• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in South Africa

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lyell_Chris said:
Fulton is one of NZ's best batters imo

him not being there is another bracewell special
Whether thats true or not, he isnt in the squad, so he isnt an option. He also doesnt have the greatest List A record - he averages just 31.38 - so perhaps he'd be a better option for tests than one dayers.

Although NZ domestic averages have been very misleading in recent times.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lyell_Chris said:
he mite b another sinclair odi's could screw him

they shouldn't b stepping stones 4 tests
Then why did you criticise Bracewell for leaving him out of this series? He might be thinking exactly that - saving him until hes ready to get a place in the test side.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Blaze said:
ATM I don't think Marshall offers much more than Vincent.. it is a 50/50 call IMO. Marshall has more talent though.
Depends on how you define talent really........Marshall has no doubt had more success at international level up to now. But if your talking raw natural talent, I'm not convince Marshall has more. He definately has better shot selection than Vincent. But I actually reckon Vincent is one of the most talented Strokeplayers NZ has had for a while. When in full flow such as his debut test against Aust or that double hundred against S.L or that 170 odd in that recent ODI (even though it was Vs Zim) he looks a world beater.

He actually reminds me of lot of Ken Rutherford TBH in that he can look so talented but finds soft ways to get out

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
because Fulton has been around the odi squad and played some odi's when every-one was 2 scared to go 2 Pakistan

And he is ready to get a place in the test team, he's 26 and scored bucketloads of runs in fc cricket

_Ed_

Prince EWS said:
Hamish Marshall.... the Kiwi version of Vusi Sibanda?
Maybe, but with his test average of 48 and ODI of 33 I think that's where the similarities cease :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lyell_Chris said:
because Fulton has been around the odi squad and played some odi's when every-one was 2 scared to go 2 Pakistan

And he is ready to get a place in the test team, he's 26 and scored bucketloads of runs in fc cricket
I dont think Ive ever seen someone change their mind in successive posts more times in a row than you just have!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
_Ed_ said:
Maybe, but with his test average of 48 and ODI of 33 I think that's where the similarities cease :p
Well you always have to expect some change in averages when having different "versions" of players, especially when comparing Zimbabwe to New Zealand.

Terry Duffin is the Zimbabwean Mark Richardson, and if he gets anywhere near Rigor's average Ill be astounded.

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
Prince EWS said:
I dont think Ive ever seen someone change their mind in successive posts more times in a row than you just have!
I said he MIGHT be another sinclair
we can't tell that yet

Natman20

International Debutant
Its going to be a good game tonight. I am expecting NZ to win. Wish I could stay up and watch but its goin 2 b midnight here when it starts. I hope that Oram and Styris can bowl tonight. I would also like to see more of Makhaya Ntini. I probably spelt his name wrong. :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:
I hope NZ win, it'll make the series very interesting. :)
I forgot it was on the telly until I checked this thread.

Looking forward to watching Angry Nel get all hot under the collar. Popcorn on standby.

_Ed_

Says on Cricinfo (will put TV on in a minute) that South Africa won the toss and are batting...interesting choice considering NZ's obvious preference for chasing.

_Ed_

First wicket down...have to feel for Puttick though! On your debut and getting some nasty deliveries from Bond before being clean bowled for a duck. Poor guy.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Poor Puttick :(

I know its been happening for a while, but what was the official reason for Gibbs batting in the middle order in ODIs rather than opening? Now he's at number 3 (basically opening today with the early wicket).

It just reminds me of the phrase 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
BOWLING SHANE!

Not Shane Warne, but Shane Bond. Looks like he can get a wicket every ball. :cool:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jono said:
Poor Puttick :(

I know its been happening for a while, but what was the official reason for Gibbs batting in the middle order in ODIs rather than opening? Now he's at number 3 (basically opening today with the early wicket).

It just reminds me of the phrase 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.
Gibbs did do very well against England early this year batting at 4/5, scored 2 tons and 2 half centuries. Can't remember if it was originally done to accommodate AB, might have been that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah you're right Scaly, he and Kallis put on partnerships very well in the top order. I'm not necessarily saying that Gibbs in the middle order failed, I just think he's better opening the innings with Smith.

I know Gibbs was put in the middle order in tests to accomodate AB as opener (that lasted 1 test), but I didn't know it was for ODIs too, thanks.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Anyway, SA really taking it to NZ now. Smith and Gibbs have turned it up with the powerplay in place. Smith smashing 3 consecutive boundaries off Bond has really changed the momentum of this game.