• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
top-edged is what i heard... :)
One was over square leg and the other was a top edge then also in the same over he was caught off a no-ball, that was without doubt the most excting period of the game. :happy:

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie said:
Well assuming that Pietersen has more performances like what he did at Bristol & other equally good performances i'd would agree with that, but if that doesn't happen then Thorpe should stay.
i dont agree with that at all. theres no way thorpe should be dropped for the first ashes test for whatever reason. theres a very very small claim for bell to be dropped for pietersen, and im completely against that move too, irrespective of how well pietersen does in ODIs. i am of course all for the dropping off trescothick, at least for the ashes series, because i'd think that even if he plays at his best, he'd still struggle to average 30 at the end of the series.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
i am of course all for the dropping off trescothick, at least for the ashes series, because i'd think that even if he plays at his best, he'd still struggle to average 30 at the end of the series.
I agree with you totally, but its highly unlikely even close to impossibe for Trescothick to be dropped during the Ashes.

Swervy

International Captain
tooextracool said:
i dont agree with that at all. theres no way thorpe should be dropped for the first ashes test for whatever reason. theres a very very small claim for bell to be dropped for pietersen, and im completely against that move too, irrespective of how well pietersen does in ODIs. i am of course all for the dropping off trescothick, at least for the ashes series, because i'd think that even if he plays at his best, he'd still struggle to average 30 at the end of the series.
and yet the Aussies I beleive have a lot of respect for Trescothick and recognise him as a danger man.

If I was looking at this from the perspective of an England supporter, right now, I might be inclined to give Thorpe a go in the first test and also play Bell. If he fails...adios Thorpey, time to get KP in...

Swervy

International Captain
aussie said:
I agree with you totally, but its highly unlikely even close to impossibe for Trescothick to be dropped during the Ashes.
yeah..there is absolutely no way Trescothick is getting dropped

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie said:
no unfortunately there isnt, because fletcher & and the selectors believes that tresco is the perfect team player and therefore unlimited amounts of abysmalness and inconsistency with the bat wont result in his axing.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
no unfortunately there isnt, because fletcher & and the selectors believes that tresco is the perfect team player and therefore unlimited amounts of abysmalness and inconsistency with the bat wont result in his axing.
yep...has was shown in the caribbean last year

Swervy

International Captain
tooextracool said:
mmm..a touch of exaggeration going on here.

Trescothick IS a match winner, who happens to be in top form at the moment.
In the last year..not including B'desh games, he is averaging nigh on 50, and has hit 5 100's (again not including his masscre of B'desh)

fair enough he can be vunerable early on, but then again some of the greats have been (no I am not say he is a great by the way), but if he gets through the intial say 10 overs, he can set England up for the entire test...and for England to WIN tests vs Australia, that is what is needed

Swervy

International Captain
aussie said:
yep...has was shown in the caribbean last year
but the key is that he has bounced back..all batsmen have rough spells, and with Tresco his footwork will always mean that when he is failing, he looks doubly bad

tooextracool

International Coach
Swervy said:
mmm..a touch of exaggeration going on here.
really? he's had plenty of miserable series in the past, vs aus 02/03, vs SL & WI 03/04. trust me trescothick wouldnt be dropped if he gets as exposed as he was the last time he played in the ashes.

Swervy said:
Trescothick IS a match winner, who happens to be in top form at the moment.
In the last year..not including B'desh games, he is averaging nigh on 50, and has hit 5 100's (again not including his masscre of B'desh)

fair enough he can be vunerable early on, but then again some of the greats have been (no I am not say he is a great by the way), but if he gets through the intial say 10 overs, he can set England up for the entire test...and for England to WIN tests vs Australia, that is what is needed
hes a match winner on what are generally flat tracks and poor bowlers
personally i'd think a better option would be to bat tresco at 6, because it would at least shield him from mcgrath and gillespie and the new ball.
and the biggest problem with tresco, is that no matter what he does he'll never be consistent, because of his awful footwork. if hes down on confidence at the start of a series, its impossible for him to score after that, unless he comes across a very very flat track- antigua or the oval, where he can regain his confidence.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
Right - because when he comes up against a quality pace attack, he just can't handle it.

Fancy that - only averaging 52 against South Africa - who TEC said would sort him out.

TEC to come back with selective statistics that would be a credit to Richard in 5....4....3....

Sylvester

State Captain
Finally Symonds is producing with the bat and ball he is finally become a true all rounder. Good to see Gilchrist and Hayden make 50s, now only ponting is left.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Marcus Edward Trescothick:

61 matches, twelve 100's, twenty-four 50's @ 45.57 in Test matches.

Bugger me, leave him be, he's alreet. He's not Hayden or Langer but he's the best we have at the mo,so.

Stop chewin'. :p

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well Langer only averages about 1 run more than Tresco - obviously Langer has the statistical advantage of not having played against the best Test team.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
- Asharaful 20 run over off lee which included two superb sixes

top edging 1 six is lucky, but 2 in the space of 3 balls was a little disturbing, he played 5 bad shots in that over all which could have eaily got him out. Ashraful's innings was poor at best. he went in, got lucky, than put his head down and his strike rate went from 20 (first 10 balls) down below 50 (the rest of his innings not including the first 10 balls).