• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Zimbabwe & Zimbabwe/New Zealand/India ODI Tri-Series

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Craig Evans retired after he was left out of the ODI squad for the home series against West Indies (the one inbetween their tests in Australia and the VB series in Australia).

Douglas Marillier is available for selection. He played in the recent "A" series against Pakistan A, and failed.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005/PAK-A_IN_ZIM/SCORECARDS/PAK-A_ZIM-A_23MAY2005.html
http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005/PAK-A_IN_ZIM/SCORECARDS/PAK-A_ZIM-A_21MAY2005.html

Really though, anyone is a better bet than Vusi Sibanda. Im just going to assume that Rogers is injured, because they would be crazy to leave him out. Im also pretty confident that Lou Vincent and Mathew Sinclair are better seamers than Waddington Mwayenga.

Zimbabwe have enough players that have now retired and/or left the country without making fundamental selection mistakes like this. I was really pleased with the test squad, but this one day squad is a joke. Rogers, Matsikenyeri, Feirerra, Chigumbura, Vermeulen, Marillier, Mpofu and Williams can all consider themselves unlucky. Add to that the fact that MOST of their fast bowlers (Hondo, Panyangara, Mupariwa, Blignaut, Rainsford) are actually carrying injuries, and its no wonder they have been doing as badly as they are. Even with the exodus of quality players like Flower and Ervine, Zimbabwe could field a decent side. They are just choosing not to. And its not even race-related - they are just making poor selection decisions.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Prince EWS said:
Craig Evans retired after he was left out of the ODI squad for the home series against West Indies (the one inbetween their tests in Australia and the VB series in Australia).

Douglas Marillier is available for selection. He played in the recent "A" series against Pakistan A, and failed.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005/PAK-A_IN_ZIM/SCORECARDS/PAK-A_ZIM-A_23MAY2005.html
http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005/PAK-A_IN_ZIM/SCORECARDS/PAK-A_ZIM-A_21MAY2005.html

Really though, anyone is a better bet than Vusi Sibanda. Im just going to assume that Rogers is injured, because they would be crazy to leave him out. Im also pretty confident that Lou Vincent and Mathew Sinclair are better seamers than Waddington Mwayenga.

Zimbabwe have enough players that have now retired and/or left the country without making fundamental selection mistakes like this. I was really pleased with the test squad, but this one day squad is a joke. Rogers, Matsikenyeri, Feirerra, Chigumbura, Vermeulen, Marillier, Mpofu and Williams can all consider themselves unlucky. Add to that the fact that MOST of their fast bowlers (Hondo, Panyangara, Mupariwa, Blignaut, Rainsford) are actually carrying injuries, and its no wonder they have been doing as badly as they are. Even with the exodus of quality players like Flower and Ervine, Zimbabwe could field a decent side. They are just choosing not to. And its not even race-related - they are just making poor selection decisions.
I am in total agreement with you. it is just poor selection. They can really put up a better team. I am happy to see Wishart back in the scheme of things.
I definitely feel Marrielier should be part of this team, and he is more than an useful player.
I can never forget the innings he played against India.

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
New Zealand has won convincingly against a Zimbabwe Board XI in Bulawayo ahead of the one-day tri-series on Wednesday, defeating the home side by eight wickets.

Batting first, the Board XI could only muster 193 for 8 in their 50 overs. Brendon Taylor made 49 for the local side, with Craig Wishart and Stuart Carlisle (35 and 24 respectively) also contributing. All the New Zealand bowlers were accurate, with Jacob Oram making a confident return to the bowling crease, 8 overs for 25 runs but wicketless. Young spinner Jeetan Patel picked up two wickets, bowling in tandem with Daniel Vettori.

Andre Adams stole the show however, with one for 12 off nine overs.

Lou Vincent and Stephen Fleming wasted no time in chasing the target and raced along at over ten an over. Vincent posted his half-century in 30 balls, as he and his captain posted 108 for the first stand. Fleming fell for 46 while Vincent was adjudged leg-before for 66. At 146 for 2, Craig McMillan and Hamish Marshall guided the Black Caps home with 24.5 overs to spare. McMillan looked in fine touch for his 46 not out, while Marshall made an unbeaten 25.

New Zealand plays Zimbabwe in the first tri-series match in Bulawayo on Wednesday night (NZ time).

Last edited:

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
It looks like Oram is set for a recall - fantastic news.

Adams looks to have tidied up his erratic bowling, or at least there is evidence of it (for Essex as well).

All these bowling options puts a spanner in the works.

I think they should/will pick the following eleven:

Fleming
Astle
Marshall
Styris
McMillan
Cairns
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Adams
Bond

I dare say that it is our strongest one-day side for...as long as i can remember.

(Jumps with glee)

Last edited:

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
God, how many chances is McMillan going to be given?
I know Vincent's ODI record is rather pathetic, but he's a changed man since his re-emergence.
He looks very dangerous when he's in one his moods; he should be given a free license to attack, like how the Australians/Pietersen play.

We all know McMillan will score well against Zimbabwe, but then will become unstuck against better oppostion. How many times does he have to go through this for the selectors to finally realise he's a spent force?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
McMillan has actually done well in ODIs though. He even played decently against Australia when NZ got absolutely hammered.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Prince EWS said:
McMillan has actually done well in ODIs though. He even played decently against Australia when NZ got absolutely hammered.

I agree, Keep him away from tests though.

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
I would have McMillan over VIncent in the one-day side.

Vincent has played 60+ ODIs and has a pathetic record to say the least. I know he has improved markedly, but for that to simply warrant inclusion isn't enough. His strike rate is very low (60) and he only has a highest score of 60*.

I have never been a huge fan of McMillan, certainly not in the tests.

But he is a decentish one-day player, even if its only a quick 30.

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
BTW, James Marshall has been included in the one-day squad as cover for Nathan Astle, who is still not 100% over his finger injury.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
aussie said:
kiwis who is Jeetan Patel, what does he do???
He's an off-spinner. He tends to bowl quite flat, and has been used a lot at the end of one-day games by Wellington.

Does anyone have any news on Astle's fitness?

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Everyone is aware of his average stats, but he has been picked to play a containing role, and solve the problem NZ seem to have with death bowling. His List-A economy is actually quite good for someone who bowls about half their overs at the death, so I think hes a good selection.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think NZ will (and should) be disappointed if they don't win this series. Playing teams ranked no.7 and 9 shouldn't be all that difficult.

shaka

International Regular
But the one day game can have any result e.g. Bangladesh beating Australia recently is an ideal example (no offence to Bangladesh). Rankings mean nothing.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Prince EWS said:
Everyone is aware of his average stats, but he has been picked to play a containing role, and solve the problem NZ seem to have with death bowling. His List-A economy is actually quite good for someone who bowls about half their overs at the death, so I think hes a good selection.
Which is what Vettori has been doing. It will be nice to have Vettori able to attack.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Retox said:
Which is what Vettori has been doing. It will be nice to have Vettori able to attack.
Vettori hasnt been required to bowl at the death, though, which will be Patel's role if he plays.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Start delayed due to a damp spot on the pitch, being dried by a hair dryer. I kid you not.

Last edited: