• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love said:
I'd like to see Kasper come in for the last two ODI's - if his performance is anything better than Gillespie's, I'd recommend that Dizzy be the one to be dropped from the attack for the opening test.

Yes, it's a different game, but Gillespie is looking spent and discouraged, and I don't see him turning it around that soon.
ohhhhhhhhh he better had... :@

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Well, that was just a right thumping. No excuses here - regardless of England having the better of the conditions, we were just thoroughly outplayed.

Which leaves us with only one option. We must turn on our own players. I'll start with Gillespie.

Yes, Faaip is right, and both Gillespie and Kasper have been pretty lame both in NZ and in England. So as far as I'm concerned, Lee is dramatically outperforming both and should be included in the first test team. I would be amazed if he's not picked - he deserves it.

However, at this stage, I differ as to who should be dropped. I thought Gillespie was more impotent both in NZ AND on this tour. Kasper hasn't played a whole lot of games in this comp, and apart from the match before this one, I don't think Gillespie's exhibited much improvement whatsoever - and worse, he just looks so thoroughly beaten, and the way Vaughan ripped into him on his return was like a housefly swooping hungrily onto a three-day old turd. I'd like to see Kasper come in for the last two ODI's - if his performance is anything better than Gillespie's, I'd recommend that Dizzy be the one to be dropped from the attack for the opening test.

Yes, it's a different game, but Gillespie is looking spent and discouraged, and I don't see him turning it around that soon.
If Kasprowicz comes in for the final ODIs and the tour matches and plays well, for sure. But the way he's been playing, it's not justified. Gillespie's been bad, but Kasprowicz has been worse.

We'll see how they go. Either way, Lee and McGrath are certainties from here.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
I can feel another quoted for posterity moment coming on.
Why? It's a perfectly reasonable prediction, and it seems somewhat lame to sit and criticise other people's predictions while being unwilling to make one yourself.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Why? It's a perfectly reasonable prediction, and it seems somewhat lame to sit and criticise other people's predictions while being unwilling to make one yourself.
SP doesn't make predictions - he whinges.

Must have bread-stealing ancestors.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well it's rainy and boring here today, so I'm thankful that England has helped brighten it up a bit. Clearly England is the best team in the world and on the way to winning this series 4-0 and the Ashes 7-0.

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie said:
well i thought they may have gone far an all-rounder, but i'm starting to see the logic in his selection.
i cant see the logic of using an all rounder for a sub. if you're going to play an all rounder, you're better off starting off with him, because at least then he gets to contribute for the entire 2 innings.

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
So with Collingwood amongst the wickets (again), isn't it time for TEC to put in an appearance (again) and say that he was lucky (again)?
doubt it, because in todays game and at lords he actually bowled well and provided some well needed accuracy. not to mention that he got the ball to seam and swing a lot more than every one else in the match.
it doesnt change the fact though that his 6 wickets against bangladesh was one of the worst and luckiest 6fer i've ever seen.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
seriously how do you get him out?
i wonder if he'll get drafted into the test side based on his form, i hope not.
I must admit, I've always been a Hussey fan but I'm stunned at just how well he has fitted in to an incredibly unfamiliar role. He's a fairly dour, boundary oriented opening batsman with a propensity for massive scores, and he's doing a brilliant job pushing runs and shepherding the tail in the dying overs in ODIs, batting from 7. He's basically Matthew Hayden doing Michael Bevan's role as well. Simply incredible.

He's got to be thought about along with Clarke for a possible role opening the innings in ODIs if Hayden's poor form continues.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Why?

Just because it's not a 330 plays 320?
presumably because of the number of plays and missed which particularly in the australian innings was a very very large number. the amount of seam movement when it did seam about made it nearly impossible to get an edge.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
I've made plenty of comments on how I think England and WI will be the biggest threat to Australia in the world cup, I also said England were perfectly capable of winning 4 of the 7 ODIs against Australia. I don't come out with scorelines cos they're pure guesswork.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
superkingdave said:
Aye we'll not read too much into the result but its interesting the way the two bowling attacks work, England let the opposition get off to a good start then Harmison and Flintoff *usually* come on and put the breaks on. Australia rely on Mcgrath and Lee to get early wickets. Hmm combine the two, slip in Murali and you have a damn fine ODI bowling line up
But a long tail ;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And I see I'm up to 6th in the Fantasy Cricket.

Must be good when you look at your side and cannot make a single change based on the side you've got in :D

The only one I may look at is Symonds or Flintoff - which one would you lot pick?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
I've made plenty of comments on how I think England and WI will be the biggest threat to Australia in the world cup, I also said England were perfectly capable of winning 4 of the 7 ODIs against Australia. I don't come out with scorelines cos they're pure guesswork.
Have to say, when we won the 1st ODI this summer, I thought to myself that we'd do well for it to finish 5-2 over the 7.

It's 2-1 with a tie and a NR, so I think we've done extremely well considering the fact that our ODI side isn't one of the best.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
I must admit, I've always been a Hussey fan but I'm stunned at just how well he has fitted in to an incredibly unfamiliar role. He's a fairly dour, boundary oriented opening batsman with a propensity for massive scores, and he's doing a brilliant job pushing runs and shepherding the tail in the dying overs in ODIs, batting from 7. He's basically Matthew Hayden doing Michael Bevan's role as well. Simply incredible.

He's got to be thought about along with Clarke for a possible role opening the innings in ODIs if Hayden's poor form continues.
Your right referring to First Class cricket, but not in relation to One Day Domestic. Hussey has batted regularly down the order, and is very very adept at taking runs off every ball Bevan style. I remember him playing a match for Aus A scoring 40 off 30 balls or so at the end of the innings with only one boundary - just took the proverbial with his ones and twos.

That's what has impressed me so much even before this series - he has made himself into probably the most versatile batsman in Australian cricket who can legitimately bat anywhere from 1 to 7 and not let it affect his game.

social

marc71178 said:
Why?

Just because it's not a 330 plays 320?
Win toss > win match is hardly a good wicket.

But as Nasser Hussain said, if the Aussies keep getting served up poor wickets, then their batsmen will have less chance of running into form.

social

FaaipDeOiad said:
Totally unfair. Honestly, what have you got against Lee? .
Here's 3 hints

1. Gabba

2. Queensland

3. Chairman and founder of Kaspa's fan club

Scaly piscine

social said:
Win toss > win match is hardly a good wicket.

But as Nasser Hussain said, if the Aussies keep getting served up poor wickets, then their batsmen will have less chance of running into form.
Their batsmen have less chance of running into form because they keep throwing their wickets away.