• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Woodster

International Captain
Wouldn't be happy at that TBH. Jones has never been a good one-day bowler - the white balls swing less than the red ones, doubly so given some of the absurd rules we've currently got in the OD game, and his accuracy (lack thereof) costs far more.

Can see being picked in ODIs "to ease him back into it" doing what it so often does when players are picked "to give him a taste" (or similar) and making a good long-form player look poor because he's not good at the short-form stuff.
But he does offer a genuine wicket-taking threat, something that cannot be overlooked in the short form. I don't think he's a bad one-day player and believe he can prove that with Worcester this season, thus deserving his place in the national side.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To still win despite a number of players being out of form is still satisfying despite it not being in the dominating and attacking style we are hoping this England side can display. Good sides have the ability to win ugly, yet I do hope that we win the final Test with the kind of performance Vaughan and co have been promising for a while.
You know, the reason NZ have kept on par and outplayed some of the time us this series is actually because of lack of attack. Too many of our bowlers - Anderson and Broad to the fore - are too "attacking" bowlers and not good enough at the defensive side. Now, of course, neither are master attackers either. Whereas Simon Jones in 2005 was - it didn't matter about his waywardness, a magic ball was always just around the corner.

But still, our best bowler in 2005 (the last 4 Tests anyway) was Flintoff, with both attack and defence. Our bowlers have to be equally good at both, and that's why I'll always worry with the likes of Anderson in the side.

Woodster

International Captain
You're only allowed to play good cricket in the next series you play. :p

Big bullies *sulks*
:laugh:

We're going to have to play good cricket in our next series as, with all due respect to NZ, I can't see SA being as forgiving in similar situations as we have found ourselves in against NZ.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But he does offer a genuine wicket-taking threat, something that cannot be overlooked in the short form. I don't think he's a bad one-day player and believe he can prove that with Worcester this season, thus deserving his place in the national side.
As I say though - without the swing (be it conventional or reverse) Jones isn't much of a wicket-taking threat. He's never taken many wickets in one-day cricket (added to his awful economy-rate).

If we want wicket-taking OD bowlers we'd go for the likes of Graham Napier and AP Davies. We seem, though, to prefer bowlers we think look like wicket-takers, or who take wickets in Tests, but actually don't in the one-day game. :mellow:

Woodster

International Captain
You know, the reason NZ have kept on par and outplayed some of the time us this series is actually because of lack of attack. Too many of our bowlers - Anderson and Broad to the fore - are too "attacking" bowlers and not good enough at the defensive side. Now, of course, neither are master attackers either. Whereas Simon Jones in 2005 was - it didn't matter about his waywardness, a magic ball was always just around the corner.

But still, our best bowler in 2005 (the last 4 Tests anyway) was Flintoff, with both attack and defence. Our bowlers have to be equally good at both, and that's why I'll always worry with the likes of Anderson in the side.
When I talk of our attacking intent, I am meaning mainly with the bat. Of course there needs to be a great degree of control with the ball, and as you say, Flintoff offers both, can produce a tight spell of bowling while also being a wicket-taking threat. He is though a world class bowler.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
To still win despite a number of players being out of form is still satisfying despite it not being in the dominating and attacking style we are hoping this England side can display. Good sides have the ability to win ugly, yet I do hope that we win the final Test with the kind of performance Vaughan and co have been promising for a while.
Good sides do (see Australia yesterday) but we win test matches ugly, period. We haven’t played good test cricket for a while and that’s not because certain players have been out of form for eighteen months but the fact that they are not particularly very good.

Woodster

International Captain
As I say though - without the swing (be it conventional or reverse) Jones isn't much of a wicket-taking threat. He's never taken many wickets in one-day cricket (added to his awful economy-rate).

If we want wicket-taking OD bowlers we'd go for the likes of Graham Napier and AP Davies. We seem, though, to prefer bowlers we think look like wicket-takers, or who take wickets in Tests, but actually don't in the one-day game. :mellow:
Naturally if he can generate any swing it will benefit his bowling but he offers more than that, genuine pace and control. His figures in the FP Trophy so far this year read : 32-4-140-9 which isn't to be scoffed at. He may well prove he can repeat such figures at the top level yet.

Woodster

International Captain
Good sides do (see Australia yesterday) but we win test matches ugly, period. We haven’t played good test cricket for a while and that’s not because certain players have been out of form for eighteen months but the fact that they are not particularly very good.
I agree we haven't consistently produced the level of cricket that I think this group of players can achieve. I disagree that they are not particularly very good, but we are missing vital elements that can take our game consistently to that level.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, sorry, won't ever agree that Bell isn't particularly good. And certainly not Pietersen. And they're the only ones who've performed (relatively) poorly for a while now. Strauss was, and he's now apparently managed to completely turn things around. Bell's problems are different - absent-mindedness rather than an obvious flawed area of the game - but I have always believed him capable of, eventually, making the neccessary adjustments. Pietersen simply needs something to click, and maybe if he hadn't run himself out that might've happened yesterday.

Ambrose needs to score some runs soon else we'll be asking the same questions of him as we did Geraint and all the rest post-Stewart. Sidebottom bowled pretty averagely last Test but I think he's entitled one bad game before we start moaning at him too much. Anderson and Broad aren't Test-class and I doubt Anderson ever will be. Collingwood I've never rated much. But everyone else who has played in the just-concluded Test I'm more than confident could play a part for at least the next year or two.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Naturally if he can generate any swing it will benefit his bowling but he offers more than that, genuine pace and control. His figures in the FP Trophy so far this year read : 32-4-140-9 which isn't to be scoffed at. He may well prove he can repeat such figures at the top level yet.
You know, I actually didn't realise he'd done quite that well, the only thing I'd taken much note of was the 5-for he took against Glamorgan (think it was them). All the same, it's just a handful of games, and with the ridiculous Pro40 nonsense, which is next to no use for preparing players for ODIs, virtually all that's left one-day wise in this season I'm not really sure I'm keen on the prospect of him playing ODIs this winter.

Woodster

International Captain
You know, I actually didn't realise he'd done quite that well, the only thing I'd taken much note of was the 5-for he took against Glamorgan (think it was them). All the same, it's just a handful of games, and with the ridiculous Pro40 nonsense, which is next to no use for preparing players for ODIs, virtually all that's left one-day wise in this season I'm not really sure I'm keen on the prospect of him playing ODIs this winter.
Yes sure it is only a handful of games and not enough to completely judge a player but it does perhaps indicate his one-day performances are heading in the right direction.
The Pro40 is a ridiculous tournament and sadly chances to impress in 50 over cricket are limited, but if Worcester are to progress to the latter stages (albeit not very likely) then maybe an eye-catching performance or two may catapult him back into the frame for later in the year.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Peak? If it wasn’t for New Zealand batting like complete idiots, England would have deservedly lost the test match to the team who played the better cricket and the likes of Anderson, Bell or Collingwood would have presumably and rightfully been dropped. The win is merely papering over the cracks and if this very side comes up against anyone who is relatively ‘good’ (and experienced in winning test matches) they will duly gets beaten.
Agree re cracks being papered over, however (and it's not just you saying this) can't agree that the side that played the better cricket lost. Cricket is a game of two innings, and as poor as we were in the 1st, we made up for it in the 2nd. Much like a football match where a team is 2 or 3 nil down at half-time but comes back to win.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Something I think it's important to point-out is that several of the cracks that this demolition-job+run-chase did indeed paper over are not neccessarily a bad thing.

If you paper over a crack which will later be pollyfilla-ed, that's all well and good. I'm more than confident Ian Bell and Kevin Pietersen will hit form again at some point, they're too good not to. Likewise I'm hopeful that Flintoff will return in place of one of Anderson and Broad and Hoggard in place of the other.

This will leave a side with few cracks. Papering over cracks which will eventually inevitably result in fissures is not a good thing. But doing it to cracks which can be fixed certainly is.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Daniel Flynn: an apology

Obviously having an eye tooth broken off at the root doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but part of me can't help be a little disappointed he didn't suck it up in the second innings with his team badly in the mire.
Seems he did want to bat in the 2nd dig according to David Hopps in The Guardian. I obviously therefore apologise for any slight on his character that may have been inferred from my previous post.

I guess the question now is should he have been allowed to or were NZ correct to "protect" him from himself?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Flintoff out of ODIs

No great surprise. We've been here before haven't we? :(

With Flintoff I think we can, nay will, beat South Africa. WIthout him....

Without you
In our side
We slowly wilt and die
But with you in the whites
We'll bowl 'em out for 95

:ph34r: ANyone who knows the song that I've just changed wins a prize