• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't see what hiding Mendis will achieve here. Runs are comin rapidly here and no pressure is being exerted.

duffer

Could it be that mahela is protecting him from Sehwag ? :huh:
It probably was the reason, but I cn't understand it. Surely Mendis is his best hope of getting Sehwag as well. Even is Viru thinks he's picking them Mendis has enough natural variation that he could get him.

Dissector

International Debutant
Since Mendis doesn't rely so much on turn I would have thought he would have been a better option than Murali with the new ball. And when the batsmen weren't settled in he might have had a better chance of a wicket. Anyway the game is drifting away from Sri Lanka here.

duffer

First time Viru's backed up a first innings century with a second innings 50? Hope he can get himself another big score, another session or so of Sehwag and we'd have Lanka over a barrel for mine.

Dissector

International Debutant
Yeah, as I said I thought it would be Laxman at 3. Hope Dravid can do a Collingwood here. His first overs from Mendis will surely be one of the biggest tests of his career.

duffer

Yeah, as I said I thought it would be Laxman at 3. Hope Dravid can do a Collingwood here. His first overs from Mendis will surely be one of the biggest tests of his career.
Yep, I reckon this will be Gambhir's biggest knock in Tests as well. He's picking the spinners really well, it's all about whether he has the hunger to make big runs when he's playing well. As the only batsman left with any semblance of good form he's got to take this on his shoulders.

adharcric

International Coach
Regarding Sehwag, he's a great cricketer but let's not get carried away - he was very deservedly dropped back on that tour of South Africa - he was batting like an absolute idiot, was out of shape and hadn't made meaningful runs in a while (don't bring up that **** ton on that flat track in the West Indies). Since returning to the test side, he's looked a changed batsman and I'm very glad he was dropped at that time - somewhat similar to Ganguly's situation. Brilliant knock yesterday.

Last edited:

duffer

Vicious turn for Mendis there. Which, at this stage, is probably good news for India.
Yes, Harbhajan would've loved seeing that. Up untill the last one which beat him Rahul has looked far more assertive with his feet. Gambhir looking really good against Murali as well. Hope this inspires some confidence in our middle order.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Regarding Sehwag, he's a great cricketer but let's not get carried away - he was very deservedly dropped back on that tour of South Africa - he was batting like an absolute idiot, was out of shape and hadn't made meaningful runs in a while (don't bring up that **** ton on that flat track in the West Indies). Since returning to the test side, he's looked a changed batsman and I'm very glad he was dropped at that time - somewhat similar to Ganguly's situation. Brilliant knock yesterday.
If the question is did dropping him do good to him in the long run then the answer is yes...If the question is were there good enough alternatives for whom he was dropped then the answer is no...For some the second criterion might be useful as well...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
India with the upper hand in the match...And a highly held one...Great test match for Sehwag...Good to see Harbhajan bowling well against a good line-up...

duffer

Great session for us. Gambhir looking very good, and Rahul relatively untroubled against Mendis so far. Another 100 for us and Lanka in trouble. Harbhajan and Kumble will be in business tomorrow.

Dissector

International Debutant
At this stage it's looking quite possible that India might have to make a declaration tomorrow. That would be tricky because it's not clear the pitch is actually that bad and there is always the rain factor in Sri Lanka at this time of the year.

I would want at least four sessions to bowl Sri Lanka out. If we score 90 runs a session we would have a lead of 430 at tea tomorrow which should be enough. If we bat more aggressively we could declare somewhere in the middle of the second session tomorrow.