• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** India v Pakistan

deeps

International 12th Man
PAKMAN said:
soz i thaught that was the indian national anthem
nope it isn't though it seems to be more popular than the actual anthem

"jana kana mana" or something

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
I think coming it at 3 isint a wise choice.. Sehwag can either do it big or get out early.. which will mean if he does India could be 1 down early on.. and Ganguly isint reliable 1 bit.. if he doesnt last it will be 2 down early on.. which puts heaps of pressure on people like Tendulkar and the rest below to get back again..

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
deeps said:
nope it isn't though it seems to be more popular than the actual anthem

"jana kana mana" or something
Yes it is very popular and frankly is more appropriate as the national anthem since "Jana Gana Mana Adhinayak Jay He, Bharat Bhagya Vidhata' (the first line of the National Anthem meaning "Hail the champion of the hearts of the people and land, the decider of the destiny of Bharat or India") was written by Rabindernath Tagore as an accolade to the British Monarch !!

It is amazing that this fact was not kept in mind when deciding upon the National Anthem.

EDITED : I stand corrected on this by Shankar's following post. It is an absolute eye opener for me and i am sure for millions of Indians who believe like I did.

By the way, the poem by Iqbal is absolutely beautiful with my favourite couplet being :-

Mazhab nahin sikhata
Aapas mein bair rakhna
Hindi hain hum, watan hai
Hindostaan hamara

Translation :-

Religion does not preach
Enemity amongst the people
We ar all Indians
And India is our Country.

Appropriate sixty years ago and appropriate today.

For those who confuse Hindi and Hindu with a religion, this is another opportunity to understand that Hindi(as used in this poem) or Hindu was the name given to the people who first lived in the Indus Valley and spread from there to the rst of the Indian sub continent.

The fact that we later started using it also to describe the followers of the Vedic scriptures has led to the confusion about the word Hindu and thois has been misused by fanatics of all colours and hues from all sides, those proclaiming to be Hindus and those procalaimimg to be the champions of the non-Hindus.

This poem by a muslim shoes that even in the 20th century the word Hindi and Hindustan was understood differently AND correctly by the people of the sub continent.

Last edited:

shankar

International Debutant
SJS said:
Yes it is very popular and frankly is more appropriate as the national anthem since "Jana Gana Mana Adhinayak Jay He, Bharat Bhagya Vidhata' (the first line of the National Anthem meaning "Hail the champion of the hearts of the people and land, the decider of the destiny of Bharat or India") was written by SIR Rabindernath Tagore as an accolade to the British Monarch !!
This is a misconception that has gained ground over the last few years. It's cleared up here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jana_Gana_Mana#Controversy

There is some controversy surrounding the appropriateness of this poem to be the national anthem of independent India. This poem was first sung during a convening of the Indian National Congress in 1911. Rabindranath Tagore had submitted the poem as a paean of India's divine destiny, and it was sung on the first day of the convening. The day after, a welcome was given to King George V on his visit to India. It was assumed thenceforth by many that it had been written for the King. However, Tagore is said to have written the poem in honour of God. In particular, given the great patriotism of Tagore, and his involvement in the freedom struggle, people are skeptical that the "protector" refers to the British monarch. Indeed, one of Tagore's greatest moments was his refusal of the British knighthood on grounds of the empire's immoral dealings in its rule of India, a title offered to him by none other than the king (George) about whom some feel Tagore was writing! But most definitive is Tagore's own statement about this, showing this allegation to be myth:

In a letter to Pulin Behari Sen, Tagore later wrote, "A certain high official in His Majesty's service, who was also my friend, had requested that I write a song of felicitation towards the Emperor. The request simply amazed me. It caused a great stir in my heart. In response to that great mental turmoil, I pronounced the victory in Jana Gana Mana of that Bhagya Vidhata [ed. God of Destiny] of India who has from age after age held steadfast the reins of India's chariot through rise and fall, through the straight path and the curved. That Lord of Destiny, that Reader of the Collective Mind of India, that Perennial Guide, could never be George V, George VI, or any other George. Even my official friend understood this about the song. After all, even if his admiration for the crown was excessive, he was not lacking in simple common sense."

mofo123

U19 12th Man
PAKMAN said:
ok now id like to see this team for pakistan
1 butt
2 malik
3 hafeez/younis
4 inzi
5 youhana
6 akmal
7 razzaq
8 afridi
9 rana
10 sami
11 shahid nazir/rao iftekhar/kaneria/arshad
hafeez...plz no! shoaib malik deserves to b in the team a lot more

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
shankar said:
This is a misconception that has gained ground over the last few years. It's cleared up here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jana_Gana_Mana#Controversy

There is some controversy surrounding the appropriateness of this poem to be the national anthem of independent India. This poem was first sung during a convening of the Indian National Congress in 1911. Rabindranath Tagore had submitted the poem as a paean of India's divine destiny, and it was sung on the first day of the convening. The day after, a welcome was given to King George V on his visit to India. It was assumed thenceforth by many that it had been written for the King. However, Tagore is said to have written the poem in honour of God. In particular, given the great patriotism of Tagore, and his involvement in the freedom struggle, people are skeptical that the "protector" refers to the British monarch. Indeed, one of Tagore's greatest moments was his refusal of the British knighthood on grounds of the empire's immoral dealings in its rule of India, a title offered to him by none other than the king (George) about whom some feel Tagore was writing! But most definitive is Tagore's own statement about this, showing this allegation to be myth:

In a letter to Pulin Behari Sen, Tagore later wrote, "A certain high official in His Majesty's service, who was also my friend, had requested that I write a song of felicitation towards the Emperor. The request simply amazed me. It caused a great stir in my heart. In response to that great mental turmoil, I pronounced the victory in Jana Gana Mana of that Bhagya Vidhata [ed. God of Destiny] of India who has from age after age held steadfast the reins of India's chariot through rise and fall, through the straight path and the curved. That Lord of Destiny, that Reader of the Collective Mind of India, that Perennial Guide, could never be George V, George VI, or any other George. Even my official friend understood this about the song. After all, even if his admiration for the crown was excessive, he was not lacking in simple common sense."
Thanks a ton for this Shankar.

I am surprised though that this is not propogated widely. The other theory is almost universally accepted.

Needs some investigation, I would think.

mofo123

U19 12th Man
Vinod Kambli...17 matches...54.5 average and 4 hundreds and he didnt make it, why? possibly the best player to never make it big

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
mofo123 said:
Vinod Kambli...17 matches...54.5 average and 4 hundreds and he didnt make it, why? possibly the best player to never make it big
Rowe is another though his eye injury explains most of it.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It is interesting to see how the Indian one day team - batsmen have performed in 2004 and whether we are fair to Laxman.

Laxman has scored 4 of the 7 centuries scored by India (no other batsman scored more than 1)

Averaged higher than all the Indian batsmen

He got 3 man of the match awards more than any other Indian batsman.

And yet played fewer matches than all of them barring Kaif and Tendulkar (who was injured)

He did not get to play BanglaDesh as others got to do.

And he has not played in ODI's since then !!

Are we really fair in our assessment of Laxman.

Attachments

deeps

International 12th Man
wow that's an interesting analysis..... bearing in mind that the bangladesh matches inflated the averages of many. Would be interesting to see the stats witout bangladesh matches.

Surprised to see sehwag at the bottom of the list, and ganguls above yuvraj.

Steulen

International Regular
As counterpoints: he passed 50 on only 5 occasions, and his average is inflated by 4 n.o.'s.

Having said that, purely on those statistics it's hard to make a case for his exclusion. Maybe not being captain, not being a great fielder and too obviously failing on certain occasions are more responsible for it?