• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Collingwood gone, Gillespie finally gets his wicket. Bloody hell this is poor stuff. Come on Geraint.
Maybe we'll do better in the beer match. Can't see this lasting long now.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I feel a bit sorry for Kasper, but unless Gillespie's absolutely hammered from here, I think he's done enough for the selectors that he'll keep his test place - which will likely mean Kasprowicz is out.

Interestingly, although it couldn't be argued that Dizzy hasn't bowled a LOT better than he has been, the English bats didn't go after him in the slightest today. Well, good for him, that drop off Vaughan probably WAS hitting rock bottom - Kasper would have been pretty dirty on him at the time though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He dropped it off McGrath's bowling actually. It was Gilchrist that dropped Strauss off Kaspa's bowling.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Great stuff Gillespie, he's been bowling a good line for most of his spell, good to see him finally get a wicket. :)

Hussey must surely be one of the best outfielders in the world atm, no? I've barely seen him do anything wrong out there at all throughout the Natwest Series/Challenge.

England really have to take a gamble to win this game now, even if that means: a) subbing Solanki for Giles if they lose another wicket before the 40th over; and b) opening the bowling with Harmison, or possibly Flintoff. Can't see Gough being effective at all with the new ball on this pitch, but I'm sure he'll prove me wrong.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
wpdavid said:
When you look at the performances of our batsmen and opening bowlers, is quite extraordianary that we've not been stuffed out of sight in every game.
Shows you how good some of the other players have been.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Adamc said:
Great stuff Gillespie, he's been bowling a good line for most of his spell, good to see him finally get a wicket. :)

Hussey must surely be one of the best outfielders in the world atm, no? I've barely seen him do anything wrong out there at all throughout the Natwest Series/Challenge.

England really have to take a gamble to win this game now, even if that means: a) subbing Solanki for Giles if they lose another wicket before the 40th over; and b) opening the bowling with Harmison, or possibly Flintoff. Can't see Gough being effective at all with the new ball on this pitch, but I'm sure he'll prove me wrong.
I'd be amazed if he does. You could argue a case for replacing Gough with Solanki with Harmison opening the attack. It's pretty desperate stuff, either way. Yet again.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Come in supersub - England send in Solanki. Now would be a good time for him to prove his ability. KP needs to stay there all the way now.

Scaly piscine

That's two wickets off a virtual long-hop to third man. Don't tell me that's good bowling, it's just absolutely p*ss poor batting.

shaka

International Regular
Gillespie had to do well after that silly drop early in the innings, and he has returned with 2 wickets. Brilliant stuff Jason

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
wpdavid said:
I'd be amazed if he does. You could argue a case for replacing Gough with Solanki with Harmison opening the attack. It's pretty desperate stuff, either way. Yet again.
Aye, that makes more sense than replacing Giles, didn't think of that. :) Especially considering Giles' batting will probably be needed anyway. Wouldn't like to be the one delivering the news to Gough that he's going to be subbed though...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
They now don't know who Solanki has replaced - Simon Jones is the name announced over the PA. He'll be disappointed not to do anything today!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Interestingly, although it couldn't be argued that Dizzy hasn't bowled a LOT better than he has been, the English bats didn't go after him in the slightest today.
Actually, I would argue exactly that. From ball one today Gillespie has looked much, much better. I think part of it is the bouncier track, Gillespie loved to hit the pitch had and get the ball up well above stump height without going short, and he hasn't been able to do that on the slowish wickets he's bowled on so far. With the ball doing that for him, suddenly his line and length improved massively, and he really hasn't bowled more than a couple of bad balls today, where before he was bowling them a couple of times an over.

Scaly piscine

I wish England would do away with the Gough Preservation Society. At least there's over 18 months to get rid the large amount of dead weight in the England ODI side.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
shaka said:
Well Jones is the likely candidate seeing as he is the teams number 11.
And the fact that he's not wearing his England jersey anymore. Must be a rather annoying position to be in.