• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Unless Australia get whitewashed or something, his job isn't in danger at all. Australia haven't sacked a captain in a long, long time. Was Bill Lawry in 1969 the last time?
Kim Hughes, he may have retired, but im sure he got pushed.

Also in ODIs they sacked Taylor and Steve Waugh after Australia missed out on the VB/CUB Finals

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
Kim Hughes, he may have retired, but im sure he got pushed.

Also in ODIs they sacked Taylor and Steve Waugh after Australia missed out on the VB/CUB Finals
They dropped them from the side, they didn't sack them... and they certainly aren't going to drop Ponting from anything, so if he wasn't retained as captain he would have to be removed from the job without actually being dropped, and I think the last time that happened was with Lawry after South Africa thrashed Australia, when Ian Chappell was appointed captain in his place and Lawry retired immediately afterwards.

I think the last Australian captain to continue playing in a side that he no longer captained is Greg Chappell, but I don't know if he voluntarily stepped down from the captaincy or if he was sacked. Either way, he was Australian test captain for part of his career, but at the end of his career Kim Hughes had the job.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
They dropped them from the side, they didn't sack them... and they certainly aren't going to drop Ponting from anything, so if he wasn't retained as captain he would have to be removed from the job without actually being dropped, and I think the last time that happened was with Lawry after South Africa thrashed Australia, when Ian Chappell was appointed captain in his place and Lawry retired immediately afterwards.

I think the last Australian captain to continue playing in a side that he no longer captained is Greg Chappell, but I don't know if he voluntarily stepped down from the captaincy or if he was sacked. Either way, he was Australian test captain for part of his career, but at the end of his career Kim Hughes had the job.
Bill Lawry from what i read didn't get sacked after the South Africa series as he captained Australia for 5 Tests against England and then got injured for the last Test and retired.

Greg Chappell also didn't get sacked or dropped he retired the captaincy before his last Australia summer, so Kim Hughes could take over.

Kim Hughes is that only Australian captain to get dropped/quit the captaincy and play in the Australian Team after. He played two Tests under Border before retiring completely.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
Greg Chappell also didn't get sacked or dropped he retired the captaincy before his last Australia summer, so Kim Hughes could take over.

Kim Hughes is that only Australian captain to get dropped/quit the captaincy and play in the Australian Team after. He played two Tests under Border before retiring completely.
As you said though, Greg Chappell also resigned the captaincy and then went on to keep playing. Hughes wasn't sacked, he had an infamous moment on television where he burst into tears after being flogged by the West Indies and resigned the captaincy.

Examples of being sacked from captaincy are, say, Shaun Pollock, Ian Botham and Brian Lara... I can't find any instance at all of that sort of thing happening in Australian cricket actually. I always thought Lawry was sacked following Australia's shocking effort in South Africa, a general extended decline in the team and a very poor Ashes series, before Chappell lead the Australian team back to the top in his amazing stint as skipper, but he never played any tests post-captaincy. Never heard about the injury and retirement before, but you could be right.

Excluding him, I can't think of anyone at all. Obviously the futher back you go into cricket the less it happened, and I'm fairly sure if it didn't happen to Lawry, Greg Chappell or Hughes it's never happened to any of the post-war Australian captains, they have either handed over the captaincy when they retired, or voluntarily done it beforehand.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
Unless Australia get whitewashed or something, his job isn't in danger at all. Australia haven't sacked a captain in a long, long time. Was Bill Lawry in 1969 the last time?
Funny, whenever I saw the pics of Kim Hughes having a blub I'd always thought he'd been given the ar$e too.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Funny, whenever I saw the pics of Kim Hughes having a blub I'd always thought he'd been given the ar$e too.
Just had a bit of a look for news articles and the like. Pretty certain that he resigned, but he did so in the face of a fair bit of public pressure and media bashing, but of course Mark Taylor and Steve Waugh both suffered the same during their batting slumps, particularly Mark.

Cricinfo says:
Identified with the cause of the Board by former Packer signatories, Hughes was only suffered by them as a skipper, and his tearful resignation at Brisbane in December 1984 after only four victories in 28 matches was one of that office's sorriest spectacles.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Excluding him, I can't think of anyone at all. Obviously the futher back you go into cricket the less it happened, and I'm fairly sure if it didn't happen to Lawry, Greg Chappell or Hughes it's never happened to any of the post-war Australian captains, they have either handed over the captaincy when they retired, or voluntarily done it beforehand.
Ian Craig? Ian Johnson?

And I dare say one or two captains have been told that they wouldn't be being picked for the next series and have decided to hang up their boots rather than have it obvious they'd been dropped - Australian captains traditionally being decided on after the XII have been selected.

Cheers

Mike

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
badgerhair said:
Ian Craig? Ian Johnson?

And I dare say one or two captains have been told that they wouldn't be being picked for the next series and have decided to hang up their boots rather than have it obvious they'd been dropped - Australian captains traditionally being decided on after the XII have been selected.

Cheers

Mike
Yeah, I'm thinking more of instances where a player has remained in the team and been stripped of their captaincy though, since the issue is about the likelyhood of that happening to Ponting. Obviously Ponting is only 30 and one of the best batsmen in the world based on the last few years so he's never going to get dropped, so the only way he would not be captain would be if he resigned or had it taken from him. Johnson retired before the captaincy was taken from him... Craig was just dropped, I guess, and never played a match post-captaincy.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
Just had a bit of a look for news articles and the like. Pretty certain that he resigned, but he did so in the face of a fair bit of public pressure and media bashing, but of course Mark Taylor and Steve Waugh both suffered the same during their batting slumps, particularly Mark.

Cricinfo says:
Identified with the cause of the Board by former Packer signatories, Hughes was only suffered by them as a skipper, and his tearful resignation at Brisbane in December 1984 after only four victories in 28 matches was one of that office's sorriest spectacles.
I'm sure you're right, it's just my assumption all these years has been wrong! Crying somehow doesn't fit the stereotype of l'homme Australis! :D

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
The one and only time I think that as an Englishman, I will ever literally be overjoyed to see an Australian score a century, Edgbaston '97.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
The one and only time I think that as an Englishman, I will ever literally be overjoyed to see an Australian score a century, Edgbaston '97.
Yeah. That was one of the greatest cricketing moments I have ever witnessed, I think. Anyway, you won the game, so you've got nothing to complain about. :p

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah. That was one of the greatest cricketing moments I have ever witnessed, I think. Anyway, you won the game, so you've got nothing to complain about. :p
Seeing as I seriously started to support England in earnest was when Border's team arrived in '89, I do sincerely feel I have quite a bit to complain about :D what a barren, almost fruitless 16 years it has been. What was it he said? " I have the team here to beat England" if memory serves and they've never looked back.

My how time flies...

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Just had a look at the Taylor Test (as I am now calling it, sorry Nasser) and one M A Butcher made his debut that match. Also interesting (well to me anyway, I'm bored) was the bowling line-up for Aus:

McGrath
Gillespie
Warne
Kasprowicz

The feckers are still going!!!

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Vaughan is often malinged, yet he continues to be scoring good runs.
without the consistency. not to mention that most of the times he does get runs he does it too slowly, and goes about hampering the side.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pedro Delgado said:
Actually, I'd quite like to see Pigeon get one.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
without the consistency. not to mention that most of the times he does get runs he does it too slowly, and goes about hampering the side.
I'd say the consistency is what he is getting - and yes, he may strike at 65-70, but he anchors the innings, and when there's hitters like Flintoff and Pietersen as well as Trescothick, an anchor is useful.

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie said:
Long term i would go for Anderson, he has proved throughout his ODI career to be a very wicket taking bowler with a SR of 32, but has been expensve at times. Seeing Lewis being attacked today illustrated the point i made after the 20/20 game that on good batting surfaces he wont be so effective.
you think lewis wont be effective on good batting surfaces and anderson will, despite the fact that hes been clobbered almost every time hes played on one?