• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
A 2nd innings collapse by the Black Caps in England?

Never saw that one coming......
Don't know why people thought the Blackcaps had the edge going into yesterday. couldn't see it myself. Still i was bitterly disappointed to open my computer this morning to find that the Blackcaps had stolen defeat from the jaws of victory.

And on the other side of the world the Aussies had stolen victory from the jaws of defeat.

The more things change, the more things stay the same

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Not sure on Marshall. I want him gone forever but (unfortunately) he's earnt his place this time around so he should get at least 3 tests, a fair chance.
Tbf, other people should've been ahead of him. I think the selectors have an unhealthy obsession with the Marshalls.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
pretty sure the ECB are more likely to be asking questions if we were picking Cork ahead of Mahmood tbh.
Yep, sadly.
Also you should actually try finding out some facts before you spout your mouth off, Crok has been out injured most of the season, coming back for one CC game, where he got injured again. So tbf Lancs haven't picked Mahmood ahead of him for a single game.
That previous post wasn't entirely serious really. But yeah, I might've done well to check whether or not my favourite player was injured.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
Well done to England though, fantastic comeback.

You know how teams insist on psychologists now, I must say ours sucks with regards to this second innings problem. And yes I have spent the day thinking of someone to blame that actualy has a fair case against them, its part of NZ sporting society after all. :p

If it is Gilbert Enoka I'd be surprised, the team loved him. He was then stolen by the All Blacks.

Just to fast forward to the one dayers a bit, I think we'll crush them :p. Two innings is easy, its there last two that are the issue.

Plus we get some experience back and all the retirements were staggered a bit more.

Our psychologist is a guy by the name of Gary Hermansson, he is from Palmerston North and has been with the team since Gilbert Enoka was stolen. The 2nd innings collapse was a problem during Enoka's time as well.
Maybe with a change in personnel with Braces going we could get a new psychologist or realise that we don't need one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I honestly don't think a sports psychologist can really be expected to help-out on the matter of second-innings collapses.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
I honestly don't think a sports psychologist can really be expected to help-out on the matter of second-innings collapses.
I think the Blackcaps aren't used to winning. Very different mindset from what i can see with the Aussies - they back themselves to win always.

Perhaps the Blackcaps think they are dreaming when they get into the sort of position they were in the other day.

Success breeds success - the Blackcaps haven't had enough of that to feel confident to finish the job.

No amount of sports psychologists can fix that. Perhaps having a better coach might help

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm just watching the highlights - why can people not see that Kyle Mills has a suspect action?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Psychologists are for cop outs. If you're a professional sportsman who can't back himself to win, I'd suggest you aren't in the right career.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm just watching the highlights - why can people not see that Kyle Mills has a suspect action?
Tbf, I think most people do.
It's really, really odd - Mills' action has always looked bad. But I've never thought much of it - I don't tend to, really. I'm kind of the opposite of Fiery who'd start screaming chucker at every bowler whose arm looked vaguely questionable.

I don't even know whether his elbow has ever been examined TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Psychologists are for cop outs. If you're a professional sportsman who can't back himself to win, I'd suggest you aren't in the right career.
True, but if a psychologist can help a copout who'd otherwise waste his skill, why not?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think the Blackcaps aren't used to winning. Very different mindset from what i can see with the Aussies - they back themselves to win always.

Perhaps the Blackcaps think they are dreaming when they get into the sort of position they were in the other day.

Success breeds success - the Blackcaps haven't had enough of that to feel confident to finish the job.

No amount of sports psychologists can fix that. Perhaps having a better coach might help
I don't think you can always put second-innings falling-in-a-heaps down to being crushed by the burden of being in a poised-for-victory position, though. Consider, as an example, the game at The 'Gabba in 2004/05 - this was a collapse knowing all was lost and not even bothering to delay the inevitable.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
How averaging 36.90 since his recall to the test team (all of his runs being against England).

Will wait until we play someone else before getting too enthused about him. See Matthew Bell.

Woodster

International Captain
How averaging 36.90 since his recall to the test team (all of his runs being against England).

Will wait until we play someone else before getting too enthused about him. See Matthew Bell.
Having not seen a huge amount of him prior to the recent series in New Zealand I had an open mind in terms of what he brought to a Test team and I can say that I think he has been impressive in a fairly fragile top order.

He is obviously eager to get onto his front foot (which unless he has the abililty to adapt to conditions and opposing bowlers, he may find tougher times ahead) and displays good technique. He looks very solid in defence and is quick on anything loose. I think you are right to be encouraged by his recent performances that suggest he has the potential to remain at the top for a good while yet.

Flem274*

123/5
Haha I love it when people take me seriously. Ftr I don't blame the psychologist at all. The problem is, as someone said, most our lads simply haven't been taught how to win at First Class level. Most of them have come from CD, ND and Otago. All three have struggled in FC cricket furing the period the younger team members played in (apart from NDs State Championship a couple of seasons ago which only Marshall was a part of. Flynn wasn't established at that stage). I mean, Flynn and Marshall spent most of last year trying to rebuild from 2 down for very little (sound familliar?). Southee was an 18/19 year old trying to bowl sides out for under 40 which is about NDs average score these days (deja vu). The CD lads have no bowlers bar Mason thanks to Oram being away, injury and general direness so our batting line up generally watches its large total go down the ****er (more deja vu). Otago struggle a bit in FC cricket due to Canterbury nicking all the best bats bar Broom, who returned. Same with McCullum, who is away on international duty anyway.

Martin and Mills know how to win but they're out of form. Vettori can't be expected to win matches every day on non turners.

So in essence, all the issues in the Black Caps, all their littel quirks that stop them from being a test success are factors in FC cricket.

EDIT: Would like it to be known this is a theoretical rant. However I'm confident, as ever, that I'm right. :p

On Jesse Ryder not touring England: Good descision. Can't bring him in too early fro mthat kind of injury. He may be mad but we can't risk such a talent.

Last edited: