• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I like the discussion between Holding and Hussain regarding the rule changes. Both bringing up valid points.

LOL @ Hussain saying make 6s into 10s. :D

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
I like the discussion between Holding and Hussain regarding the rule changes. Both bringing up valid points.

LOL @ Hussain saying make 6s into 10s. :D
yeah i heard, pretty wild suggestion by Nasser :happy:

Slow Love™

International Captain
aussie said:
and why is that???? :huh:
Well, it's an interesting point - I'd like to see Langer in ODI's myself, but it's one of those situations where the selectors have irrevocably decided that he's only ever going to be considered for the one format (and we've seen a few of those that have been a tad frustrating over the years), without taking into account any changes in his game.

It'd probably enhance Hayden's performance at the crease too. (It's a little like Lenny and George in Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men".)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
would be nice to see Ponting get a good 80 plus not out score today, so as to get some confidence. England on the other hand should realise that Gough shouldn't be taking the new ball anymore he has lost that ability, give it to Harmison.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
SirBloody Idiot said:
Because Langer is obviously a better batsman, and to use the excuse about him being a slow scorer, may have been true at an earlier stage, but not now.
first of all their situations are different during the time when Langer wasn't considered in the ODI team it was justifiable because he used to be a slow scorer and their wasn't a place for him, now he is just a bit too old & it wont make sense to pick him & he will only be doing the job for a short period of time.

Its debatable over who is a better batsman.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
How is it debatable over who is a better batsman?

Langer averages more in tests, more in FC matches, just one less in List A.

I'm just saying, I have no idea why Langer isn't played when Hayden isn't either. Why open with Katich, when you have Langer who averages MORE in ODIs?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
SirBloody Idiot said:
How is it debatable over who is a better batsman?

Langer averages more in tests, more in FC matches, just one less in List A.

I'm just saying, I have no idea why Langer isn't played when Hayden isn't either. Why open with Katich, when you have Langer who averages MORE in ODIs?
well his stats are better than Katich at this stage of their careers but katich is more technically correct than him & it wont surprise me if he does have better stats than Langer when he stops playing.

Well one main reason why Langer isn't palying is probably because he isn't in the ODI sqaud.... :happy: and if you are talking about domestic ODI'S Katich averages 39 & Langer 38. :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Because Katich has far more potential in ODIs, and has never done anything wrong?

With Hayden's ODI career on the rocks, Katich, Clarke and Hussey are the primary opening options, and Hodge the other one who could slot into the middle order if Clarke or Hussey go up. Right now I'd probably like to see Clarke open for a while with Hodge in the middle order, but Katich is still a perfectly good choice.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Because Katich has far more potential in ODIs, and has never done anything wrong?

With Hayden's ODI career on the rocks, Katich, Clarke and Hussey are the primary opening options, and Hodge the other one who could slot into the middle order if Clarke or Hussey go up. Right now I'd probably like to see Clarke open for a while with Hodge in the middle order, but Katich is still a perfectly good choice.
i have seen hodge in a few 20/20, Totesport & C&G trophy games at Old Trafford this season and he looks to be an pretty darn good ODI player. For me he may well & get into the ODI side during the Australian season with has u said Matty's ODI career on the rocks for sure.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
well his stats are better than Katich at this stage of their careers but katich is more technically correct than him & it wont surprise me if he does have better stats than Langer when he stops playing.

Well one main reason why Langer isn't palying is probably because he isn't in the ODI sqaud.... :happy: and if you are talking about domestic ODI'S Katich averages 39 & Langer 38. :D
Ask yourself this - would Justin Langer have had the same sort of brainstorm that Simon Katich had when facing Giles?

There is no comparison between the two. One is a world-class batsman who has been at the top for more than a decade, the other is 'Flavour of the Month'.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
There is no comparison between the two. One is a world-class batsman who has been at the top for more than a decade, the other is 'Flavour of the Month'.
Totally, absolutely unfair. Katich is a class batsman with an excellent technique and consistent performance who has never done a thing wrong, and has been totally mistreated by the selectors. If anything, he's the furthest thing from "flavour of the month" around, given that he's the one who gets dropped every time the selectors want to try someone. Symonds hit a few 50s in Sri Lanka in the ODIs, so they dropped Katich who had scored a match-saving hundred in his last test to bring him in. Clarke came in for Ponting in India and was Australia's second best batsman while Lehmann struggled, and when Ponting came back they dropped Katich, the third best batsman of the tour, to let Lehmann back in and retain Clarke.

Having said that, I don't think it's fair to say Katich is a better batsman than Langer yet (obviously), but to deride him as someone who gets favour they don't deserve is ridiculous.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Ask yourself this - would Justin Langer have had the same sort of brainstorm that Simon Katich had when facing Giles?

well these days JL wont play those kind of strokes but he used to. I know thier not much to compare the two by but all i'm saying is that Katich looks like he could become and even better player than JL.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Excellent innings by Ponting, brings up his ton. Finally gets me good runs for my Fantasy Cricket team.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Well, England are getting it back big-time from the Aussies here - everything that was missing from the Aussies' performance on Thursday was missing from England's today. This is a thrashing, and a deserved one for England - Australia played good cricket, England played bad cricket. There you have it. The fact that they are capable of thrashing each other within the space of four days, rather bizarrely, indicates how close these two teams have been so far.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Well, England are getting it back big-time from the Aussies here - everything that was missing from the Aussies' performance on Thursday was missing from England's today. This is a thrashing, and a deserved one for England - Australia played good cricket, England played bad cricket. There you have it. The fact that they are capable of thrashing each other within the space of four days, rather bizarrely, indicates how close these two teams have been so far.
Also shows that limited over cricket is much more unpredictable.