers (Maharoof, Kulasekera) looked very ordinary. Regardless of the time of year, I'd have had Bandara playing - you play your best three bowlers in all conditions.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Phoenix said:
Willow & Stumpy have been advertised as helping to make test match cricket simple for children and new comers.
tell them to go watch some twenty20, and come back when they are out of nappies :D

chris.chris

Cricket Spectator
Jayasuria

Why do u think that Jayasuria has come out of retirment. He is going to play in the next test you know

Barney Rubble

International Coach
chris.chris said:
Why do u think that Jayasuria has come out of retirment. He is going to play in the next test you know
Hmmmm......:huh:

Anyway, I'll answer your question - he's come out of requirement because his country's batting resources are hopelessly weak.

simmy

International Regular
Barney Rubble said:
Hmmmm......:huh:

Anyway, I'll answer your question - he's come out of requirement because his country's batting resources are hopelessly weak.
So is the bowling...

England will probably win by an innings IMO. Glad I put a sizeable bet on them!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
Freddie agrees with me. Plunkett is playing because he can bat at 8 - I think that's the difference over Lewis.
I'd have thought Lewis was battling Mahmood though?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
Yea but this frequently happens when there shouldn't be that much in the pitch for the spinner - compared to the seam bowlers.
Except we're talking about 2 of the best spinners of all time who can turn it on anything.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
What were the channel five highlights like? Surely they couldn't be worse than Channel 4's old Highlights
Pretty good, only problem I had was 2 advert breaks in that time.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Samuel_Vimes said:
Sri Lanka:

Tharanga
Mubarak
+Sangakkara
*Jayawardene
Dilshan
Samaraweera
Kapugedera
Maharoof
Vaas
Kulasekara
Muralitharan

Doesn't really matter IMO whether Vandort or Mubarak was picked. Intrigued by Kulasekara, tho.
This is why Moody needs to go. Because the 2 bowlers who most smart Srilankans would have picked Lasith Malinga and Nuwan Zoysa are not playing while the 2 least expected are playing. I guess Moody is reciprocating the England selectors in their decision to pick Plunkett over the Unlucky Jon Lewis.:mellow:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
I'm going 250+
I will top that by saying it will be Innings and 250 +

* What with Rudi and Dar having decided to give the close ones in England's favour and all that ...what the heck *

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
TT Boy said:
Now that looked pretty much a regulation LBW, Murali should feel aggrieved.
Murali missed out getting Trescothick out 3 times with 3 plumb LBWs . And Rudi kept turning them down despite them being absolutely Plumb .

Vaas missed out on Petersen's LBW as well. But this time it was Aleem.:)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
andyc said:
According to Cricinfo, the batsmen are having a hard time picking the doosra, which makes me reckon that Murali'll take a few this game.
Not likely given the belligerance of ICC appointed Umpires to turn down most LBW shouts from this guy, even if they are plumb .

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
Well we've certainly had the rub of the green: good toss to win, about half-a-dozen very reasonable LBW shouts turned down & then KP caught off a no-ball. I guess when your luck's in you ride the wave.

Sri Lanka don't look too flash tho just now, do they? Take Murali out & the bowling is county standard.
I would say worse than County standard , to be honest.:laugh:

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Such a happy supporter, aren't you Jason?

;)

Anyway, its good to see that we've got live coverage of this series. A few points:

1) It is such a relief to watch and listen to good coverage after putting up with the awful NZ and South African coverage in the last few months

2) The English batsmen's techniques are so much better than our guys (with the possible exception of Fleming). The pitch was doing a fair bit early on, but Trescothick and Strauss just played the line of the balls rather than pushing their hands at it like our lot do.

3) You are far better off playing 3 openers and batting one at three than selecting 3 middle order players and making two open. Yes, I'm talking to you John Bracewell.

4) The umpires need to look at the rules. You know, leg-before-wicket and all that.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Sir Redman said:
Such a happy supporter, aren't you Jason?

;)

Anyway, its good to see that we've got live coverage of this series. A few points:

1) It is such a relief to watch and listen to good coverage after putting up with the awful NZ and South African coverage in the last few months

2) The English batsmen's techniques are so much better than our guys (with the possible exception of Fleming). The pitch was doing a fair bit early on, but Trescothick and Strauss just played the line of the balls rather than pushing their hands at it like our lot do.

3) You are far better off playing 3 openers and batting one at three than selecting 3 middle order players and making two open. Yes, I'm talking to you John Bracewell.

4) The umpires need to look at the rules. You know, leg-before-wicket and all that.
I am happy when the team performs miserably so that I can lash out at our Team and everyone else .:laugh:

Such is the life of most Sri Lankan fans over the past couple of years.:)

I have to agree with you on the exceptional quality of the Commentary team. I love those guys. Gower, Beefy, Micael Holding, Atherton, Bumble , and even Naz. Only guy I miss is Geoffrey Boycott.:laugh:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They appear to be trying to place Nasser in the Simon Hughes role. :unsure:

Willow & Stumpy make me laugh, and I personally think it's a good idea

The coverage so far has been pretty good. And I think it's a Murali profile at lunch today, should be okay