• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official** New Zealand in England

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Vaughan may have utilised Giles a bit more...although he didn't really look like causing any problems. In the end..I think his selection just came down to added variety in the attack.

PY

International Coach
27/0 (10 overs) at Lunch.

New Zealand only hit 46 singles in the whole innings. And hit well over 50 fours. I hope England can utilise rotating the strike a lot more.

Kent

State 12th Man
Some spooky shades of the Kent game this morning. The brilliant Cairns (what will the Channel 9 team and the rest of the Aussie critics say when we turn up for the tests without him?) left to die swinging, again. NZ trundlers looking pretty toothless, again.

And please don't give McCullum and Vettori another nightwatchman that pushes them down as low as 10! It was pretty obvious those two can't blot out a scoreboard, instead just batting like their lowly positions tell them they should.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
PY said:
27/0 (10 overs) at Lunch.

New Zealand only hit 46 singles in the whole innings. And hit well over 50 fours. I hope England can utilise rotating the strike a lot more.
Plenty of them would have been in the first hour, too.

To pick up what Geoffrey was blathering on about - can Martin swing it back into the left handers?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ had the right intent, but their execution was poor. The game has developed quite quickly now that Cairns has had his say but whether thats good for NZ I don't know at this stage.

chris.hinton

International Captain
MY View

New Zealand are a very under-rated isde they have talented players like Oram and Cairns, astle back up by Richardson who is a Geoff Boycott

England Seamers did not do a Bad job, good to see Harmy in the Wickets Again.

Giles has got to go?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I gather from newspaper reports that Martin has been struggling with the Duke ball...we use Kookaburra's down in NZ.

I haven't often seen Martin swing it back into the lefties although if my memory is correct he managed to do it a few times against the South African batsmen..which put a lot of doubt into their mind as to which way he was going to swing it.

At this stage, it's too close to call. Trescothick has looked edgy but Strauss has looked pretty good.

Andre

International Regular
chris.hinton said:
Giles has got to go?
He bowled 5 overs! I can't help but think that some of you guys call for player sacking simply so you can have a say in everything.

PY

International Coach
Think that might be why Chris said it.

What's the point of having a front-line bowler (which he is even though his batting has improved) who only bowls 5 overs out of 100? Seems a waste of time to me, Butcher or Trescothick could have picked up those 5 or Collingwood if he was the replacement for Giles.

I think I'm right in saying that Collingwood is capable of bowling tweakers. Might be worth him practicing those a lot as could be a way into the side in non-spin friendly conditions.

twctopcat

International Regular
Tim said:
I gather from newspaper reports that Martin has been struggling with the Duke ball...we use Kookaburra's down in NZ.
A bad workman always blames his tools..... :D . 126-0 not bad going.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Erk. Nothing happening in NZ's favour right now, and a long way to go... looks like this one may well end up as a draw, unless the English bowlers step it up a notch - or the NZ bowlers prove miracles happen.

EDIT: Going by the times I've glanced at the commentary, it looks like NZ are bowling some good balls that beat the batsmen - but just not good enough (they don't hit the wickets) or too good (the batsman takes a swing but misses so much that they don't even get an edge).

Have there been any real chances yet?

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
PY said:
Think that might be why Chris said it.

What's the point of having a front-line bowler (which he is even though his batting has improved) who only bowls 5 overs out of 100? Seems a waste of time to me, Butcher or Trescothick could have picked up those 5 or Collingwood if he was the replacement for Giles.

I think I'm right in saying that Collingwood is capable of bowling tweakers. Might be worth him practicing those a lot as could be a way into the side in non-spin friendly conditions.
But I'm not so sure that's in Giles' control - shouldn't that be pointed squarely at Trescothick?

a massive zebra

International Captain
Andre said:
But I'm not so sure that's in Giles' control - shouldn't that be pointed squarely at Trescothick?
The reason Giles bowled so little was not Trescothick's fault (although he didn't exactly impress me as a captain), it was because he is a feeble bowler who cannot be relied upon and we have better alternatives - therefore Chris is right? Why have a bowler who can only be relied upon to 5 overs an innings?

Andre

International Regular
Well done Andy Strauss!!!

100 on Test debut - at Lords. Take a bow. Here's hoping England have unearthed something special.

Andre

International Regular
a massive zebra said:
The reason Giles bowled so little was not Trescothick's fault (although he didn't exactly impress me as a captain), it was because he is a feeble bowler who cannot be relied upon and we have better alternatives - therefore Chris is right? Why have a bowler who can only be relied upon to 5 overs an innings?
And wouldn't you think Giles is a feeble bowler because captains like Trescothick have shown little or no confidence in him? I've seen Giles bowl very well at times, when Nasser threw him the ball in a difficult situation or earlier on in his career in ODI's under Alec Stewart. He has the ability to bowl very well at the highest level but is yet to find that confidence from his captain to throw him the ball at any time. Until this is achieved, don't bag Giles, he's just performing like every other human being would who lacked the confidence of the captain.

Besides, name me a better spin alternative in England?

Sudeep

International Captain
Andre said:
Well done Andy Strauss!!!

100 on Test debut - at Lords. Take a bow. Here's hoping England have unearthed something special.
... putting more pressure on Nasser Hussain.

But a good start for Strauss. Deserves an applause.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I cannot see Giles playing at Headingley now that Strauss has made himself pretty much un-drop-able. Vaughan back in for Giles and him and Butcher to pick up the overs of Giles?

If we play a spinner as a fifth bowler, it's Giles or Batty. You can't select Brown or Keedy (neither of whom are significantly different in ability anyway) because the tail would then be fatally long.

When (if) Collingwood/Pietersen/Gidman/Bell make the side, then they also provide occasional bowling options, so selection of average spinners (which they all are) won't be needed any more.