• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

FBU

International Debutant
I really don't think Anderson's failure to bowl the lines and lengths Jacob Oram sends down game after game is due to a failure of mindset and bowling plans.

Anderson simply isn't as good as Oram at hitting the spot he's aiming at. Anywhere near.

Nor, in fact, is he (or Broad) as good as Martin, Mills or - in this match - even O'Brien. Nor is he ever likely to be, TBH.
Well Vettori didn't have much faith in Mills in the series so far.

Mills 37.3 overs 3 wickets at 38.33 econ 3.06 s/r 75.0
Martin 55.0 overs 3 wickets at 50.66 econ 2.76 s/r 110.0
Anderson 67.3 overs 10 wickets at 26.90 econ 3.98 s/r 40.5

Anderson might be expensive but he has a better strike rate than any of the bowlers on both sides in the series.

Our batsmen should be good enough to chase those extra runs. They certainly need the practice. Anyway Anderson isn't always going to be expensive.

Last edited:

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
But he does offer a genuine wicket-taking threat, something that cannot be overlooked in the short form. I don't think he's a bad one-day player and believe he can prove that with Worcester this season, thus deserving his place in the national side.
Still talking about Jones are we?

Honestly, its coming up to three years now, so it is getting rather tiresome. The guy is unreliable, not only has he been out of international cricket for nigh on 3 years, have you looked at the blokes domestic stats? Not the averages, strike rates or economy rate, but his games? The poor bloke just hasn't played much cricket at all. There was talk that he was a possible liability for Worcester, let alone an international team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well Vettori didn't have much faith in Mills in the series so far.

Mills 37.3 overs 3 wickets at 38.33 econ 3.06 s/r 75.0
Martin 55.0 overs 3 wickets at 50.66 econ 2.76 s/r 110.0
Anderson 67.3 overs 10 wickets at 26.90 econ 3.98 s/r 40.5

Anderson might be expensive but he has a better strike rate than any of the bowlers on both sides in the series.

Our batsmen should be good enough to chase those extra runs. They certainly need the practice. Anyway Anderson isn't always going to be expensive.
Yet again, though, from his opening spell of the series (which was good) onwards they've almost all come from poor batting rather than good bowling. At Old Trafford, How's wicket was a good ball but then he was simply gifted the last 3 to turn 1-101 into 4-118. At Lord's, his first spell fetched 9-23-3 then in the rest of the game he took 30-107-2, 1 of which was a gift at the end of the match.

Anderson's series figures flatter him.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still talking about Jones are we?

Honestly, its coming up to three years now, so it is getting rather tiresome. The guy is unreliable, not only has he been out of international cricket for nigh on 3 years, have you looked at the blokes domestic stats? Not the averages, strike rates or economy rate, but his games? The poor bloke just hasn't played much cricket at all. There was talk that he was a possible liability for Worcester, let alone an international team.
There's no question that he's played well in limited opportunities for Worcestershire this season. And I think they've handled him well, without playing him too often. But almost everytime he's played (in either form of the game) he has bowled well. Still way too early (and rather desperate) to talk about him in terms of international cricket, but he's made a promising start on his latest recovery path. I, for one, am following it with great interest.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BTW, I wonder if there's any likelihood Kyle Mills might be dropped for the Third Test? He's been awful so far, and while Trent Bridge generally tends to be a swinging ground, so does Lord's, and I can barely remember him swinging a single delivery there.

Michael Mason really should feel very sore if he doesn't get a single Test.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Actually, I hope Southee comes in for the next game. Having chosen him so young I think its best to persevere with him. I dont think dropping him (assuming hes fit) will help the situation,

On another note. Chris Martin seems to have bowled well in both the series in New Zealand, and so far in England but just doesnt seem to pick up wickets. Ive always felt watching Martin that when he got a wicket it was always a bit of a surprise.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At Lord's I think he looked very likely to take wickets though. Was just a bit unlucky. And unlike Mills and Southee right now, I think he's more capable of building pressure. Without Bond in the side, New Zealand has no bowler who consistently looks like picking up wickets, from what I've seen. And Martin seems the best of the rest right now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not without justification, obviously - having the tail we sometimes had in the winter (Sidebottom, MSP and three from four of Hoggard, Harmison and Anderson) is no laughing matter.

But yes, it does get a little frustrating to see the likes of Plunkett picked ahead of Sidebottom.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, people actually do think Broad is currently a good enough bowler to be playing Tests.
Disagree, if Broad couldn’t bat I very much doubt he would be in the test side. Almost on every occasion when the England set-up discusses Broad they always harbour on about his added value with the bat and how that is so important in balancing the side, with the question of his actual bowling been a mere afterthought.