• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
England have just gone past the 'Australia will have no difficulty in defending' what was it? 180?
I hope you're not going to accuse me of making excuses again for mentioning the change in conditions. :p

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Oh please, he has been inconsistent today.
By what standard? 8 overs for 32 as I type, around 10 of those coming from noballs (remembering one no-ball went for 4 byes as well). He's put the vast majority of his balls on the spot. Just because he hasn't taken a wicket and he's gone for 4 an over doesn't mean he's been "inconsistant".

Mister Wright said:
Lee's recent record in test match cricket is not flash.
He hasn't played a test in 18 months.

Mister Wright said:
Kasprowicz has been consistent and part of a formidable and a winning side. He deserves to lose his place due to his own poor performances not from a perspective that another player 'might' do better.
Haven't you been championing the case to drop Gillespie? Both Kasprowicz and Gillespie have been poor on the tour to New Zealand, and poor so far on the tour of England. Explain the difference, aside from the fact that Kasprowicz is from Queensland and Gillespie is not. Both of them have been consistent performers, and both of them are out of form. Gillespie however is more established in the team, and is younger, and has recovered from poor form before (although as time goes by I'm starting to doubt that he will do so again).

Mister Wright said:
You cannot tell me the English batsman haven't looked more comfortable against Lee, knowing they don't have to hit almost every one of his balls for a boundary.
They didn't have to hit him for boundaries at Lords either, and he took two wickets. In fact, England were only chasing 250 in Durham where he was brilliant as well.

The fact is, every observer without fail recognises that Lee has looked in very good touch so far this tour, and has troubled the England top order. He dominated New Zealand and didn't get a run in the test team, and he dominated in the VB series and didn't get a run in the test team. In the VB series it was fair enough, since Kasprowicz was performing. In NZ though, he so clearly had the wood over the NZ top order he should have been picked, and Kasper had a poor tour. Now, Kasprowicz has been absolutely dire this tour, Gillespie almost as bad, and Lee has been excellent. You talk about him being dropped "for his poor performance", but when he performs poorly you ignore it.

There's still two more ODIs and tour matches for Kasprowicz to make his case, but as it stands Lee absolutely deserves selection ahead of him, by any criteria.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lee no-ball smashed to the midwicket boundary by Vaughan. Apt finish... 4 overs to spare with 9 wickets in hand. Yay :)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Well, England can take a lot from this. Their batting really stood up for the first time so far, and Australia have a lot of questions to answer there.

It will be interesting to see how they go should the sunday wicket be a flat one for both teams.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Lee was *as* good today, certainly when he came back in his second and third spells he didn't look threatening

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I hope you're not going to accuse me of making excuses again for mentioning the change in conditions. :p
Not at all - after all, you are now permitted to drink from the staff coffee machine. Consequently, you can now use it liberally to wash down those sour grapes AND humble pie at the same time.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
what a hammering, Jesus... they better get their subs right for the next 2 games and they better had do something to counter this resurgent English side.

The form of Ponting & Dizzy thus far is worrying :mellow:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Not at all - after all, you are now permitted to drink from the staff coffee machine. Consequently, you can now use it liberally to wash down those sour grapes AND humble pie at the same time.
I'll take the humble pie, but not the sour grapes. It's perfectly reasonable looking at Australia's performance in the wash-up to consider the difference in conditions, which was as big a gap as you will ever see between one innings and another. It's not so dire as your average 9 wicket loss, I don't think.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Well, that was just a right thumping. No excuses here - regardless of England having the better of the conditions, we were just thoroughly outplayed.

Which leaves us with only one option. We must turn on our own players. I'll start with Gillespie.

Yes, Faaip is right, and both Gillespie and Kasper have been pretty lame both in NZ and in England. So as far as I'm concerned, Lee is dramatically outperforming both and should be included in the first test team. I would be amazed if he's not picked - he deserves it.

However, at this stage, I differ as to who should be dropped. I thought Gillespie was more impotent both in NZ AND on this tour. Kasper hasn't played a whole lot of games in this comp, and apart from the match before this one, I don't think Gillespie's exhibited much improvement whatsoever - and worse, he just looks so thoroughly beaten, and the way Vaughan ripped into him on his return was like a housefly swooping hungrily onto a three-day old turd. I'd like to see Kasper come in for the last two ODI's - if his performance is anything better than Gillespie's, I'd recommend that Dizzy be the one to be dropped from the attack for the opening test.

Yes, it's a different game, but Gillespie is looking spent and discouraged, and I don't see him turning it around that soon.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
I can feel another quoted for posterity moment coming on.
nahh i'm sure of myself, if the bloody sun didn't come out this afternoon Australia could wel have bowled England out. I hoping for some serious Sunshine at lord's on sunday.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'll take the humble pie, but not the sour grapes. It's perfectly reasonable looking at Australia's performance in the wash-up to consider the difference in conditions, which was as big a gap as you will ever see between one innings and another. It's not so dire as your average 9 wicket loss, I don't think.
Aye we'll not read too much into the result but its interesting the way the two bowling attacks work, England let the opposition get off to a good start then Harmison and Flintoff *usually* come on and put the breaks on. Australia rely on Mcgrath and Lee to get early wickets. Hmm combine the two, slip in Murali and you have a damn fine ODI bowling line up