• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official** New Zealand in England

anzac

International Debutant
MoxPearl said:
yeah well our batters are 20x better than our bowlers.. or did u miss the first innings ?

to be bluntly honest IMO we were lucky.............Flem & Papps managed to put together a big partnership that set up the likes of Cairns, McCullum & Vettori..............

if it had followed the tour to date then Papps would have been out early & Flem would have come in to bat with Richardson & I doubt the innings would have gone the same way, although Richardson would probably have scored near his average..............

Loony BoB

International Captain
twctopcat said:
Not as simple as that, we fielded like tossers on the first day, and Papps and to a lesser extent Fleming were lucky. And on this pitch wickets could fall tomorrow.
Correction: Sometimes you fielded like tossers. However, sometimes you fielded like the best of them. You can't fault the NZ batsmen for how well you guys field. Same goes for the English batsmen and the missed catches etc.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
Loony BoB said:
Looking at his stats, he's far from impressive, even at domestic level... he only took 7 wickets from 8 matches this season. May as well have another 80mph seamer! :p
your right ignore me

/puts down drink

But back to topic.. who would u replace veto with ?

anzac

International Debutant
hands up all those who questioned...........

the 14 man squad...........
the selections of Tuffey, Astle & Bond (particularly the latter)...........

8-)

Loony BoB

International Captain
MoxPearl said:
your right ignore me

/puts down drink

But back to topic.. who would u replace veto with ?
Bruce Martin if we need a spinner. If we risk not having a spinner: Andre Adams or Ian Butler, purely for variety (and no other reason at all in Butler's case, because you can't say he's in form).

Or Danny Morrison. Bring him out of retirement. Maybe Hadlee, actually. :D

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
i think with a new batter in nz should be a bit more agressive....

but with the way the bowlers are bowling.. :/

Loony BoB

International Captain
anzac said:
hands up all those who questioned...........

the 14 man squad...........
the selections of Tuffey, Astle & Bond (particularly the latter)...........

8-)
I've never questioned Astle - I almost KNEW he'd do well, and he has. Tuffey I wasn't sure about how serious it was (and it seems neither did NZ Cricket), Bond I was optimistic and nothing more. And I knew it was optimism. I was always doubtful of a "new technique" though. That to me means "changing something that works."

anzac

International Debutant
NZL have to come out this series with something positive - even if it is not a 'result' on the field, but in the exposure of new faces.............

IMO there needs to be drastic changes to the 3rd test team & players called in that will be used to do the job, not just put on standby etc..............

players in question are...........

Bond.................fitness;
Papps................injured;
McMillan.............injured;
Tuffey...............injured;
Oram.................injured;
Martin................form;
Vettori...............injured;
Styris................form.

not bad for a 14 man squad - 8 fit players to select from with 2 struggling for form...if any of the above are not 100% fit then they should not be selected.......

So far we have Hopkins & Sinclair already called into the squad, with several others put on standby as cover...........IMO they need to forget about 'cover' and to look at the requirements of the team re potential roles = Opener, middle order, allrounder?, strike bowler, spin bowler etc.....

in reality I expect some of the above to 'recover' in time for the 3rd test, and the only change is possibly regarding Papps with McMillan coming in & Fleming opening...........

Last edited:

Rich2001

International Captain
anzac said:
So far we have Hopkins & Sinclair already called into the squad, with several others put on standby as cover...........IMO they need to forget about 'cover' and to look at the requirements of the team re potential roles = Opener, middle order, allrounder?, strike bowler, spin bowler etc.....
When do your One Day Squad arrive? anyone you could borrow... at the end of the day with over 5 injuries to a 14 man group, there is no-way they can afford to drop those that are out of form, you simply don't have the cover and I doubt the selctors would want to drastically change a team with players that could be jet-lagged, no match pratice and just not having seen the conditions.

tooextracool

International Coach
anzac said:
2 questions......do you have a clue as to why NZ came into headingly with only 3 frontline pace bowlers.....shouldnt they have just dropped oram and picked mills?
and has tuffey always been bowling with a scrambled seam?

anzac

International Debutant
Rich2001 said:
When do your One Day Squad arrive? anyone you could borrow... at the end of the day with over 5 injuries to a 14 man group, there is no-way they can afford to drop those that are out of form, you simply don't have the cover and I doubt the selctors would want to drastically change a team.
I don't know exactly - the only players coming in are Hopkins, Harris & Marshall, & Hopkins has already been drafted in.............some of us have been suggesting Marshall should be in the team, while others also like Harris.........

I agree that the selectors will only make a change if they absolutely have to & will not look beyond those players of recent experience currently in ENG.....

their selections for this test have already indicated that we are not likely to see many changes - particularly in the bowling...............

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
Sounds as if Flintoff got away with an LBW. Is it me or has Bucknor gone a bit senile over the past year? Used to be a pretty much flawless umpire.

EDIT: Flintoff off out, ****.
The one which kept low? My first thought was that he'd got a nick on it, but the slomo indicated not.

Rich2001

International Captain
tooextracool said:
do you have a clue as to why NZ came into headingly with only 3 frontline pace bowlers.....shouldnt they have just dropped oram and picked mills?
I guess they rate his batting so highly that they felt he could play as a batsman alone with the top order eg Styris not firing they felt they needed some extra protection and the bowling would be ok asuming it as a off day at Lords and the conditions would help them alot more, unfortuantly for them the sun came out and the track has played well after the first couple of days.

anzac

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
2 questions......do you have a clue as to why NZ came into headingly with only 3 frontline pace bowlers.....shouldnt they have just dropped oram and picked mills?
and has tuffey always been bowling with a scrambled seam?
my guess for the 1st would be they wanted Oram for his batting form & hoped that they could use Styris as 5th option - they still selected 4 bowlers in Vettori, Cairns, Tuffey & Martin, & probably didn't want to make too many changes other than what they had to...a bit of bluff & bull**** mixed with lots of hope that those struggling re form would miraculously come right on the day.....

from what I saw v PAK & RSA Tuffey had a pretty good seam position.........he was able to trouble most of the PAK bastmen with seam movement off fairly flat tracks in the tests.....

twctopcat

International Regular
luckyeddie said:
The one which kept low? My first thought was that he'd got a nick on it, but the slomo indicated not.
I think it was the one that kept low. I was just trying to point out the inconsistency of Bucknor, though this one may have been a difficult one i don't know. He was a bit dodgy in the india vs pakistan series if i recall correctly.

Rich2001

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
Eddie he was on 90 at the time, would have hit middle half way up... not sure if that's the same one your thinking, I don't recall a knick at the time... but may very well be wrong.

Chris Martin now having some trouble keeps rubbing and streching his legs... could just be some cramp though.

500 Up :) Lead by 91 now.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rich2001 said:
Eddie he was on 90 at the time, would have hit middle half way up... not sure if that's the same one your thinking, I don't recall a knick at the time... but may very well be wrong
That's the one - and I was on the phone at the time talking to my daughter, not really concentrating on the cricket. I'm half blind, almost totally deaf (well, almost totally deaf to criticism anyway) and can easily have been mistaken. The slomo indicated I was.

tooextracool

International Coach
Rich2001 said:
unfortuantly for them the sun came out and the track has played well after the first couple of days.
well it hasnt really been that easy for batting out there.....theres been plenty of poor bowling(and fielding) from both teams.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
I think it was the one that kept low. I was just trying to point out the inconsistency of Bucknor, though this one may have been a difficult one i don't know. He was a bit dodgy in the india vs pakistan series if i recall correctly.
Very likely a mistake on his behalf - possibly either doing too many drugs or not doing enough.