• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
There's no doubt in my mind that Ponting isn't the best captain available for Australia - he's probably about third. Adam Gilchrist and Shane Warne would both make much better captains, on a purely performance level. However, Warne has a couple of years in him at the most and only plays one form of the game, and Gilchrist is already talking of retirement. Hayden, Langer, Martyn, McGrath etc are all in the same 32-33+ boat. Ponting is the best option Australia have for a long-term captain, and there's no reason that he can't improve with time. It's not like captaincy skills can't be learned.
I was a big fan of Ponting as captain as I liked the way he made bold decisions to turn a match (plus the fact he's a Tassie boy). He could turn the match without having a direct influence, with a bowling/fielding change, taking big risks etc - which is something Steve Waugh rarely did, as he used to lead by example, which he got away with as his example was quite good.

But now its being proved that it was more Darren Lehmann's advice helping him out, and not as much of him as it seemed. And hes also living in NSW so i don't like him as much.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tassietiger said:
He could turn the match without having a direct influence, with a bowling/fielding change, taking big risks etc - which is something Steve Waugh rarely did, as he used to lead by example, which he got away with as his example was quite good.

But now its being proved that it was more Darren Lehmann's advice helping him out, and not as much of him as it seemed. And hes also living in NSW so i don't like him as much.
I actually think Waugh took way more "big risks" than Ponting does, and Ponting is actually a very conservative and reactive captain in many respects, which is one of his downfalls.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Ricky Ponting? Brian Lara? :p
Ponting's the last man any team 20-3 would need right now! :D

I just meant for sheer dependability and the experience to recover from a crisis, there's none more well-versed in the art than Thorpey. I wasn't saying he's the best batsman in the world! :blink:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Ponting's the last man any team 20-3 would need right now! :D

I just meant for sheer dependability and the experience to recover from a crisis, there's none more well-versed in the art than Thorpey. I wasn't saying he's the best batsman in the world! :blink:
:D

There's no better in England, certainly, and I agree he should be in the Ashes side.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Word has it that Andrew Symonds is going through a tough time after his marriage with his childhood sweetheart whom he married last year ended after only 4 months. They'd been together before they were married for 14 years.

This is not official and just what I heard from someone and could be a reason for his late night, rather than it just being a night on the drink. Something I think HowardJ and others should take into account before they start jumping to conclussions.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
As far as Warne goes...I don't think he has any excuses...
Given how dubious the claim is, I doubt he needs any really. I have no doubt he's a sleazebag at heart, but I don't think the Australian team would come together and ask as one for the girl to keep quiet as she claimed.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
Given how dubious the claim is, I doubt he needs any really. I have no doubt he's a sleazebag at heart, but I don't think the Australian team would come together and ask as one for the girl to keep quiet as she claimed.
Even still, I wouldn't put it past the man. A man who thinks its a good idea to bat in the nets without gloves, surely is stupid enough to do something like this. Besides, Simone is apparently very unhappy about this and the marriage is on the rocks.

If it isn't true, why hasn't Kevin Pietersen come out and denied anything happened?

Scaly piscine

Looks like Giles is coming back for England, he will strengthen the side quite a lot as the pressure will hopefully be on from all directions now when England bowl. I think Giles returning will be more helpful to England than Lee or Symonds returning for Australia.

howardj

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
Word has it that Andrew Symonds is going through a tough time after his marriage with his childhood sweetheart whom he married last year ended after only 4 months. They'd been together before they were married for 14 years.

This is not official and just what I heard from someone and could be a reason for his late night, rather than it just being a night on the drink. Something I think HowardJ and others should take into account before they start jumping to conclussions.
I did take that into account. Their relationship breaking up last year is well known. The team should not suffer for it though- just like when Slater was going through the same thing.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Scaly piscine said:
Looks like Giles is coming back for England, he will strengthen the side quite a lot as the pressure will hopefully be on from all directions now when England bowl. I think Giles returning will be more helpful to England than Lee or Symonds returning for Australia.
Please explain?

Mister Wright

howardj said:
I did take that into account. Their relationship breaking up last year is well known. The team should not suffer for it though- just like when Slater was going through the same thing. The players are the most well pampered team ever, with access to psychologists and all sorts of professionals.
And they're human. :-O

Being sent home after one night on the drink with an otherwise impecible (sp) record is very harsh. 2 games is substantial.

If like Slater, it is a continual disruption to the team then he will not only be sent home, but more than likely dropped like Slater was.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:

i certainly hope they bring Giles back, i reakon tha Australian batsmen will find him easier to hit, even easier than Lewis ;)

Scaly piscine

Mister Wright said:
Please explain?
England will now have 5 front-line bowlers as opposed to 4 which can and hopefully will be a big difference and that is without having to compromise the batting at all really (Giles is just as likely to score runs as Solanki at number 8). Anyway Giles is a massive improvement on Solanki overall, I don't think Symonds or Lee are going to be as much as an improvement on whoever they replace.

howardj

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
And they're human. :-O

Being sent home after one night on the drink with an otherwise impecible (sp) record is very harsh. 2 games is substantial.
As widely quoted on the news, it's not his first offence. Furthermore, you're only speculating on the reason for his binge. Finally, there are degrees of offences - this one is unprofessionalism from central casting.

Scaly piscine

age_master said:
i certainly hope they bring Giles back, i reakon tha Australian batsmen will find him easier to hit, even easier than Lewis ;)
I doubt it, Giles' ER is similar to that of Gough and Flintoff and he's obviously improved of late, unlike certain Australians, well unlike pretty much all of the Australian 'attack' really...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
It will strengthen England, but not as much as Symonds and Lee. Lee is one of the best ODI bowlers in the world in his own right, and given how woefully out of form two of Australia's other pacers are, it should certainly make a significant difference. Symonds is of course a touch out of form himself recently, but when in good touch he can be as devastating as Flintoff or Pietersen or Gilchrist anyone else going around.

If England have any sense they will get rid of Solanki as well though, and play 5 bowlers, which is their best chance of beating Australia again.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:

Lee ODI: Batting average 17 SR 82 - 186 wickets @ 22

Symonds ODI: Batting average 35 SR 90 - 87 wickets at 36

Giles ODI: Batting 17 SR 66 - 52 wickets @ 34

yeah he bats like Brett Lee and Bowls like Symonds :D