• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in South Africa

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
vic_orthdox said:
Considering he was recently dropped (IIRC)...
Wasn't that more due to some sort of fitness issue though?

vic_orthdox said:
All-rounders, to me, can be the perfect super-sub, on the proviso that they are roughly the 12th best player in the side.
Yes, but I'd not say Cairns is in that position to be honest - if he's still good enough to be involved, he should be in the team where he can make the impact with bat or ball - rather than being restricted to "having" to come in and perform with one discipline only.

shaka

International Regular
sportychic33 said:
oram didn't bowl the other night because of injury. i can't tell you what exactly, south africa newspapers report that it was a groin strain, while stuff.co.nz said that it is his back that is the problem but he might bowl on friday, if fit enough.
more likely to accept the stuff.co.nz claim of reason for absence of Oram. Perhaps swap Marshalls for the next game.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lyell_Chris said:
so styris should be the sub if he ain't in the 11
Styris WILL be in the XI when fit though. He is one of the best players in the squad. Certainly a better ODI player than Oram at this stage.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lyell_Chris said:
true marc but i suggested the super sub thing knowing that he isn't 100% fit
To be honest, I don't think you can reisk naming a super sub if he's not fit.

Natman20

International Debutant
I remember thinking in the last State Shield that Patel should be picked in the ODI squad but now hes actually there I don't think he belongs there. Who else could be in the squad apart from him? possibly as a super-sub. I was thinking maybe Bruce Martin, he could add to our spinning attack and not be just a death bowler like Patel is.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
oram's problem from stuff.co.nz is that he has a slight groin strain. he was looking towards bowling in the upcoming game but from the sounds of this article it sounds like it might be next week when he bowls again. but with his batting in the last game he will probably play as a batter in friday's game

graydon_123

Cricket Spectator
As a supporter of NZ but a previous SA supporter (my grandad played for the springboks) i think SA may win the series 3-2. NZ have never won a series in SA which may be sumthing too go by. Although with Bond in top form (i think so atleast - 6 wickets against india has too be good) and Vettori bowling well NZ may be able too scrape though with a series win, but unlikely as they have lost the first already.

Hopefully NZ win!!!

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Without wishing to state the obvious..........NZ must win tomorrow to have a chance to win the series. If S.A do win the 2nd game, I don't give NZ any chance of coming back because the psycological advantage and the momentum is such a big factor between these two sides. And S.A now have the momentum even though the last game was very close. I definately hold S.A as hot favourites going into this game. I do hope I'm wrong.

On the NZ team ......

I'd have.....

Flem
Astle
Styris
Vincent
Mcmillan
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Adams
Mills
Bond

Patel - SS

Yes..... its goodbye to Marshall for now.......lets face it he's well out of form and needs a rest for his own good. I know Vincent's ODI record is below par but IMO he's a quicker scorer these days or though I'd be just as happy if he's comes in further down the order.

Blaze

Banned
Why do you go on about the psychological factor being so big between these two sides?

I don't believe in that ******** tbh, most sides have sports psychologists with them these days that help them get over losses.

SA won the first match in the last series and we proceeded to win the next 5 games. Why? Because we played the better cricket.

People talk about Fleming getting the edge over Smith but people forget that the scoreline was 3-1 when he did that and Fleming dropped Smith in the game he confronted him.

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion and you could well be right, but I just don't buy into any of it. The team that plays the better cricket doesn't let psychological nonsence get to them.

Blaze

Banned
Prince EWS said:
I'd certainly pick Marshall over Vincent.

ATM I don't think Marshall offers much more than Vincent.. it is a 50/50 call IMO. Marshall has more talent though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
zinzan12 said:
On form over the last month or so???
No, not on form over the last month or so. On ability to play ODIs.

Both have been pretty poor in ODIs recently, but I think Marshall's poor returns are due to poor form, while Vincent's are due to the fact that he doesnt have a good record in ODIs, or List A games for that matter. Vincent is probably in average form, but this is what average form produces for Vincent. Marshall, on the other hand, is clearly just in poor form, and he could reverse it.

He may fail again, but I dont think he has any more chance of failing that Vincent, and he certainly has more chance of succeeding over the long term.

_Ed_

I'd keep Marshall in the team, he is in poor form, but he usually lifts his game against strong opposition. He looked promising in the first game up until the ball that got him out.

Zinzan

Blaze said:
Why do you go on about the psychological factor being so big between these two sides?

I don't believe in that ******** tbh, most sides have sports psychologists with them these days that help them get over losses.

SA won the first match in the last series and we proceeded to win the next 5 games. Why? Because we played the better cricket.

People talk about Fleming getting the edge over Smith but people forget that the scoreline was 3-1 when he did that and Fleming dropped Smith in the game he confronted him.

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion and you could well be right, but I just don't buy into any of it. The team that plays the better cricket doesn't let psychological nonsence get to them.
Fair enough fella....we disagree. I hope your right and the first game doesn't mean much and we do turn it around. I just believe that cricket is as much a mental game as one of skill and that the subconcious and unconcious thoughts of players are much more negative after a loss. Hey.... I know its sports and not psychology, but confidence is always spurred on by success...