• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** India v Pakistan

Deja moo

International Captain
SJS said:
Yes. I know that too now :)

But it is still no disgrace as it was made out just because he stood there.

I must mention that if he was stunned and shocked, he is unlikely to admit that at the newsconference. Not Ganguly.
Yes, of course, its not a disgrace. I agree.

As for shock, that wasnt shock. For shock, refer to any VVS dismissal ;)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Nnanden said:
Surely he`l be dropped after this? SURELY? Perhaps it seems a bit drastic, but when there is Yuvraj and Kaif in the wings...
And now this recently released from Cricinfo...

"Ganguly didn't play at all and perhaps the time has come for India's selectors to ask themselves, especially with the likes of Mohammad Kaif and Yuvraj Singh riding the pine, if he contributes enough with the bat in Test matches that matter."

:)

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
chaminda_00 said:
I think you guys place to much importance on spelling, but if you guys really want i will use spell check next time. You can so tell the guys that are over 30 when they cry about spelling or texting
That would be too, not to.
It's not just "guys over 30" who make an issue out of spelling and grammar. I think a bit of effort put into spelling and grammar can gain a lot of credibility...
For the record, I'm 19.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
6. Mongia/ Siram
Please, please, PLEASE don't pick that misfit! Plays nothing shots when he's slightly better set, and takes a very long time to get set. Doesn't bother running between the wickets, making VVS Laxman look like Michael Bevan. Lacks the right technique to succeed on pitches that help the bowlers even a little. Not Test standard, and a weak link in ODI's too.

That other player is not too bad, except that he's 29 and may not get into the team easily, unless he is a reserve for the man on the bench.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Nnanden said:
And now this recently released from Cricinfo...

"Ganguly didn't play at all and perhaps the time has come for India's selectors to ask themselves, especially with the likes of Mohammad Kaif and Yuvraj Singh riding the pine, if he contributes enough with the bat in Test matches that matter."

:)
Ramesh Powar Ramesh Powar Ramesh Powar......

And the selectors are such spineless cowards, they don't even make changes where they are needed, even when they have to change the weak link. They pick and drop the fringe players rapidly, but don't dare to drop someone established, even if he's just dry weight in the side.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
U-19 BATSMEN: I hope not Ambati Rayudu- he has been terrible throughout the season. Still, Suresh Raina and Shikhar Dhawan have not been too bad, and have performed well throughout the season.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Duncan said:
So it means India was outplayed... c'mon now... the posts coming from the Indians are quite disappointing...
I keep saying this again and again. Yes, India were outplayed but they had more than a fair share in digging their own graves. I have been praising this Pak side ever since the series started, if you care to read up some of the posts before this. I even said that it was not bad bowling by India but great determined batting by Pakistan that saved the Mohali test, when some others didn't think so. Plz. read up before generalizing ur remarks. And yes, the fact remains that India lost this one more than Pak winning it, juz as Australia lost the Adelaide game more than India winning it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
BTW, I am not really asking for too many changes from this side. Heck, I could even live with Sourav being given another series to prove himself as both captain and player. I just want them to play with better attitudes. Playing negatively when they should have been positive and playing aggressively when they should have been careful, and then playing defensively when they should have played normally....... I think Sourav's bad form has affected his captaincy. And I think Sachin being on and off the side with that tennis elbow hasn't let his mental work as well as it can.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The practice match starts tomorrow....no comments so far. Rayudu and Sanyal (???) replace Dinesh Mongia and JP Yadav.

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
Arjun said:
Ramesh Powar Ramesh Powar Ramesh Powar......

And the selectors are such spineless cowards, they don't even make changes where they are needed, even when they have to change the weak link. They pick and drop the fringe players rapidly, but don't dare to drop someone established, even if he's just dry weight in the side.
Dude Powar is good but if Sriram isn't considered for the test team, then no one else deserves it. The guy has been playing consistently for god knows how long and he's got awesome technique. It doesn't matter if that 29 or 19, you want the best team possible. Powar would be a good bet for the one-day team though, and you're right about selectors dropping fringe players quickly.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
shoot_me said:
Dude Powar is good but if Sriram isn't considered for the test team, then no one else deserves it. The guy has been playing consistently for god knows how long and he's got awesome technique. It doesn't matter if that 29 or 19, you want the best team possible. Powar would be a good bet for the one-day team though, and you're right about selectors dropping fringe players quickly.
Its true about Powar but thats because he seemed fairly competent when he got the opportunity in Pakistan.

Fringe players do have a problem but that cant be helped. You have to take the opportunities that come your way. Look at Yuvraj and Kaif, they have actually won matches for India. WON THEM when there apeared no hope, still they cant take their places for granted. Thats how it is bound to be in a strong batting line up. Where there is a place, as in the opening in tests, India has tried different players.

How do you know a particular youngster is so very good. By you I dont mean you litrally so dont feel offended. People just tend to read newspapers and magazines and come forward with great arguments about who should play and who should not. I can understand such claims about established players whom we have all seen quite a biyt of at the international level. But to make tall claims about youngsters whom one has not seen just like that is a lot of hot air. Of course, some of them might be good but not because some people on this forum have read some articles which say so.

I can show you articlles praising almost everyone who has been named here, surely that cant become a criteria.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The problem is that Arjun seems to think that the Indian FC scene is like the Sheffield Shield or something. So many guys with amazing FC records have been found extremely wanting at the international level and so many guys with rather mediocre FC records have done well at the International level. I have heard a former FC cricketer say that some people have trouble adjusting to being not so good at the International Scene, having been mainstays at the FC level. The "big fish in small pond" syndrome.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
The problem is that Arjun seems to think that the Indian FC scene is like the Sheffield Shield or something. So many guys with amazing FC records have been found extremely wanting at the international level and so many guys with rather mediocre FC records have done well at the International level. I have heard a former FC cricketer say that some people have trouble adjusting to being not so good at the International Scene, having been mainstays at the FC level. The "big fish in small pond" syndrome.
When none of the international stars bothers to play in the domestic circuit, what do you expect the averages to be ?

In the football scene, international footballers from the world over participate.

That is why, once upon a time getting runs in the county circuit meant a lot. Not only all the England stars but top players from West Indies, Pakistan and some from Australia and India and South Africa also played.

Indian domestic circuit makes me really feel I wish I had been born thirty years later.
The standards are very mediocre.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Which is exactly why this argument is valid!

For the first time in his career he isn't as dependable as he used to be...
He is not as dependable at the moment because of the inconsitency I agree. But it does not mean he is past his best as he has shown with the big scores that the skill and ability to score runs is still very much there.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
He is not as dependable at the moment because of the inconsitency I agree. But it does not mean he is past his best as he has shown with the big scores that the skill and ability to score runs is still very much there.
Pratyush,
If you have seen, or remember Marc's earlier signature, you wouldnt get into this argument.

No hard feelings Marc :)

Legglancer

State Regular
SJS said:
Oh comeon. Thats not fair. The fellow was so distraught at being bowled. He just stood their in shock. I really feel sorry for him Its not a great feeling to be brought down from a pedestal.

As for the crowd booing him. It just shows how fickle our sub continental crowds are. I just saw on the Times of India web site a link for sending hate mail to Ganguly.

It is nauseating. This is what we do to our sporting heroes when they are going through bad times. No wonder we are no great sporting nation.
Wow .... SJS what a profound collection of thoughts .......
So India lost the test ..... maybe they made some errors in stratergy which IMO is also mainly due to their "fear of losing" instead of playing for a win ...... All this is perpetuated by the enormous pressure placed by the Indian public. Its really sad to watch such great talent relegated to caricatures of helpless one dimensional figures stripped of their individual flair. I think this phenomenon can be seen in all subcontinant teams. Ganguly is now spoken of as a villan when his expliots are spoken of in awe worldwide ..... He has been recognized as the best Indian Captain.

Pakistani and Sri Lankan teams have to deal with the same social pressures and many a potential great players careers have been extingushed sadly due to this social phenomenon ....

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SJS said:
Pratyush,
If you have seen, or remember Marc's earlier signature, you wouldnt get into this argument.

No hard feelings Marc :)
I can't even remember what this is that you're referring to!