• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in South Africa

bradman2005

Cricket Spectator
Lyell_Chris said:
the quicks r Butler, Sherlock, Davis n Burtt or what ever his name is,

Adams i suppose can say but I realy don't like mills

we need a death bowle
LOL,none of those quicks shud be enywere near the odi team at the moment(apart from butler,he shud be given another go)

The death is allways a weak point in the nz team but i think Patel will be filling that role

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Pratyush said:
I would really like some stat generator to let us get figures such as these if we want. Like how many teams have gone on to chase a total of range X to Y in so many overs given so many wickets in hand over all, in a specific country etc.

Good call Pratyush,that would be great if those stats were at hand ,there are so many stats to find in ODI format but they are playing a big part in cricket knowlege these days.
Lets get a petition started to have the power at our finger tips to find the stats at the drop of a hat.

:gathering:

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
bradman2005 said:
so we shud just drop adams and mills despite the fact they have good odi records and played well against SA,and replace them with a raw quick from first class, butler is injured isnt he? ( can u name the 4 bowlers)
Butler bowled off about 5 paces on Saturday for Pukekohe. Apparently he had a sore back, but it was also wet so that might have been the only concern.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Jeez, there are some serious over-reactions here. Yes, we should have won, but its not as though we were thrashed and all the batsmen that failed need to be thrown out.

It would be a mistake IMO to drop Marshall. He didn't look bad yesterday, he was just unlucky that he got one which kept pretty low. His recent failures have mainly been against weaker teams, which has been the trend throughout his career so far. I'm pretty confident that he'll come right this tour.

I thought the pitch for the game was horribly low and slow. You could see with some of Bond's shorter balls just how slowly the ball came on, and throughout the game batsmen struggled to time their shots.

And as a final note, do the South Africans here get the same coverage as us? Because if you do, this is a public apology for inflicting Jeremy Coney on you. The guy just won't shut up. Every commentary stint he had he outnumbered the other guy by about 50 words to 1, with almost all of it brain-numbingly obvious things. Can someone tell him that we have got eyes and don't need him to describe everything we see?

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
I'm not saying these things because of this one match

I don't like vincent and mills

i think marshall is a real talent but he hasn't been playing well

Adams I think can stay untill we find some-one better

Blaze

Banned
Lyell_Chris said:
I'm not saying these things because of this one match

I don't like vincent and mills

i think marshall is a real talent but he hasn't been playing well

Adams I think can stay untill we find some-one better

Bringing back Harris? Lol he is over the hill. We have to keep playing marshall for a while longer yet before we discard him. Hopefully he regains some form.

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
yes but i'd put cairns ahead of harris

I think those 3 should be in the squad but they won't all get on the field at the same time

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I caught the last 4 overs of the game. Great game. All credit to Kemp, Boucher, Prince and Polly. They got RSA home from an almost hopeless position. The pitch was rather sluggish. While it didn't exactly help the bowlers a great deal, shot making was certainly on the tougher side on that wicket. That makes Kemp and Pollock's partnership all the more creditable. Good start to what should be a close series, IMO.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think NZ threw that one away more than anything else, but Justin (what an up and coming Zulu!) and Nicky "Cucumber" Boje got us home nicely..

To be honest I think the only prizes NZ won yesterday would come under "Ugliest professional cricket team" discuss....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I watched the full replay on Fox Sports here in Australia, have no idea why they didn't show the first ODI live but they're showing the rest which is good news. I thought South Africa were in real trouble once they were 3 down, but Kemp was magnificent and with Pollock took the game away from NZ. He truly is amazing to watch when he just decides to go for it. I still remember him blasting Kabir Ali last year when England went over to SA. That was fun/

Shane Bond didn't exactly have his best game, but I'm hoping he fires in the next one dayer because I haven't seen him in such a long time. I also want Marshall to get back into form, because he's one of my favourite batsmen and his form slump is beginning to stretch out a bit too long. Kyle Mills bowled brilliantly, and I think he has a place in the NZ one day team so long as he doesn't bowl at the death. Speaking of death bowling, poor Patel. I think he can do the job for NZ in the future though, but on smaller grounds he may get smacked around too. Tough catch to drop, but I have no doubt it likely cost them the match.

I think Smith made the wrong decision subbing off Ntini for Boje after only 4 overs. I know what he was trying to do with the slow pitch and all, but I just don't think it worked at all. The pitch may not have suited Ntini's bowling, but he picked up a wicket and it just looks odd when one of the SA fast bowlers who was only a month ago bowling for the World XI gets subbed off.

I think NZ need to get over Harris and Cairns and those calling for their return should think again. This NZ outfit is reasonably good, and continously going back to those guys isn't going to do anything for the future of NZ cricket.

Also to SA fans, how far is AB de Villiers from playing ODIs again? I know he hasn't lit the world on fire in the limited overs game in the 9 matches he's played and right now there probably isn't a slot available for him, but I'd like to see him back in there soon enough.

I look forward to a close series here as a neutral. I just want it to go down to the 5th game, so with SA 1-0 up, I hope NZ can win the 2nd ODI and level the scores. :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Blaze said:
OK for me where we lost the game was at the coin toss. We are a much, much better side when we chase. We always lose our way batting first and choke at the death with our bowling.
Whilst you are correct, NZ are no doubt much better chasers, I think NZ need to get over that. Setting targets (particularly on good batting conditions, though the first ODI wasn't) is the cornerstone of a successful ODI team. You can't rely on winning the toss and fielding all the time. NZ have a pretty good batting team, and if Marshall gets in form it'll become much stronger. May as well get the runs on the board, they could have got enough today if it weren't for promising partnerships ending prematurely.

Dean

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
[Also to SA fans, how far is AB de Villiers from playing ODIs again? I know he hasn't lit the world on fire in the limited overs game in the 9 matches he's played and right now there probably isn't a slot available for him, but I'd like to see him back in there soon enough.

AB was released to play for the Titans this weekend and he scored 98 before he was run out... The Titans won... Like South Africa!

AB will rejoin the national squad on Wednesday.

Go SA!

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Whilst you are correct, NZ are no doubt much better chasers, I think NZ need to get over that. Setting targets (particularly on good batting conditions, though the first ODI wasn't) is the cornerstone of a successful ODI team. You can't rely on winning the toss and fielding all the time. NZ have a pretty good batting team, and if Marshall gets in form it'll become much stronger. May as well get the runs on the board, they could have got enough today if it weren't for promising partnerships ending prematurely.
There was an article on stuff.co.nz a little while ago with our chasing versus setting statistics. I can't remember the details (and can't find the article again), but pretty much all of our batsmen have significantly better chasing statistics. Fleming was averaging around 50 chasing and 25 setting, Marshall around 45 chasing and 20 setting and McMillan and Styris were also much stronger chasing. Astle was our only consistent guy, with 35 both chasing and setting.

Natman20

International Debutant
Jono said:
A very inconsistent batting team that relies on individual performances to get them through. The top order lacks something. Hamish Marshall is struggling at the moment. Vincent is getting out early and is not scoring runs as is James Marshall, Astle is also not very consistent whereas Flemming has been way more consistent than the others except against Brilliant Australian pace bowlers. I think its time fulton replaced Hamish Marshall because he has been terrible really in this season. His average with the bat in Zimbabwe was 6.75 in 4 innings!!! and an average of 12 in two tests against Zimbabwe. James Marshall even worse at an average of 7.50 in that test series. My solution, put Daniel Vettori up the order as well as Oram

Natman20

International Debutant
Sir Redman said:
There was an article on stuff.co.nz a little while ago with our chasing versus setting statistics. I can't remember the details (and can't find the article again), but pretty much all of our batsmen have significantly better chasing statistics. Fleming was averaging around 50 chasing and 25 setting, Marshall around 45 chasing and 20 setting and McMillan and Styris were also much stronger chasing. Astle was our only consistent guy, with 35 both chasing and setting.
Its interesting to know that the only match we played chasing in zim/ind/nz series was in the final against India. We still had reasonable success batting first but are far more dominant chaing I agree.

bradman2005

Cricket Spectator
Langeveldt said:
I think NZ threw that one away more than anything else, but Justin (what an up and coming Zulu!) and Nicky "Cucumber" Boje got us home nicely..

To be honest I think the only prizes NZ won yesterday would come under "Ugliest professional cricket team"
discuss....
thats a bit harsh,imo

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
People say get over cairns, then say we have crap death bowling
Cairns is our best death bowler with his slower ball

Natman as for putting Oram and Vettori up the order we should give Fulton, Ryder and How a go first.
Sinclair and Papps deserve another go aswell