• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Flem274*

123/5
It still turned on day 4. It just seemed to have flattened out. There was none of the uneven bounce seen on day 3 and the batsmen seemed to have alot more time to play their shots.
Ok then. The commentators on the radio seemed quite surprised at the lack of turn though so I took their word as gospel.:ph34r:

As I said though, if we're going to rely on Vettori (which I'm sure long term we won't, the strike bowlers will regain their form) then we shall look forward to some big scores posted against us. I'm confident the seamers will step up though, they've been the bright spot all summer.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Here’s hoping Bell and Collingwood are released back to domestic cricket before the next test, both players look so out of touch. Thank **** for Strauss’s knock for these two had about five or more lives between them just attempting to do the simple task of scoring fifty odd runs against a dejected attack.

Flem274*

123/5
Strauss's turnaround has been amazing. England travelling towards their peak at the right time perhaps?

Anyone reckon Jones (S) will play for England this year? Miss him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Strauss's turnaround has been amazing. England travelling towards their peak at the right time perhaps?
Strauss has evidently finally figured-out his game again, for the first time since the summer of 2005.
It's certainly looking a hell of a lot more likely now than it was 3 weeks ago. Though admittedly the change from "about as much chance as Marc returning to CW" to "pretty unlikely" isn't all that big a deal.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Here’s hoping Bell and Collingwood are released back to domestic cricket before the next test, both players look so out of touch. Thank **** for Strauss’s knock for these two had about five or more lives between them just attempting to do the simple task of scoring fifty odd runs against a dejected attack.
Was only one each TBF, but yeah, the minute Pietersen ran himself out I started to worry again, having thought no more than "oh well, shame he couldn't manage the n\o" upon Strauss' dismissal.

Had Collingwood been given lbw AND Bell been caught by O'Brien, that might well have been very, very interesting indeed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ok then. The commentators on the radio seemed quite surprised at the lack of turn though so I took their word as gospel.:ph34r:
I was surprised that it didn't turn more, but it did turn, and Strauss and Vaughan (especially) played very well. The real big sea-change was that the pitch, as Bennett said, flattened-out completely. Almost all the uneven bounce disappeared. This meant the seamers went from very useful to pretty innocuous, and Vettori certainly didn't bowl as well as might've been hoped.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Strauss has evidently finally figured-out his game again, for the first time since the summer of 2005.

It's certainly looking a hell of a lot more likely now than it was 3 weeks ago. Though admittedly the change from "about as much chance as Marc returning to CW" to "pretty unlikely" isn't all that big a deal.
There was a great piece on him in the Sunday Times. He says he is not expecting to be picked this summer, but hopes he can prove throughout the season that he still deserves a place. here's hoping.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Strauss's turnaround has been amazing. England travelling towards their peak at the right time perhaps?Anyone reckon Jones (S) will play for England this year? Miss him.
Peak? If it wasn’t for New Zealand batting like complete idiots, England would have deservedly lost the test match to the team who played the better cricket and the likes of Anderson, Bell or Collingwood would have presumably and rightfully been dropped. The win is merely papering over the cracks and if this very side comes up against anyone who is relatively ‘good’ (and experienced in winning test matches) they will duly gets beaten.

Woodster

International Captain

Having seen Jones bowl a six over spell last week at high pace and excellent accuracy I was certainly optimistic of his chances of a recall sometime this year. Of course there is a bigger picture, he needs a continuous run of games getting plenty of overs in his legs and prove that he can bowl a few spells a day at good pace with the necessary control.
If he manages to get through the next few months with no further injuries then maybe a one-day international may be his best bet to begin with.

Flem274*

123/5
Peak? If it wasn’t for New Zealand batting like complete idiots, England would have deservedly lost the test match to the team who played the better cricket and the likes of Anderson, Bell or Collingwood would have presumably and rightfully been dropped. The win is merely papering over the cracks and if this very side comes up against anyone who is relatively ‘good’ (and experienced in winning test matches) they will duly gets beaten.
Thats why I said Travelling. Certainly they'd get destroyed if they played the Ashes now. Coming back from nowheresville though took some good cricket, not just shocking cricket from a learning team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not if Bell, Sidebottom and Pietersen up their game like we know they're more than capable of.

Yes, it'd be helpful to get rid of Broad, Anderson and Collingwood, but if Flintoff can be returned to the side, maybe Shah elevated and Hoggard reinstated, then things are indeed going in the right direction. Which, after all, is all Phlegm said - didn't say "maybe they're peaking now".

Woodster

International Captain
To still win despite a number of players being out of form is still satisfying despite it not being in the dominating and attacking style we are hoping this England side can display. Good sides have the ability to win ugly, yet I do hope that we win the final Test with the kind of performance Vaughan and co have been promising for a while.

Flem274*

123/5
To still win despite a number of players being out of form is still satisfying despite it not being in the dominating and attacking style we are hoping this England side can display. Good sides have the ability to win ugly, yet I do hope that we win the final Test with the kind of performance Vaughan and co have been promising for a while.
You're only allowed to play good cricket in the next series you play. :p

Big bullies *sulks*

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Having seen Jones bowl a six over spell last week at high pace and excellent accuracy I was certainly optimistic of his chances of a recall sometime this year. Of course there is a bigger picture, he needs a continuous run of games getting plenty of overs in his legs and prove that he can bowl a few spells a day at good pace with the necessary control.
If he manages to get through the next few months with no further injuries then maybe a one-day international may be his best bet to begin with.
Wouldn't be happy at that TBH. Jones has never been a good one-day bowler - the white balls swing less than the red ones, doubly so given some of the absurd rules we've currently got in the OD game, and his accuracy (lack thereof) costs far more.

Can see being picked in ODIs "to ease him back into it" doing what it so often does when players are picked "to give him a taste" (or similar) and making a good long-form player look poor because he's not good at the short-form stuff.