• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
It will strengthen England, but not as much as Symonds and Lee. Lee is one of the best ODI bowlers in the world in his own right, and given how woefully out of form two of Australia's other pacers are, it should certainly make a significant difference. Symonds is of course a touch out of form himself recently, but when in good touch he can be as devastating as Flintoff or Pietersen or Gilchrist anyone else going around.

If England have any sense they will get rid of Solanki as well though, and play 5 bowlers, which is their best chance of beating Australia again.
I said Symonds OR Lee. Also we don't know what form Lee is going to be in, he also is less likely to succeed relatively speaking in English conditions than most other conditions.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
age_master said:
i certainly hope they bring Giles back, i reakon tha Australian batsmen will find him easier to hit, even easier than Lewis ;)
Same way you played him so well in the Champions Trophy?

In all seriousness, I see the return of Ashley (which crucially gives us balance in the number 8 slot and gives us 50 overs from genuine bowlers - still not convinced about Lewis on decks where there's no movement and he can be hit through the line) as equal to the return of Lee (extra dimension to the bowling attack) or Symonds (talisman etc)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Having Giles back will indeed help England, but it`ll do nothing in comparison to the return of Lee. I just don`t understand some people. I don`t like some players yet I can accept that they`re good. It`s obvious you don`t like Brett, but give the guy a break. Hopefully his injury hasn`t done anything.

And Australia`s 'attack' almost got you out. Well done.

Mister Wright

Nnanden said:
Having Giles back will indeed help England, but it`ll do nothing in comparison to the return of Lee. I just don`t understand some people. I don`t like some players yet I can accept that they`re good. It`s obvious you don`t like Brett, but give the guy a break. Hopefully his injury hasn`t done anything.

What about the players you like yet you can't except they're bad?....Nathan Bracken anyone? :p

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
still not convinced about Lewis on decks where there's no movement and he can be hit through the line
With you on that one, Neil - bring in Tremlett the monster. How tall is he again? 6ft 9in or something like that, surely he could get bounce out of any surface. The Aussies have shown they have problems with Harmison, another bowler with his style might be what we need instead of Lewis, who looks less and less dangerous every time I see him.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Indeed, a line-up of

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Collingwood
Flintoff
Pietersen
Jones
Giles
Tremlett
Gough
Harmison

looks un-beatable. Pick a fault. I`d prefer Read as `keeper mind.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Jones's keeping hasn't looked that good to me, and we haven't really seen them bowl of field undre pressure yet, the less experienced players might not go so well.

on that how good is Goughie looking these days :D

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Mister Wright said:
What about the players you like yet you can't except they're bad?....Nathan Bracken anyone? :p
Hahah. Nah, he is good, but on other players I see your point, even if it`s a joke. I have a problem with liking quality players, I`m a huge under-dog man.

Scaly piscine

Nnanden said:

Two genuine wicket-taking deliveries, a slightly unlucky play-on, a daft play-on, two caught in the deep, a stupid run-out. You were lucky to get as much as help as you did from England, a good team batting performance would have produced something like the CT cakewalk.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Nnanden said:
Indeed, a line-up of

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Collingwood
Flintoff
Pietersen
Jones
Giles
Tremlett
Gough
Harmison

looks un-beatable. Pick a fault. I`d prefer Read as `keeper mind.

Whether or not you're taking the ****... 8-)

Tremlett is un-capped as-yet so must reserve judgment, is it true he can bat a little? Looks a good side and bats a long way down. Eminently beatable though, as are all teams in the OD format.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Scaly piscine said:
Two genuine wicket-taking deliveries, a slightly unlucky play-on, a daft play-on, two caught in the deep, a stupid run-out. You were lucky to get as much as help as you did from England, a good team batting performance would have produced something like the CT cakewalk.
Hahah... do you realise you`ve just pointed out England`s problems? ENGLAND`S PROBLEMS?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Pedro Delgado said:

Tremlett is un-capped as-yet so must reserve judgment, is it true he can bat a little? Looks a good side and bats a long way down. Eminently beatable though, as are all teams in the OD format.
Nah, I`m being serious. It looks a bloody strong team.

Scaly piscine

Pedro Delgado said:

Stats-wise he looks decent for a number 9.

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Scaly piscine said:
Oh, and Australia's performances haven't helped England OR Bangladesh one iota on this tour. 8-)

shaka

International Regular
The last time I saw an over lasting more than 10 balls (Gillespie's opening over), was Daryl Tuffey and it might have been against Australia or Sri Lanka

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
shaka said:
The last time I saw an over lasting more than 10 balls (Gillespie's opening over), was Daryl Tuffey and it might have been against Australia or Sri Lanka
Haha, probably Australia.

Scaly piscine

LongHopCassidy said:
Oh, and Australia's performances haven't helped England OR Bangladesh one iota on this tour. 8-)
It has been individuals that have beaten them in the last 3 games, not teams as such outplaying them. Usually a team with supposedly so many world class players would scrape through those type of games with their own individual brilliance from somewhere.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Scaly piscine said:
It has been individuals that have beaten them in the last 3 games, not teams as such outplaying them. Usually a team with supposedly so many world class players would scrape through those type of games with their own individual brilliance from somewhere.
What does that mean? As a team, as indivduals, Australia aren`t doing enough. Clarke, Hussey and McGrath are the only three really to look at/near their best.