• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
I never said Vaughan should have contemplated NOT taking the Powerplay!!

I only meant that Australia's strong start has meant that because of the Powerplay rules, England could be in even more danger later on. England have suffered because of their own bad bowling, and the new rules have only exacerbated things.
OK

(Walks away whistling before anyone thinks I got something wrong)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Did anyone notice in the last replay that Harmisson was looking down (presumably at the bowling crease) as he comes into bowl?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
About everyone possible (commentators, the channel 7 panel, public sending email and text messages in) have all suggested that the captain being able to select their chosen 11 after the coin toss would be better than the current rules.

I personally am not a fan of the super-sub, I liked seeing McGrath bat. :p But if they're going to use the rule for 10 months, this minor change would be much more beneficial.

Mister Wright

Jono said:
About everyone possible (commentators, the channel 7 panel, public sending email and text messages in) have all suggested that the captain being able to select their chosen 11 after the coin toss would be better than the current rules.

I personally am not a fan of the super-sub, I liked seeing McGrath bat. :p But if they're going to use the rule for 10 months, this minor change would be much more beneficial.
Yeah, I agree. However Botham is suggesting that you select your sub after the toss, I think the best way is select your 12, then name the sub after the toss.

If we want to make the games more interesting, the teams should name 12 players, then the opposing captain chooses a player they don't want to play.

PY

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
If we want to make the games more interesting, the teams should name 12 players, then the opposing captain chooses a player they don't want to play.
Surely, Freddie and Symonds/Ponting/Gilchrist would never get a game then? Or were you taking the mickey? Sorru if you were.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
You could do it like the card game, "Hearts", and pass three players to the captain to the left of you.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Cricinfo said:
Second Powerplay is over now, Vaughan opts not to take the third
Powerplay
- Giles is back into the attack, defensive field in
place
just four men inside the circle now
Eh? I thought there was only 2 powerplays.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
Yeah, I agree. However Botham is suggesting that you select your sub after the toss, I think the best way is select your 12, then name the sub after the toss.

I LOVE the idea of the over restrictions (better to call them 'Powerless Plays') but the sub rule should be sunk forever. It's pathetic and will only mean that more and more games will be decided by the toss (note: that's NOT what I'm saying here before, er, anyone chips in with his unwanted 2c).

Extend it - have the fielding side choose one to suit them, and the batting side choose one to suit them.

Alternatively, make the option be that you can elect to choose a supersub OR elect to have the powerplay options, but not both.

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Katich gone. Door open for England now if they're good enough.
This will be an extremely good test of England's mental strength and character with the ball - they've proven they can recover with the bat last Saturday, now they need to prove they can defend a relatively low total under pressure against the best in the world. Game on.

Mister Wright

PY said:
Surely, Freddie and Symonds/Ponting/Gilchrist would never get a game then? Or were you taking the mickey? Sorru if you were.
I was, but I have no doubt it would be interesting.

Imagine the toss:

Bob Willis: So, who have you decided to take out of England's squad today Ricky?

Ponting: We've decided to take Flintoff out today.

Vaughan: (Under his breath) ****!

Bob Willis: And Michael, who will Australia be without today?

Vaughan: We've decided they'll be without Lee, we want Gillespie bowling as many overs as possible.

Ponting: Oh Christ, I'm going to have to bowl Gillespie his full ten!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The Baconator said:
Eh? I thought there was only 2 powerplays.
Cricinfo person seems to be under the impression that 5-10 was a powerplay, and 15-20 was a powerplay. Dunno why.

It's another complicated rule to explain to newcomers, anyway!