• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seems to be set up to be something similar to the Lord's final, probably easier to bowl people out but easier to score on.

social

Much of England's bowling was poor except Collingwood.

If conditions remain the same, Australia should only have to bowl consistent line and length to be very hard to beat.

However, conditions can change dramatically at Headingley when the sun comes out.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Australia would be happy with their score but England have 8 batsmen so it will be an interesting 2nd Half.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
As social says, the sun coming out is a major blow to Australia. It may turn out to be a vitally significant toss for England to win, even though they didn't bowl very well on a minefield. If the sun stays out and the pitch calms down, 220 is not a big total at all. On the pitch Australia played on, it's an excellent score that England would have to play extremely well to match.

I thought Hayden and Gilchrist today were just great, and Martyn and Hussey played very good knocks as well. Collingwood was extremely well suited by the conditions and used them well, and Jones also bowled nicely. Gough and Flintoff were average, and Harmison was downright poor today and his figures flatter his bowling.

Scaly piscine

FaaipDeOiad said:
As social says, the sun coming out is a major blow to Australia. It may turn out to be a vitally significant toss for England to win, even though they didn't bowl very well on a minefield. If the sun stays out and the pitch calms down, 220 is not a big total at all. On the pitch Australia played on, it's an excellent score that England would have to play extremely well to match.

I thought Hayden and Gilchrist today were just great, and Martyn and Hussey played very good knocks as well. Collingwood was extremely well suited by the conditions and used them well, and Jones also bowled nicely. Gough and Flintoff were average, and Harmison was downright poor today and his figures flatter his bowling.
Harmison wasn't particularly worse than Flintoff, the main difference was Harmison bowled his last 2 overs well and Flintoff didn't - which meant Flintoff conceded 24 runs (plus a leg-bye) and Harmison 2 (plus a leg-bye).

Other than that there wasn't much between them.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Harmison wasn't particularly worse than Flintoff, the main difference was Harmison bowled his last 2 overs well and Flintoff didn't - which meant Flintoff conceded 24 runs (plus a leg-bye) and Harmison 2 (plus a leg-bye).
I think he was. Flintoff got pounded at the end by Hussey, but it wasn't due to bad bowling, rather it was excellent batting. Harmison bowled poorly, far too short, constantly bowled wides, drifted on to the pads and generally wasted the conditions. He got one wicket with a ball that would have been a wide if it wasn't hit, and the other with a bouncer which Watson tried to belt out of the ground. Flintoff was far better, imo.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
well i just got home, but following at work it seems that England would have struggled to chase 160, so obviously minimal chance of chasing 220 - rain anyone?

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't watch too closely, but England were generally poor, and Australia got 30-40 more than we should've allowed them to. Hopefully Leeds sees some of the sun that Exeter's got at the moment, or else this isn't going to be close.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
well i just got home, but following at work it seems that England would have struggled to chase 160, so obviously minimal chance of chasing 220 - rain anyone?
Well, the sun came out in Australia's last 10 overs. If it stays out, the pitch could calm down a lot. McGrath will still be dangerous, and Lee will as well of course, but people like Watson and Gillespie not so much if the pitch isn't so hard to bat on.

220 could definately be gettable.

Scaly piscine

FaaipDeOiad said:
I think he was. Flintoff got pounded at the end by Hussey, but it wasn't due to bad bowling, rather it was excellent batting. Harmison bowled poorly, far too short, constantly bowled wides, drifted on to the pads and generally wasted the conditions. He got one wicket with a ball that would have been a wide if it wasn't hit, and the other with a bouncer which Watson tried to belt out of the ground. Flintoff was far better, imo.
Flintoff allowed Hussey to hit boundaries because he didn't get his yorkers right.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
Oh well, it's not too bad. Australia batted on the whole about as well as England bowled. I would have settle for 219 against Australia at the start even at Headingley.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Hussey brilliant once again, can he do no wrong? (No, he cant)
Loving the new rules, cant see the use in Hogg though, still you never know.

Oh and snaps to Martyn :) (dubious exit in my book)

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, Martyn was out then, off the glove, and out before but not given. So stop whining!

And that's a big, big wide/noball thing.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Gloucefan said:
Oh well, it's not too bad. Australia batted on the whole about as well as England bowled. I would have settle for 219 against Australia at the start even at Headingley.
I'm a bit baffled as to how you came to that conclusion, but anyway. Hopefully Australia will be able to keep the extras down, England bowled slightly more than what is acceptable on this pitch (only slightly though). Brett Lee will be interesting to watch early on, not really sure if he will do all that well (hopefully I will be made to eat my words). Gillespie should enjoy this though.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
Adamc said:
I'm a bit baffled as to how you came to that conclusion, but anyway. Hopefully Australia will be able to keep the extras down, England bowled slightly more than what is acceptable on this pitch (only slightly though). Brett Lee will be interesting to watch early on, not really sure if he will do all that well (hopefully I will be made to eat my words). Gillespie should enjoy this though.
Well only Gilchrist, Martyn and Hussey batted well. If England bowled crap and the three were out for under 20 and three under ten they didn't bat too well.

I'm listening on the radio though...

Edit lol My bad. Ignoring the fact Lee not out...

Last edited: