• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I am talking in general here,not just this match. I wouldnt really be too worried (although not overly excited) by having Anderson and Sidebottom averaging 26 and 23 respectively during this series, at a pretty decent srike rate. Broad, well I can see that there is something there, most definately, and I think he is worth a place right at the moment, given the situation with other players injured or not performing.. The wickets will come, I dont think it means he is bowling badly
However good Broad might one day be (and equally he might not) he is certainly not very good currently and should not be in the Test team at the current time. It's madness, and it's seriously jeopardising our chances. If he continues to bowl as he's currently bowling, wickets won't come. That isn't terribly likely, but until it happens he shouldn't be playing.

There's no point talking generally BTW - MSP won't be as effective most of the time as he was in this game, because most pitches in this country don't turn this much. This was his big chance, and while he ended-up playing a massive part in victory, had he done better in the first-innings he might never have needed to turn the game on its head in the second.
who, Caddick? Cork?
Apart from Hoggard and Tremlett - yes, those two probably are better than him. I'd prefer Caddick to be picked right now were Caddick fit.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lancs are prepared to trade Cork to the ECB for Strauss.
Lancs should have to answer the The ECB as to why they've picked Sajid Mahmood ahead of Cork several times this season, really.

Insult to the game of cricket to see such a woeful bowler picked ahead of such class.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
well he is firing blanks then, because he hasnt played this year has he? (apart from a few overs vs a University or something, when he got injured).
Well, yeah, obvisously said injury is why he hasn't played again since.

He is obviously considerably better than PS Jones, Peter Trego and Ben Phillips.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh my god, which bunch of complete and utter morons gave that average performance man of the match?

He took 1-101 in the first innings which helped virtually put England out of the game before NZ batted like a Geraint Jones lowlights reel in their second.

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.
:laugh:

Swervy

International Captain
Lancs should have to answer the The ECB as to why they've picked Sajid Mahmood ahead of Cork several times this season, really.

Insult to the game of cricket to see such a woeful bowler picked ahead of such class.
rubbish!

Mahmood is not as bad a bowler as you would love to think, nor is Cork 'such class' as you love to fantasize about.

As a Lancashire supporter, I don't have many worries about Saj getting picked over Cork

steds

Hall of Fame Member

Giving all the other counties a chance. We've been running a "nearly men" facade for years to prevent County cricket going the way of Premiership football, with a team from Manchester winning every single bloody year. Would just get downright boring. County crowds would plummet from double figures into single. It would be a disaster for the sport.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
On a turning pitch (like this) yeah. An excellent one in fact. On most others in this country, not really, though. He's only a fingerspinner.
With an average of 26.59 in England, he clearly has a method all around the country.

GGG

State Captain
Redmonds is looking like the failure that myself and many others thought he would be, can't see his average ever improving above 20 at this level TBH, as for Marshall, well who honestly thought he was up to international standards. Whats the bet that as soon as a new coach comes in Fultons fits in perfectly at 3 and his form improves. Well done England, the great thing about test matches is the better team wins.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
With an average of 26.59 in England, he clearly has a method all around the country.
That's not true, though, is it? It just says that when he's been good he's been sensational. Here's MSP's Tests in England:
vs SL, Lord's, 2006 - 2-49, nothing particularly special but respectable.
vs SL, Edgbaston, 2006 - 3-80, likewise.
vs SL, Trent Bridge, 2006 - 5-81, excellent use of a turning pitch.
vs Pak, Lord's, 2006 - 2-153, totally ineffective.
vs Pak, Old Trafford, 2006 - 8-93, excellent use of a turning pitch.
vs Pak, Headingley, 2006 - 6-166, good figures, but flattering, consisting of just 2 notable wickets, Taufeeq Umar and Younis Khan. The others (Inzamam falling on his stumps, Sami and Kaneria, Inzamam stumped when slogging at the end of the game) weren't remotely good bowling and simply being in the right place at the right time.
vs Pak, The Oval, 2006 - 1-103, totally ineffective.
vs WI, Lord's, 2007 - 6-142, good figures, but most of this consisted of batsmen simply missing straight balls. Only due to the sheer woefulness of (and injury to) the seamers that he even bowled much, too.
vs WI, Headingley, 2007 - 1-21, just 7 overs, neither here nor there. The 1 wicket was the penultimate one of the match.
vs WI, Old Trafford, 2007 - 10-187, excellent use of a turning pitch.
vs WI, Riverside, 2007 - 6-80, actually honestly not sure what happened here as I was too busy to watch this game and being so irrelevant didn't really bother to catch-up.
vs Ind, Lord's, 2007 - 2-85, ineffective.
vs Ind, Trent Bridge, 2007 - 4-101, actually ineffective, figures bumped-up by the last 2 wickets of the innings.
vs Ind, The Oval, 2007 - 2-217, totally ineffective.
vs NZ, Lord's, 2008 - 2-86, ineffective.
vs NZ, Old Trafford, 2008 - 7-138, excellent use of a turning pitch.

So you see, he's been excellent on the turners (3 out of 4 of which were at Old Trafford), mostly ineffective on the non-turners (6, plus 3 others where he's been respectable), and has had the odd game (Lord's 2007, Headingley 2006) where circumstances have conspired in his favour. And there's 1 out of 16 where I don't really know what happened.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
rubbish!

Mahmood is not as bad a bowler as you would love to think, nor is Cork 'such class' as you love to fantasize about.
The Cork comment was fairly obviously tongue-in-cheek, hence the choice of words. And yes, Mahmood is a truly woeful bowler, one of the worst I've ever seen at the professional level, many other people say this too, and why would I actually want to think him worse than he was? Would it make the pain of losing in 2006/07 slightly better if I thought him worse than he was?
As a Lancashire supporter, I don't have many worries about Saj getting picked over Cork
So? Some England supporters don't have many worries about Broad and Anderson being picked ahead of Hoggard, but that doesn't mean they're better bowlers.

stumpski

International Captain
Oh my god, which bunch of complete and utter morons gave that average performance man of the match?

He took 1-101 in the first innings which helped virtually put England out of the game before NZ batted like a Geraint Jones lowlights reel in their second.

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

Yeah, would have given it to Taylor myself - but the convention that the MoM has to come from the winning side tends to be fairly strictly adhered to. Monty seems a modest chap and I think he would admit that his 2nd innings figures flattered him somewhat.