• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in South Africa

Blaze

Banned
Prince EWS said:
For test matches, Sinclair certainly deserves another go. I wouldnt have him anywhere near a one-day side though.

Yeah tests maybe but he should never play another ODI. His trademark is hitting fielders rather than gaps.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Blaze said:
Yeah tests maybe but he should never play another ODI. His trademark is hitting fielders rather than gaps.
I actually think his one day career has hampered his test career. He has been dropped from the test side on the back of a poor one day season once or twice, where he would have been retained had he not played the one day games. It also seems to effect his confidence.

Im of the firm belief that had he not played ODIs at all, he would be firmly entrenched in the NZ test side.

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
Wouldn't Cairns be the perfect supersub

If we chase then he can come in low with big hitting
If we are defending he can come on the bowl at the death

If Sinclair does get back into the test team he would have to open

Natman20

International Debutant
I wouldn't ever get back sinclair in the ODI squad. He is just to slow in scoring runs. I wouldn't put How in either, I don't think we have seen enough of him yet whereas Fulton I think would be great. He would replace Hamish Marshall if he carries on his form for the next i dont know 4 matches. Ryder is another good player that could easily make it into the squad. If it was the start of the year I would have got rid of Styris but I think hes getting better. What was wrong with Oram?? why didn't he bowl the other night?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Natman20 said:
I wouldn't ever get back sinclair in the ODI squad. He is just to slow in scoring runs. I wouldn't put How in either, I don't think we have seen enough of him yet whereas Fulton I think would be great. He would replace Hamish Marshall if he carries on his form for the next i dont know 4 matches. Ryder is another good player that could easily make it into the squad. If it was the start of the year I would have got rid of Styris but I think hes getting better. What was wrong with Oram?? why didn't he bowl the other night?
He didnt bowl because he was subbed off... dont ask me why he was subbed off though...

And there is no way you can get rid of Styris from the OD side. Very under-rated with both bat and ball. I can see a case for him being dropped for the tests, but certainly not the ODIs.

Natman20

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
I think NZ threw that one away more than anything else, but Justin (what an up and coming Zulu!) and Nicky "Cucumber" Boje got us home nicely..

To be honest I think the only prizes NZ won yesterday would come under "Ugliest professional cricket team" discuss....
Hey lets stop the bias in these forums. Yeah South Africa had a great game and were good but you didn't need to say that. Just look at the rankings of the ODI teams and you will see that NZ is no ugly proffesional team. That name belongs to the West Indies :D kidding

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lyell_Chris said:
an over reaction ??

Marshall is out of form and vincent , adams and mills shouldn't be in the team

as for the young quick we have 4 atm, but Bracewell hates Butler
I honestly think Butler has a lot of potential. Why in the world does Bracewall hate him?

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Btw disappointed with the loss in the first ODI.. i think it was our win to take.. but S.Africa managed to steal it.. but i think come 2nd ODI we can and should put up an ever better performance!

sportychic33

State 12th Man
oram didn't bowl the other night because of injury. i can't tell you what exactly, south africa newspapers report that it was a groin strain, while stuff.co.nz said that it is his back that is the problem but he might bowl on friday, if fit enough.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
No, if he's fit enough to be considered for that he should be in the team.
But after being considered if some one feels he should not be in the team, wouldnt he be the perfect super sub? :p

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
No, if he's fit enough to be considered for that he should be in the team.
Considering he was recently dropped (IIRC)...

All-rounders, to me, can be the perfect super-sub, on the proviso that they are roughly the 12th best player in the side.

Blaze

Banned
vic_orthdox said:
All-rounders, to me, can be the perfect super-sub, on the proviso that they are roughly the 12th best player in the side.

Yeah that is the only way they really work as the super sub IMO.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Sir Redman said:
Butler bowled off about 5 paces on Saturday for Pukekohe. Apparently he had a sore back, but it was also wet so that might have been the only concern.
Guy at work told me Butler scored 98 and Tuffey made a century opening the innings...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Macka said:
Guy at work told me Butler scored 98 and Tuffey made a century opening the innings...
Seeing as Sir Redman actually played against Butler on the weekend, I reckon he might know ;)

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
vic_orthdox said:
Considering he was recently dropped (IIRC)...

so styris should be the sub if he ain't in the 11