• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has Sehwag ever carried his bat in a test? Can't recall the last time it happened tbh.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
First and probably the last time I'll ever see a batsman not take a single when he's on 199

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, Sharma calling for the review to try and save himself. Shouldn't be reversed, could still see the leg stump at point of contact.

EDIT: And he's out. Sehwag carries his bat on 201*

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
He was a long way forward though. I would like to see what Hawkeye had to say about it hitting the stumps.

Top_Cat

6-fer after being absolutely smashed against the Indian batting line-up which still contains some decent players of spin. Nice work. Early days yet but Mendis looks like he's more than a bag of tricks.

JBH001

International Regular
I agree TC. Even after the first test, and an avalanche of comments on CW notwithstanding I still had a few doubts about Mendis. I still have a couple of reservations regarding a long term and successful test career for Mendis, but I am starting to think that he may indeed be the real thing. 6 for on a flat track after an initial pounding is a truly splendid performance.

If he is, I hope he has the same mental fortitude Murali has displayed over the years in virtually carrying the SL attack, at home and especially overseas. Because that is what it may come down to. Unless of course SL has the good fortune to unearth another (or two) crop of decent long term test bowlers.

Last edited:

JBH001

International Regular
Also, fantastic knock by Viru.

Is this the highest percentage of a team score made by an individual batsman in a completed inning? From recollection the record is somewhere around the 65% - 70% mark (I know Gooch played a similar knock against I think WI in the early 90s where he scored well over 60% of the teams score in one match). Would be interesting if anyone has any info on that record in regard to Viru in this inning.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Geez Mendis bowled well today (and yesterday) picking up 6 wickets. Sehwag did well to bat through the whole innings, and his 201* was just incredible. He is showing that age is no factor to him. He will still be going in a couple of year in my opinion. He is also in great form, and that 300 he got, along with today, shows his fitness and dedication. Looking forward to seeing how Sri Lanka reply to this...

Top_Cat

I agree TC. Even after the first test, and an avalanche of comments on CW notwithstanding I still had a few doubts about Mendis. I still have a couple of reservations regarding a long term and successful test career for Mendis, but I am starting to think that he may indeed be the real thing. 6 for one a flat track after an initial pounding is a truly splendid performance.

If he is, I hope he has the same mental fortitude Murali has displayed over the years in virtually carrying the SL attack, at home and especially overseas. Because that is what it may come down to. Unless of course SL has the good fortune to unearth another (or two) crop of decent long term test bowlers.
You wonder whether Murali will continue on for a couple of years longer than he would have just to put his record a bit further out of reach of Mendis; he'd be a bit worried about it!

Like I said, early days indeed but Mendis has at least shown he's got some ticker about him. Reckon he'll do better when on his first tour of Aus than Murali's combined two.

Top_Cat

Geez Mendis bowled well today (and yesterday) picking up 6 wickets. Sehwag did well to bat through the whole innings, and his 201* was just incredible. He is showing that age is no factor to him. He will still be going in a couple of year in my opinion. He is also in great form, and that 300 he got, along with today, shows his fitness and dedication. Looking forward to seeing how Sri Lanka reply to this...
:huh:

He's only 29, ya know. Got a few years yet.

shankar

International Debutant
Really impressed with Sehwag not taking the single on 199. Not too many batsmen who'd do that. Could've got to 350 if it weren't for some moronic batting from the tail.

pasag

RTDAS

Is this the highest percentage of a team score made by an individual batsman in a completed inning? From recollection the record is somewhere around the 65% - 70% mark (I know Gooch played a similar knock against I think WI in the early 90s where he scored well over 60% of the teams score in one match). Would be interesting if anyone has any info on that record in regard to Viru in this inning.
http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283999.html

Nah Prince EWS great great uncle still holds the record. Should be seventh there if my calculations are correct (rarely are) which is fantastic.

Last edited:

JBH001

International Regular
You wonder whether Murali will continue on for a couple of years longer than he would have just to put his record a bit further out of reach of Mendis; he'd be a bit worried about it!
Haha! :D

Tbh, I dont think Mendis will match Murali in terms of wickets (or ability). Seriously, I doubt anyone will get close to Murali (or Warne) in the wicket taking stakes in the future.

As I said though, I still want to wait and see. His second and third year in test cricket will be the real test. It is still, imo, just a little too early to tell, despite some genuine promise.

Like I said, early days indeed but Mendis has at least shown he's got some ticker about him. Reckon he'll do better when on his first tour of Aus than Murali's combined two.
Touche! Probably a fair call too. :D

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant

I think Bannerman still holds that record. His 165/245 was around 67%. Sehwag today was around 61%.