• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

adharcric

International Coach
If the question is did dropping him do good to him in the long run then the answer is yes...If the question is were there good enough alternatives for whom he was dropped then the answer is no...For some the second criterion might be useful as well...
For that third test in South Africa, almost anyone would've been a better option than Sehwag - the way he had been batting in the first two tests, one really couldn't see him scoring runs or even lasting more than a few overs against that attack on that surface. On the brink of throwing away such a rare superb start to a tour like that, India were desperate for a decent stand at the top. Karthik was a questionable choice but he proved everyone wrong for one match and Sehwag suddenly became expendable, especially given that England was up next and Sehwag was owned by the English bowlers last time around on Indian pitches. Yeah, I'm not going to argue that there were great alternatives for Sehwag but he needed a break and it's great that Karthik made the opening spot his own at that time.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Another 100 for us and Lanka in trouble.
And we are looking good for another 150 at least, that'll be very challenging for SL...Specially with in-form Harbhajan in side...Though we won't mind anything more than another 150 :) ...

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gambhir's driving against the spinners is absolutely gorgeous. He is looking really nimble with his footwork today. Hope he can convert this to give him some confidence going forward.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
This truly is a great contest. Very evenly matched teams on an exciting (yet not substandard) surface for the spinners - this is how subcontinent Test cricket should be.

duffer

That wicket hurts. Fantastic bowling though outfoxing a good player of spin in good nick.

Dissector

International Debutant
It's become one of my life goals to watch a test match at Galle one day; how cool is it being able to watch cricket from a fort. Plus the Galle pitch seems to be very sporting with something for batsmen, spinners and quicks.

duffer

Sachin's come in with intent to dominate. Loving it, even Rahul is trying to get on top of them too.

duffer

Don't want to jinx him but he's starting to caress it around like the Rahul we know and love.

pasag

RTDAS
Only following on cricinfo but really excellent batting for mine. Led by Sehwag, they've quickly and swiftly took the initative and the Test away from SL. Superb stuff.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
This looks like a match for Dravid and Tendi both to hit 100s. The openers have done well and their attack has been relatively ineffective. They've started well and can go on from here.

duffer

Murali hasn't bowled well at all for mine. Shown very little patience and is resorting firing it in a bit too often for mine. That said, he'll probably come on now and take a quick 3 or 4 to make me look a dolt.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not happy with Sachin there - hopefully Ganguly can keep up the good work. I'd want at least another 100-120 runs.

duffer

This is where the review system is really going to be tested. Not sure how it could be conclusively proven that would've hit the stumps without Hawkeye. Rahul not happy with it, with pretty good reason in my opinion.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Only followin the cricinfo commentary like many others. Anyway was just wondering what is a decent total to defend on that pitch?

duffer

Only followin the cricinfo commentary like many others. Anyway was just wondering what is a decent total to defend on that pitch?
Score as many with the new ball and just grind them out after that methinks. If India get 275-300 Lanka will be in trouble.