• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watching Lee today just confirms my suspicions that he will be no 're-born revelation' in test cricket. Without England having to chase a huge total they have just been able to see him off and let him give them some runs with his stray front foot. With the field being a lot more attacking in the tests, he would have gone for a few more. Unless he's firing in yorkers every ball he doesn't look consistently dangerous. He cannot be picked on the basis that he will bowl that one 'jaffer', as we saw against India in Sydney he may bowl 4 'jaffas' but he'll go for 200.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Watching Lee today just confirms my suspicions that he will be no 're-born revelation' in test cricket. Without England having to chase a huge total they have just been able to see him off and let him give them some runs with his stray front foot. With the field being a lot more attacking in the tests, he would have gone for a few more. Unless he's firing in yorkers every ball he doesn't look consistently dangerous. He cannot be picked on the basis that he will bowl that one 'jaffer', as we saw against India in Sydney he may bowl 4 'jaffas' but he'll go for 200.
Totally unfair. Honestly, what have you got against Lee? Yes, he had some no-ball problems, but basically 90% of his deliveries have been on the money today. What more can you ask from a bowler, than he runs in and puts most of his deliveries in the corridor at decent pace? We've seen he can move the ball around, and can trouble the English batsmen. Obviously nobody know show he will go in the test side, but he's clearly a damn sight better than he was 18 months ago as a prospect.

At Sydney he bowled a few good balls, but he also sprayed it all over the place at times. He hasn't done that here at all.

Scaly piscine

Out of curiosity if Hayden takes a catch will it be caught Hayden or caught sub? I imagine it's caught sub but it'll be weird anyway.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scaly piscine said:
Out of curiosity if Hayden takes a catch will it be caught Hayden or caught sub? I imagine it's caught sub but it'll be weird anyway.
I'd guess: c sub (ML Hayden)

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
Totally unfair. Honestly, what have you got against Lee? Yes, he had some no-ball problems, but basically 90% of his deliveries have been on the money today. What more can you ask from a bowler, than he runs in and puts most of his deliveries in the corridor at decent pace? We've seen he can move the ball around, and can trouble the English batsmen. Obviously nobody know show he will go in the test side, but he's clearly a damn sight better than he was 18 months ago as a prospect.

At Sydney he bowled a few good balls, but he also sprayed it all over the place at times. He hasn't done that here at all.
Oh please, he has been inconsistent today. I have nothing against Lee, I think he is a fantastic one day bowler, however, unlike many think ODIs and tests are a different game. Lets look at the facts. Lee's recent record in test match cricket is not flash. His record in England in test match cricket is even worse. Kasprowicz has been consistent and part of a formidable and a winning side. He deserves to lose his place due to his own poor performances not from a perspective that another player 'might' do better.

You cannot tell me the English batsman haven't looked more comfortable against Lee, knowing they don't have to hit almost every one of his balls for a boundary.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slow Love™ said:
Well, it's all looking pretty dire here, and hard to see us working our way back into this one. I wonder if there's any chance of another look at Kasper in the last two games - could be that Gillespie has koala status though.
I thought it was looking good - I looked again and I still did.

As the great Spike Milligan once said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Get it out with Optrex.

Mister Wright

Neil Pickup said:
I'd guess: c sub (ML Hayden)
That is correct. Technically he is playing as a 13th man, not a super-sub. I'd imagine if Hogg caught one it would go down as an official catch as he is now officially taking part in the match.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
Jesus Christ :dry: , is it me or is it a pattern every f**king time Australia look like their getting away from England throughout the summer, they keep striking back.
This England side doesn't lie down...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
yep thats true, bowlers tend to get silly when bowling at Headingly, but when Pigeon gets the ball this afternoon he'll show all how to bowl perfectly on this pitch.
Quoted for posterity ;)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Quoted for posterity ;)
You're a brave man, Marc.

As you said, the England team aren't very good at doing the 'lying down and rolling over' bit, but I'd not count any chickens

<quack> Or ducks

until they've hatched

<quack> One

one what?

<quack> duck

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Well, that balances out the shocker Martyn got away with in the first dig.
Not really, as the Martyn one wasn't at all convincing, the super slowmo showed that.

Trescothick's looked very much gone.

Ah well, who gives a turd, England have it wrapped up anyway.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
What is the wording about the spirit of the game?
How is that against the spirit of the game? Watson was injured, Hayden got subbed out for Hogg, and came on as 12th man for an injured player. Perfectly reasonable.

If you want to talk about the spirit of the game, look at Solanki the "sub without a sub".