• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nnanden said:
What does that mean? As a team, as indivduals, Australia aren`t doing enough. Clarke, Hussey and McGrath are the only three really to look at/near their best.
The point is these last 3 games are the sort of games Australia of a couple of years ago would have snatched away with some player putting their hand up (in the way England's Test team has over the past 18 months). I don't think there's much between Australia and England, if the close games are going to go to England (for the first time in decades against Australia) then Australia are going to lose frequently this summer.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
shaka said:
Hayden has put in a few good scores over the four games so far, so dont discount him.
I`m only talking bout the two real matches, and Hayden hasn`t looked quite solid as yet. But fair enough, I`m sure a big score is coming. :)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Scaly piscine said:
The point is these last 3 games are the sort of games Australia of a couple of years ago would have snatched away with some player putting their hand up (in the way England's Test team has over the past 18 months). I don't think there's much between Australia and England, if the close games are going to go to England (for the first time in decades against Australia) then Australia are going to lose frequently this summer.
Cool magool. Indeed, English individuals have put their hands up more often thus far. And I believe it`s time for Ponting and Lee to put theirs up. :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
howardj said:
Oh for God's sake, you're a troll.
First time I've ever been called that.

As it stands there is no space in the team for him, regardless of anything he's done in the past - he wasn't considered good enough a month ago, and since then his FC form hasn't been too good.

As for the bizarre suggestions about Trescothick being dropped - well, bizarre is an understatement.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Why is it that you write off players like Hogg and Vettori for their FC and test records respectively, but not Jones and Giles for their comparable records?
I've never written Vettori off, just said that IMO he's the equal of Giles and nothing more.

As for Hogg and Jones' FC records, they're not comparable at all. The Jones bit only came in because I wondered on what basis in the Natwest, should he be dropped.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Vettori IMO is above Giles. But I wouldn`t put it past Giles to make me eat pie over the next few months. :D

shaka

International Regular
Vettori has 6 five wicket bags out of a total of 12 against Australia and an improved batting average of 25 against Australia, compared with Vettori's overal average of 22. This is some info on Vettori v the number1 ranked team in world cricket

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
I said Symonds OR Lee. Also we don't know what form Lee is going to be in, he also is less likely to succeed relatively speaking in English conditions than most other conditions.
What makes you say that? If anything, given how heavily Lee relies on swing, I'd think English conditions would suit him fairly well. Of course, he had a poor time of it last time, but I don't think that had much to do with the conditions.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Australia have been out of form though - this team is more than capable of playing better than it has in the first two games this tour, and when they do you're more likely to see people putting their hands up. Also, of course, Australia and England have only played one ODI, and I doubt even you would claim it was anything but a very close thing. If Pietersen had been run out by Ponting's throw for example, Australia would almost certainly have won. It was an even match that was won by England at the end due to a fantastic individual effort. I agree that England and Australia are much closer than they have been, but I'll wait a couple more games before I try and apply any of the results to find some sort of standard for the summer, unless you think Gillespie's going to be bowling 11 ball overs the whole way through and so on.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
shaka said:
What was the highest speed that Gillespie got to in the game against England?
Around 85 or 86 I think. Certainly not his quickest.

When Gillespie these days is at his best he bowls around 140 kph or a touch over it on effort balls up to about 142 or 143 (87 to 89 mph).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
The odds for Ponting not ending the (Ashes) series as captain have been cut from 33-1 to 12-1

Link here.
Unless Australia get whitewashed or something, his job isn't in danger at all. Australia haven't sacked a captain in a long, long time. Was Bill Lawry in 1969 the last time?

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
Unless Australia get whitewashed or something, his job isn't in danger at all. Australia haven't sacked a captain in a long, long time. Was Bill Lawry in 1969 the last time?
Officially. Unofficially Steve Waugh 2004.

Scaly piscine

FaaipDeOiad said:
What makes you say that? If anything, given how heavily Lee relies on swing, I'd think English conditions would suit him fairly well. Of course, he had a poor time of it last time, but I don't think that had much to do with the conditions.
I just think a few pitches in England tend to nullify the effect of pace, or you get the odd one where extra pace actually comes on to the bat better. Of course I'd hope now that Australia have a load of medium pacers and Brett Lee that most pitches would have a bit more in them for the quicks. I suppose the unusually warm weather will have an effect as well.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
I just think a few pitches in England tend to nullify the effect of pace, or you get the odd one where extra pace actually comes on to the bat better. Of course I'd hope now that Australia have a load of medium pacers and Brett Lee that most pitches would have a bit more in them for the quicks.
I must say, it's kind of funny to here England fans dismissing McGrath and Gillespie as "medium pacers", given how completely they have dominated England in the past when McGrath was bowling the same pace he is now, and Gillespie in 2002/03 was the same pace he will be on this tour once he gets his form abotu right, averaging in the 85-86 sort of range. McGrath has always bowled 85 and below, and he's averaged 18 in England in the process.

Anyway, if the wickets are slow and flat, you might be right about Lee. I doubt McGrath will mind though, and Harmison and Flintoff probably will. If there's swing about and Lee gets it right, he could be quite dangerous I think.

andyc

Nnanden said:
I`m only talking bout the two real matches, and Hayden hasn`t looked quite solid as yet. But fair enough, I`m sure a big score is coming. :)
i'm expecting some nice big partnerships with langer in the ahses. my loins are already quivering in anticipation

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hayden has looked in pretty good touch to me. Not only has he hit a century, an 80 odd retired and a 70 odd in a 20 over game in the tour matches, but in the ODI against England he was just getting going when he got out to what was, in all fairness, pretty much a freak dismissal. He hit it in the air and everything, but he struck what was a pretty poor delivery very nicely, and Collingwood took a blinder. I don't think his form is a concern right now, I'm more worried about Ponting and Gilchrist really. Martyn, Symonds, Clarke and Hussey have all looked fine.

The concerns right now are the batting form of Ponting and Gilchrist, the bowling form of Gillespie and Kasprowicz, and definately the fielding. I think though that a decent score is around the corner, hopefully on Thursday.