• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NZ Domestic Season

Ming

State 12th Man
Prince EWS said:
I completely agree.

In saying that though, there arent really a lot of other options in ODIs. Mills has improved a lot, and should open the bowling and bowl out his 10 IMO. Bond and Adams should probably be the other bowlers when they are fit, but they are often injured, so you need to have backups. Martin and Franklin arent good enough, but who does that leave? Tuffey? Patel? McSkimming?
Franklin is good enough. He's a wicket taking bowler, and to name Adams ahead of Franklin is a crime. Adams is even more erractic with the ball than Franklin, and can't swing the ball unlike Franklin.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Ian Butler is out until at least March. It's a shame because he looked like he was actually starting to develop quite well.

If Bond stays fit & Sherlock manages to play quite a few games this season, then I could see the selectors taking a punt on selecting Sherlock for test matches to see how he goes in partnership with Bond.

We've got 3 tests coming up against the Windies in March, I don't see why he couldn't play 1 or 2 games if he is successful for Canterbury this season.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ming said:
Franklin is good enough. He's a wicket taking bowler, and to name Adams ahead of Franklin is a crime. Adams is even more erractic with the ball than Franklin, and can't swing the ball unlike Franklin.
Franklin isnt anywhere close to being good enough in ODIs.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I've always rated Franklin for tests (not ODI's) and I think he should be a regular.

Bond sharing the new ball with Butler and Franklin first change to swing it followed by Vettori with someone like Astle (batting at 5 or 6, not opening), Oram or Styris as the extra options seems to be one of the better attacks we could field.

I haven't seen much of Butler but he edges out Tuffey and Sherlock. Tuffey, like Natman said, seems to be getting injured a lot and I haven't seen Sherlock at all, but he seems promising.

Batting...thats another can of worms all together...

Ming

State 12th Man
What's the big fuss about Butler? He's not fast. At best he's only 140, and he only hits 150 once in a season. Most of the time he's around the late 130s, where he can't swing or seam the new ball even in assisting conditions. And don't even get me started on his accuracy. Blah blah blah, he got a 6-for, and that was against the Pakistan tailenders where he managed to LBW them with full tosses.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
_Ed_ said:
I agree that Franklin is test standard, in fact I want him to be a test regular...just don't want him anywhere near the ODI side at the moment.
Agree entirely.

The biggest problem I have with Franklin is his body-language. I mean he always looks down in the dumps as if he was a teenage boy who's just had his heart broken. Anyone else notice this?

_Ed_

Ming said:
What's the big fuss about Butler? He's not fast. At best he's only 140, and he only hits 150 once in a season. Most of the time he's around the late 130s, where he can't swing or seam the new ball even in assisting conditions. And don't even get me started on his accuracy. Blah blah blah, he got a 6-for, and that was against the Pakistan tailenders where he managed to LBW them with full tosses.
Yeah I agree, and a couple of those six were top edges that could have gone anywhere.

He did bowl quite well in India without luck so I guess he has some potential, but I'd like to see him improve a lot before he returns to the team.

_Ed_

zinzan12 said:
Agree entirely.

The biggest problem I have with Franklin is his body-language. I mean he always looks down in the dumps as if he was a teenage boy who's just had his heart broken. Anyone else notice this?
He does, that's very true.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
zinzan12 said:
Agree entirely.

He seems like a whinging baby. Constantly. Smile and the whole world smiles with you. Kick your fit at iddy biddy stones as you walk back to your mark after having been carved through cover once again because you can't put it in the spot or get usable swing, and the batsman smiles to himself.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Macca looks like he might lead Canterbury to victory - hahaha - wonder if this will be used as justification from the selectors to keep him in the squad. "Macca exhibited maturity, application and sound technique on a new pitch producing outrageous sideways movement. Coupled with the overhead conditions we (the selectors) are confident in retaining Macca in the squad for the Sri Lankan tour and perpituity. He is a senior player whom we expect to excell under the mantle of mentorship to the younger players - who, incidently, look up to him, much like Aussies do to Bradman."

Ming

State 12th Man
McMillan is a calm player. This so called wonder boy Fulton wouldn't have scored any runs had it not for McMillan's presence on the pitch. That's the influence Craig has on other players in the team and most importantly, he's a floater.

James

Cricket Web Owner
With Glenn Turner in the selection panel, I think we'd have to expect some selections from left field wouldn't we? Anyone remember Robert Kennedy and Lee Germon being selected under Turner ;)

Ming

State 12th Man
Well, Turner and co apparently went to the Wellington vs CD match only to see Ryder at the crease, but sadly he got run out and also was dismissed cheaply in the first innings on a green top. Hopefully he will be named in the squad tomorow.