• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Zimbabwe & Zimbabwe/New Zealand/India ODI Tri-Series

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Because virtually everyone bar you knows I'm referring to Martin.

:confused:

I meant other players who could replace Martin - virtually everyone bar you would have worked that out.

Last edited:

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
I think all we are suggesting is that names justify a statement rather than "he's old, find someone else".

Its fine to come here and start bagging one of our bowlers, because in your mind he is mediocre.

At least in future, some research might be applicable.

As i suggested earlier, please check the 2000 New Zealand tour of Africa in the archives. That will demonstrate just how shallow our bowling attack has been in recent years.

We can't exactly pick from the line of experience and talent like England or Australia.

Thats not defending our attack, its simply putting it into perspective for you as an outsider looking in.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
AndrewM said:
I think all we are suggesting is that names justify a statement rather than "he's old, find someone else".

Its fine to come here and start bagging one of our bowlers, because in your mind he is mediocre.

At least in future, some research might be applicable.

As i suggested earlier, please check the 2000 New Zealand tour of Africa in the archives. That will demonstrate just how shallow our bowling attack has been in recent years.

We can't exactly pick from the line of experience and talent like England or Australia.

Thats not defending our attack, its simply putting it into perspective for you as an outsider looking in.
No there's no need for research at all as I stated criteria and already know Martin is a fairly awful player overall. There are plenty of 25-26 year olds in NZ cricket who would be a better selection, especially against Zimbabwe.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Scaly piscine said:
No there's no need for research at all as I stated criteria and already know Martin is a fairly awful player overall. There are plenty of 25-26 year olds in NZ cricket who would be a better selection, especially against Zimbabwe.
Name several please. As a fan of the Black Caps, I'd really like to know.

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
Scaly piscine said:
And there in lies the fallibility of your argument.

Any names you would like to replace him with? I for one would love to see these crop of mid-20 year old fast bowlers that you talk about.

By all means, enlighten us New Zealand fans.

82 wickets in 25 matches is hardly "fairly awful overall".

You are on a hiding to nothing.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Voltman said:
I saw that on the news tonight. There is no way NZ can be blamed for not calling him back. The ball was still being returned from the outfield. It's complete and sheer stupidity on Mpofu's part and the fact the Zimbabweans were cracking up in the player's enclosure pretty much suggests he deserves what he got.
What made it even more humorous is that Mpofu was the same batsmen that was an absolute shocker getting out stumped for 0 in both innings in the first test :p

NZTailender

zinzan12 said:
What made it even more humorous is that Mpofu was the same batsmen that was an absolute shocker getting out stumped for 0 in both innings in the first test :p
And both times he had faced 7 balls!

shaka

International Regular
better than what happened to Craig Wishart who got run out in his innings of 0 balls.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Somerset said:
Definitely agree although it must rate as one of the most bizarre incidents in cricket history - I don't remember seeing anything quite that odd before.
Anyone mind explaining what happened?

_Ed_

He will quite likely be playing in that sort of a role I'd imagine, yes. He'll hopefully get a go in this tri-series against Zimbabwe, but fitness of all our first-choice players (primarily Vettori) permitting I'd doubt he'd be in serious contention for the series in South Africa at this stage.

_Ed_

andyc said:
Mahwire, on 49, hit the ball and took the single. He then excitedly celebrated his 50, while his partner, somehow not noticing this, came back for a second.

NZTailender

andyc said:
Mahwire on 49 hits the ball (to mid on?) and gets a run, and his first 50. Celebrates. mpofu after getting to the other end turns around and runs to congratulate him. Vettori throws it to McCullum who runs him out. I guess the umpires didn't signal dead ball or everyone thought Mpofu was setting out for a run.

_Ed_

NZTailender said:
Mahwire on 49 hits the ball (to mid on?) and gets a run, and his first 50. Celebrates. mpofu after getting to the other end turns around and runs to congratulate him. Vettori throws it to McCullum who runs him out. I guess the umpires didn't signal dead ball or everyone thought Mpofu was setting out for a run.
Oh, that's probably right. I only saw it out of the corner of my eye on the news and assumed he was running a second.