• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** India v Pakistan

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS As for the crowd booing him. It just shows how fickle our sub continental crowds are. I just saw on the Times of India web site a link for [U said:
sending hate mail to Ganguly.[/U]
The English would have criticised Nasser Hussain had he stayed on as captain, started failing while his team was doing well. Similarly for S.Waugh.

Both the above captains gave up captaincy and were apllauded by the crowd.

Ganguly chose to cling on. Had Hussain not retired, how much of a chance would Strauss get in the team. Had Sidhu not come back, woul dGanguly play that match for India himself.

A man who has shown so much of selection acuemen in the past should have known for his own good to chose a good timing if not perfect timing so that such a scenario of a crowd booing didnt arise.

The crowd were not justified in booing but Ganguly but I thought Ganguly was a more intellegent man than to reach the same fate as all his preceding Indian captains.

Cheered when winning and then eventually sacked.

Now it wouldnt have been the best thing to do but if Ganguly had even retired after that great Indian series win in Pakistan, he would be remembered more fondly that he will be now in Indian cricket history. He would be different than the other Indian captains who were sacked.

Age is not the main criteria. Its timing. Lehmann propsered late for Australia. Ganguly had his time in the Indian test team as a captain. The tragedy is he didnt realise the criticism he would face, which is a bit shocking knowing he has been intellegent in making other cricketing decisions during his captaincy tenure.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
SJS said:
Oh comeon. Thats not fair. The fellow was so distraught at being bowled. He just stood their in shock. I really feel sorry for him Its not a great feeling to be brought down from a pedestal.

As for the crowd booing him. It just shows how fickle our sub continental crowds are. I just saw on the Times of India web site a link for sending hate mail to Ganguly.

It is nauseating. This is what we do to our sporting heroes when they are going through bad times. No wonder we are no great sporting nation.

Yes same here. I felt sorry for the guy...he has been one of my faves for quite a while now and it was sickening to see where he has reached now. If any of us was in Ganguly's position, we might have reacted the same way.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
One Loss and Daggers are out. Erm How about Congratulating the Pakistani Team on a well deserved victory. They outplayed India throughout the TEST.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
At least one person agrees with me !!

Consider this: India 87 in the 23rd over, for no loss, cruising comfortably; Sehwag and Gambhir in the midst of a calculated assault on Pakistan's main bowler Danish Kaneria -- and then Sehwag unfortunately run out owing to a bad call and a late change of mind from his partner.

From that point on, 9 Indian wickets managed to add 127 runs in 61 overs.

There is more -- Rahul Dravid (who earlier in this series lifted his average to second highest among Test batsman after Don Bradman), Sachin Tendulkar (who in this innings became the highest run-getter for India in Tests), V V S Laxman (the very very special batsman who worked magic against spin and pace alike in Kolkata against the Aussies) and Sourav Ganguly, the team's captain -- between them managed 39 runs, off 205 deliveries.

This, on a wicket on which, never mind Sehwag, Anil Kumble managed a comfortable 37 off 52 deliveries. And that tells you where India lost this game.

If you are looking for turning points, this was it -- the decision to down shutters the moment Sehwag was gone, the decision to push and prod at every ball with a draw in mind, irrespective of the merit of the delivery itself, caused India's downfall.

And that decision is stunning, when you consider what it really implies -- that the Indian team with its famed middle order has no self confidence, no self belief, and now relies on Sehwag to do everything for them.

Every single wicket that fell, other than Sehwag's run out and Gambhir's leg before wicket, was to a defensive shot -- a fact the Indians could ponder on, when they sit in the dressing room and wonder how they managed to lose a Test they could have won, at the outside, or drawn with a fair degree of comfort.

This line up, supposedly the best players of spin in the world, allowed Shahid Afridi an uninterrupted 7 over run of maidens; they allowed Afridi and even Arshad Khan to bowl with six, then seven (eight, if you count the wicketkeeper) around the bat. With that kind of field, even mi***** were guaranteed to be safe; there was a four to be had each time you pushed past the close cordon (ask Kumble).

And yet batsman after famed batsman stood there, petrified, pushing, prodding -- for all the world as if this pitch was a minefield, and the Pak bowlers were saying it with hand grenades.

Prem Panicker in the article Doomed by defence
March 28, 2005
Rediff DOT com

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
One Loss and Daggers are out. Erm How about Congratulating the Pakistani Team on a well deserved victory. They outplayed India throughout the TEST.
No one denies Pakistan the congratulations on their wonderful victory. :)

I must say the discussion we have had in the last few pages on Indian cricket has been very good. Much better than any Indian channel can have.

Which is why cricket web is so good.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
The English would have criticised Nasser Hussain had he stayed on as captain, started failing while his team was doing well. Similarly for S.Waugh.

Both the above captains gave up captaincy and were apllauded by the crowd.

Ganguly chose to cling on. Had Hussain not retired, how much of a chance would Strauss get in the team. Had Sidhu not come back, woul dGanguly play that match for India himself.

A man who has shown so much of selection acuemen in the past should have known for his own good to chose a good timing if not perfect timing so that such a scenario of a crowd booing didnt arise.

The crowd were not justified in booing but Ganguly but I thought Ganguly was a more intellegent man than to reach the same fate as all his preceding Indian captains.

Cheered when winning and then eventually sacked.

Now it wouldnt have been the best thing to do but if Ganguly had even retired after that great Indian series win in Pakistan, he would be remembered more fondly that he will be now in Indian cricket history. He would be different than the other Indian captains who were sacked.

Age is not the main criteria. Its timing. Lehmann propsered late for Australia. Ganguly had his time in the Indian test team as a captain. The tragedy is he didnt realise the criticism he would face, which is a bit shocking knowing he has been intellegent in making other cricketing decisions during his captaincy tenure.
Waugh was to retire. Ganguly is not due for retirement.

He is in bad form and dropping him is not HIS decision.

You cant boo him for playing if the selectors select him

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
SJS said:
Oh comeon. Thats not fair. The fellow was so distraught at being bowled. He just stood their in shock. I really feel sorry for him Its not a great feeling to be brought down from a pedestal.

As for the crowd booing him. It just shows how fickle our sub continental crowds are. I just saw on the Times of India web site a link for sending hate mail to Ganguly.

It is nauseating. This is what we do to our sporting heroes when they are going through bad times. No wonder we are no great sporting nation.
Great post there,which made mine post look really bad...

But you know it too,Ganguly shud be out of the team or else he has to prove his worth other than his captaincy in the team...

Where did you read about that Hatemail link in TOI? If its true then I too think its disgusting...

Beleg

International Regular
So, what do you people think this win will do to Inzy's captainacy? What do you think about his leadership on the field today?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
Waugh was to retire. Ganguly is not due for retirement.

He could have thuoght of giving up captaincy in an honourable way to prevent a sacking and letting the selectors decide his faith rather than himself. That would be different and appreciated.

Most people wouldnt have insight to do this.

Hussain apparently did. He did give up captaincy and later retired.

Like Hussain Ganguly could have given up captaincy and be more homoured for that.

He wouldnt retire right now but that would be some thing he could do later in his career too like Hussain did when he saw Strauss and the likes coming through. It is Ganguly's option really whether he would like to compete with the youngsters like Kaif, Yuvraj after a sacking or retire honourably if he got sacked as captain.

I do not know the exact circumstances but Ravi Shastri did retire very young. Its timing which is very important in giving up captaincy and retirement. Not just age.

Consider this - he gave up captaincy from tests after winning in Pakistan.

He retired from tests after the India-Australia test series sighting giving chance to youngsters like Yuvraj. Hussain did some thing like that although a bit older and how much the English love him.

Cheers.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
nikhil1772 said:
Where did you read about that Hatemail link in TOI? If its true then I too think its disgusting...
I didnt read about it. I saw it. Its on the sports page of Times of India online.

I was shocked. It is an official lin of Times of India a newspaper with a tradition of over one hundred and fifty years.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

But it also shows what type of public they think they are adressing. It is a commentary on all of us !!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Beleg said:
So, what do you people think this win will do to Inzy's captainacy? What do you think about his leadership on the field today?
He definitely must have lost 3-4 kgs of wieght as Ravi Shastri said!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry I stand corrected. It is on TimesofIndia's home page !!

The bolds below are some of the links on that page.

BANGALORE TEST | DAY 5

Pak beat India by 168 runs, square series

The great Indian batting line-up once again failed to deliver as Pakistan defeated India by 168 runs in a thriller to square the three-Test series 1-1.
Scorecard

Send hate mail to Sourav Ganguly

Pakistan's India tour: Full Coverage

[ 05:09 pm Mon, Mar 28, 2005, INDIATIMES CRICKET ]
Pune girl is new Miss India

The crown went to 23-yr-old Amrita Thappar while the first runner-up was Sindhura Gadde.
Pics: Pond's Femina Miss India

Video: Amrita Thapar crowned Miss India

[ 02:20 am Mon, Mar 28, 2005, TIMES NEWS NETWORK ]​

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:

Very good point. Once a player is selected they will try as best they can. If a player is not contributing to the team's cause but continually gets selected anyway, it is the selectors at fault. I can't think of many players who would refuse to play if selected, and most players, Ganguly included, will do their utmost to perform if given the opportunity by selectors, whether the selection is a good one or not.

Sudeep

International Captain
Times Of India Website said:
Send hate mail to Sourav Ganguly

As Ganguly gets all the accolades for an Indian victory it is only fair that he bears the brunt for India's defeat at Bangalore.

Send your protestations, frustrations and suggestions to the Indian skipper, a frontline batsman, who scored just 48 runs in the last five innings against Pakistan!
Ridiculous.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
More innings over 150 which have proved more vital. More useful batsman.
I think one who gets a start far more often is more useful to a team than one who gets such inconsistent scores.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Like Hussain Ganguly could have given up captaincy and be more homoured for that.
Hussain gave up the captaincy because he saw someone else doing a very good job which in his mind was better than he could do.

Is that situation the same for Ganguly?