• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Of the top order, I would say only Laxman and Dravid could say they copped really good balls, while there were a number of very poor shots from the others.
I know what you're saying about Laxman but it was always going to be a close leave. It zipped back a bit but that's Ntini's main schtick. I'm leaning towards a poor leave by Laxman but it was a decent nut. Aside from that and Dravid, poor stuff. Jaffer caught on the crease........again; Sehwag throwing the bat at a ball which, like the previous Test was, was short and swung away but, unlike the previous Test, also cut back in a bit; Ganguly seemed to be psyched out by the conditions; Dhoni, ugh.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, I remember watching that ball Dravid got and I immediatly thought we're screwed. Didn't think it'd be 76-screwed mind you, but that was an excellent delivery on a very helpful pitch.

As I said before, one of those times where I was happy admiring the opposition.

ret

International Debutant
thanx for the link .... clearly the Indians lacked a plan

The way Styen bowled is exactly how you get ppl out .... the best answer to such bowling is aggression mixed with caution

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
thanx for the link .... clearly the Indians lacked a plan

The way Styen bowled is exactly how you get ppl out .... the best answer to such bowling is aggression mixed with caution
What does that mean? It's contradictory. If you mean hitting bad balls and blocking & leaving the good ones, then that's just proper cricket you should be playing all the time. The best way to combat it would be to wait the swing out through the morning session. Take runs when you can but just try to survive. That's what an opener should be there for. That's his main job on pitches like that - protect the middle order from the worst of the conditions by relying on your technique and defense.

ret

International Debutant
What does that mean? It's contradictory. If you mean hitting bad balls and blocking & leaving the good ones, then that's just proper cricket you should be playing all the time.
it's like being positive and not going into a shell .... not just hitting the bad balls but also scoring of the good ones [not necessarily hitting boundaries] and rotating the strike .... being aggressive but not going just abt everything

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
actually remember Anderson bowling 90mph+ in the Ashes (and still getting slapped)
Really? I recall him bowling with some pace in the one-dayers, but in Tests he looked, for the most part, utterly listless and flat...if Stuart Clark (who generally dislikes facing real quick bowlers) slogs you over midwicket for a six or two, then, well...

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Dude, Ind have won following on the opposition many times .... going by your argument, Ind would only have won the games in which it batted first

And I doubt if Kumble would have batted first, if the green top were at Mohali

the irony of your post is that SA is in a strong position only coz of the pitch and the fact that Indian batsmen commited harakiri lol
Following on?! :huh: Very few teams win after following on.

ret

International Debutant
The best way to combat it would be to wait the swing out through the morning session. Take runs when you can but just try to survive. That's what an opener should be there for. That's his main job on pitches like that - protect the middle order from the worst of the conditions by relying on your technique and defense.
doing what you described is how the 4 of the top 5 wkts fell

Jaffar and Laxman could have got runs for the balls they got out to .... Ganguly went playing a defensive shot as well [in two minds whether to play or leave]. could have easily smashed that one for four .... Dravid got a nice ball though but he got himself squared up [that happens when you assume that the ball is going to hold its line or just come on to the body]

and stance on technique and defense is over-rated .... we usually see the team collapsing no matter how good or bad technique / defense a player has

see the scorecards below:

Durban 1

Durban 2

Melbourne 1

Melbourne 2

Melbourne 3

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Really? I recall him bowling with some pace in the one-dayers, but in Tests he looked, for the most part, utterly listless and flat...if Stuart Clark (who generally dislikes facing real quick bowlers) slogs you over midwicket for a six or two, then, well...
you can still look utterly listless and flat and bowl 90mph.... Having said that, Clark faced Anderson after 5 sessions in the field, he probably wasn't bowling 90mph+ then

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This game is over, in my book. If I was a Saffies fan, I'd be very comfortable with the blokes at the crease. Two guys but particularly Kallis who can grind you into the dust for a day because they have the techniques to withstand any late rallies, like the one by Harbhajan yesterday. They're already ahead by plenty so there's absolutely no need to play outside their natural games and I'd be very surprised if they weren't 500 ahead by the end of the day with these two blokes tonning up.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
doing what you described is how the 4 of the top 5 wkts fell

Jaffar and Laxman could have got runs for the balls they got out to .... Ganguly went playing a defensive shot as well [in two minds whether to play or leave]. could have easily smashed that one for four .... Dravid got a nice ball though but he got himself squared up [that happens when you assume that the ball is going to hold its line or just come on to the body]

and stance on technique and defense is over-rated .... we usually see the team collapsing no matter how good or bad technique / defense a player has

see the scorecards below:
That's just ridiculous. And when you say Ganguly got out not knowing 'when to attack or defend', that kind of puts a big hole in your theory, because thats the definition of what happens in a 'controlled aggression'.

masterblaster

International Captain
We need to strike early today and hope for a collapse of the tail. Knowing South Africa and their professionalism, they should rack up a huge lead.

Protean

State Regular
Lasting imagery of the day and mainly got it because of Steyn’s G/F to be honest, what a Jaffer. :happy:
Ah ok. I'll tell her to call you when I steal Dale :p The pitch looks greenish again. lets see if the Indian fast bowlers can use it this morning the way the SA bowlers did.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Kallis batting way too slowly here. A strike rate of 42 is unacceptable in this stage of the game. After bowling India out in 20 overs, South Africa should have a lead of over 500 by now. There's barely any time left in this match! What is he doing? Selfish average boosting IMO.

Protean

State Regular
Kallis batting way too slowly here. A strike rate of 42 is unacceptable in this stage of the game. After bowling India out in 20 overs, South Africa should have a lead of over 500 by now. There's barely any time left in this match! What is he doing? Selfish average boosting IMO.
:laugh: