• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official** New Zealand in England

tooextracool

International Coach
MoxPearl said:
we all know they are not new zealands best bowlers.. yet they are in the game as the 2 strike bowlers.. yet they are bowling like complete crap (just like they did in the first test)
so who should be in there then?the only better bowler seems to be injured and completely out of rhythm anyways. unless you think that mills and butler would have done a better job.
and finally martin learns to pitch it up....you have to wonder what he was doing bowling it short to flintoff at his 78-79 mph pace.

tooextracool

International Coach
im surprised cairns hasnt use that slower ball of his much this series....he caused a great deal of havvock on the last tour with that ball.
btw has anybody noticed tuffey's seam position? seems to bowl with a scrambled seam.

Craig

World Traveller
PY said:
It may 'look' nicer, but he still scored the runs which still shows his potential to be a top-class cricketer.

And if you weren't saying that Australia didn't try then my point still stands. And what relevance does your point mean on the cricket field? If the Aussies were trying then the end of series means nothing.

(Plus this is the first time I've said anything about your posts so 'preciate the sweeping generalisation. :))
Ok I will take back the generalisation comment.

I mean the series was over when Australia won the third Test at Trent Bridge as England only had to gain was to make the final series result look a prettier then a 5-0 series drubbing, and a confidence booster ahead of the tour of India.

It won't 'look nicer' it will be a much better innings had it been enough for England to have kept the series alive by winning the 3rd Test and having a chance of a remarkable comeback by winning at The Oval.

Ask Mark Butcher if it had been 173* to win at Trent Bridge and keep the series alive or 173* at Headingly to save off a a 5-0 Whitewash.

I think I know what his answer might have been.

PY

International Coach
It doesn't make it a nicer innings in a cricketing sense. It would have made it nicer for him because it would made him feel better but he still played those bowlers and he still played those shots and he still got the runs.

Back to topic, first ten overs after lunch will be the key as in if England can get through those and then build towards 450 hopefully and Harmison might well have a field day on this pitch.

As almost always, Flintoff is the key for me. He stays in to the end and we will have lead I reckon.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
so who should be in there then?the only better bowler seems to be injured and completely out of rhythm anyways. unless you think that mills and butler would have done a better job.
and finally martin learns to pitch it up....you have to wonder what he was doing bowling it short to flintoff at his 78-79 mph pace.
Yep mills and butler.. they cant be worse than tuffey and martin lol

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
u can tell we have a slim squad when we have our number1 strike bowler who is INJURED (Bond) on as a replacement fielder lol

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
also.. i think this game is heading for a draw

Edit: **** that england will win.. our bowlers are amazingly bad this game lol

Last edited:

twctopcat

International Regular
England now lead. V.Good effort. Don't know what's happened to the nz attack, lost a bit of balls from the sound of it.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
MoxPearl said:
also.. i think this game is heading for a draw
New Zealand could face a few awkward moments yet - you HOPE it's heading for a draw.

I don't like criticising players EVER because they can do something I never could dream of (fellow posters are fair game, however) but....

I appreciate that the New Zealand attack has been shorn of much of its talent by injury, but what we've been witnessing since lunch is one of the more brainless bowling performances seen at Headingley since, er, England bowled on this track.

To see Cairns trying to bounce Flintoff and Jones out is quite, quite nonsensical. On the rare occasion that the ball is presented in the batsman's half, there's awful problems, edges, knuckles rapped and what field is there?

A slip, no short leg, 'spread out lads'. Oh - and Ashley Vettori. Top captaincy this is not.

Edit..... I notice yoiu'd changed your mind about the result - I'm still edging toward a draw myself but the pendulum's swinging.

twctopcat

International Regular
luckyeddie said:
New Zealand could face a few awkward moments yet - you HOPE it's heading for a draw.

I don't like criticising players EVER because they can do something I never could dream of (fellow posters are fair game, however) but....

I appreciate that the New Zealand attack has been shorn of much of its talent by injury, but what we've been witnessing since lunch is one of the more brainless bowling performances seen at Headingley since, er, England bowled on this track.

To see Cairns trying to bounce Flintoff and Jones out is quite, quite nonsensical. On the rare occasion that the ball is presented in the batsman's half, there's awful problems, edges, knuckles rapped and what field is there?

A slip, no short leg, 'spread out lads'. Oh - and Ashley Vettori. Top captaincy this is not.

Edit..... I notice yoiu'd changed your mind about the result - I'm still edging toward a draw myself but the pendulum's swinging.
Just what i've been thinking. Where's this Fleming masterclass i've been waiting to see?
As for Jones and Flintoff, i hope to see them for many years to come.

tooextracool

International Coach
why is this NZ side so very defensive?? ive been disappointed with fleming's captaincy this series..... defensive fields for his strike bowlers with the new ball and then no short leg or silly point for vettori bowling over the wicket. are they actually trying to get england out or waiting for them to make a mistake?
on the other hand its been a very mature innings from flintoff today, his shot selection has been brilliant and hes let the good balls go and put away the bad ball. hopefully we see more innings like these from him in the future instead of some of those sarwan terminating innings

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
i think its pretty obvious flemming is playing for a draw.. sad but true

as a NZ supporter this is so annoying to watch.. our bowlers are simply bowling stupid stupd stupid balls.. but judging by the way veto is bowling i think its kinda obvious they are playing for a draw sadly..

I HOPE for the 3rd test the selectors make some major changes.. our batting is fine.. so leave it as it is.. our bowling attack needs drastic changing in my opinion..

The commentators are going on about flemming losing his crown as the best captain in the world.. no way hes not.. hes doing the best he can with this amazingly poor bowling attack..

I dont think i have seen the nz bowlers bowl this bad for a long time

And also the commentators are going on about bond not being there and flemming cant handle it without bond.. but we thrashed south africa without bond..

Tom Halsey

International Coach
MoxPearl said:
The commentators are going on about flemming losing his crown as the best captain in the world.. no way hes not.. hes doing the best he can with this amazingly poor bowling attack....
He has been way too defensove IMO.

Vettori over the wicket? Tuffey bowling with no slips? Give me a break.

tooextracool

International Coach
MoxPearl said:
And also the commentators are going on about bond not being there and flemming cant handle it without bond.. but we thrashed south africa without bond..
largely due to a bowler who seems to like bowling against SA.

martin vs SA in 00-01 = 26.00
martin vs SA in 03-04 = 16.67

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
Tom Halsey said:
He has been way too defensove IMO.

Vettori over the wicket? Tuffey bowling with no slips? Give me a break.
Well if u read my post i said playing for a draw cause his bowlers are so bad..

Last time i checked u are suppose to play defence if u looking for a draw ?

Hey i dont like it anymore than u do.. but our bowlers are simply NOT preforming.. there aint much he can do

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
largely due to a bowler who seems to like bowling against SA.

martin vs SA in 00-01 = 26.00
martin vs SA in 03-04 = 16.67
They won the games not just cause of him man lol